Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times

Advertisements

Appears as though the East will likely see positive height anomalies with the NAO and AO indicies staying positive as well. I see a huge height anomaly in the north Pacific just south of the Gulf of Alaska. This will likely lead to below average temperatures in the central states. The southeast ridge is quite stubborn, though. The GFS forecasts a mild tongue of warm air for most of next week yet again. We will see how the month plays out, but it looks above average for the most part along with the coast with below average temperatures west of the Mississippi river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Looks like most of the southeast will experience below normal temperatures after monday of next week, and the Northeast close to average. This blowtorch thing is overblown.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Our November looks like it was one of the warmest on record. I don't think it's overblown.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:30 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Our November looks like it was one of the warmest on record. I don't think it's overblown.
Sorry, was thinking mostly for the Southeast U.S. But yes, you guys had quite a mild november.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:34 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,777 times
Well, you can thank the + AO and +NAO for this. Those aren't going to change anytime soon.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:18 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,796,028 times
Given the temperatures of blowtorches on the eastern seaboard, I expect development to quickly regress to simple turf dwellings.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:24 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
November 2011 here was the second warmest on record.

December though, is shaping up to be average, maybe slightly below with the first snowfall to sea level occurring in Scotland today, and perhaps in England over the coming days.

Nice to see winter return.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Well, you can thank the + AO and +NAO for this. Those aren't going to change anytime soon.
Hmm. Winter 2009-2010 had a strong negative AO and NAO and it was warmer than usual but not extremely so.

In fact, the website suggested that a negative AO might have made New England warmer rather colder.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:01 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Appears as though the East will likely see positive height anomalies with the NAO and AO indicies staying positive as well. I see a huge height anomaly in the north Pacific just south of the Gulf of Alaska. This will likely lead to below average temperatures in the central states. The southeast ridge is quite stubborn, though. The GFS forecasts a mild tongue of warm air for most of next week yet again. We will see how the month plays out, but it looks above average for the most part along with the coast with below average temperatures west of the Mississippi river.
Agreed...that's pretty much the thinking by everyone now. The Atlantic ridge will keep Florida and even much the eastern Gulf/South Atlantic warmer than normal much of December I think. With some troughness just to the east of the Rockies, and a positive NAO... I think only the far northern tier from MT to upper New England will see any real winter in the next 2 to 4 weeks. The cold temps will stay in the West - central part of the USA.

Fine by me

JL talks about how December will see only a small change from the November pattern....

AccuWeather.com - Joe Lundberg | Different, But Somewhat the Same (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/Lundberg/different-but-s/58489 - broken link)

AccuWeather.com - Brett Anderson | Siberian Express into the West Next Week (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/siberian-express-into-the-west-next-week/58497 - broken link)

Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Agreed...that's pretty much the thinking by everyone now. The Atlantic ridge will keep Florida and even much the eastern Gulf/South Atlantic warmer than normal much of December I think. With some troughness just to the east of the Rockies, and a positive NAO... I think only the far northern tier from MT to upper New England will see any real winter in the next 2 to 4 weeks. The cold temps will stay in the West - central part of the USA.

Fine by me

JL talks about how December will see only a small change from the November pattern....

AccuWeather.com - Joe Lundberg | Different, But Somewhat the Same (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/Lundberg/different-but-s/58489 - broken link)

AccuWeather.com - Brett Anderson | Siberian Express into the West Next Week (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/siberian-express-into-the-west-next-week/58497 - broken link)
It can all change on a dime. Mr. Wavehunter knows that all too well..last December looked like a winter dud too..and look what happened..by the middle of January Mr. Wavehunter was buried up to his eyeballs in snow...haha...didn't hear a peep outta him for a month..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather