Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:59 AM

830 posts, read 1,728,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I'll still take a Minnesota winter over a Phoenix summer.
I WAS GOING TO POST THAT!!!!! since ppl kept commenting that detroit winters are mild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 04:59 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Summer in Phoenix....
Just realised my mistake..... I said "summer in phoenix" meaning that's what I would prefer, not what is worse.

Worse is definitely any kind of winter.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:47 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Yes the other post is correct. You can not compare a Hot Phx"Valley in the Sun" to the Mi. We have many folks who retreat to the elevations like Flagstaff, or Prescott or even Sedona. Those of us that have to work year round, one does get climatized. First year is the toughest.
Its funny I have been here for 5 Long years and now if the temp. dips to 98 degrees I think we are in heaven. The key is to plan your day here in the summer.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:45 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,461 times
Is winter in Detroit really that cold? I know it's far from mild, and it snows a good amount, but it's not Minneapolis or Fargo. Don't get me wrong, i don't like the cold, but i think summer in Phoenix would be unbearable, especially if you have to work outdoors.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:10 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I'm familiar with extreme heat, but not extreme cold, so I'll go with what I know.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:11 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm familiar with extreme heat, but not extreme cold, so I'll go with what I know.
Detroit is not extreme cold though, it's mild cold, which is easier on you than extreme heat

I'd rather take a winter in Yakutsk than a summer in Phoenix.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:19 PM

643 posts, read 1,393,855 times
Having lived in Phoenix for 6 years I can say those summers or horrific. The electric bill go's sky high. everything you touch burns you. nothing worse than getting in a hot car and trying to drive it. the nights stay over 100 as well. I had a tire blowout that made me do a 360 on the loop 202 in Phoenix. The tire had good tread the problem is that the heat causes tires to rupture and the highways are littered with tire shreds. I would buy a gun and kill myself over living another summer there and I have a pretty good life. Thats serious talk thats how much I hate Phoenix summers (well the nine months out of the year it's hot there). Actually I set that status under my name when I lived there and don't know how to change it.......

Old 01-09-2012, 12:59 AM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times
^^ matt you just described all the reasons why I hate hot summers. Some of the people here need to be school by you lol.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:14 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
Having lived in Phoenix for 6 years I can say those summers or horrific. The electric bill go's sky high. everything you touch burns you. nothing worse than getting in a hot car and trying to drive it. the nights stay over 100 as well. I had a tire blowout that made me do a 360 on the loop 202 in Phoenix. The tire had good tread the problem is that the heat causes tires to rupture and the highways are littered with tire shreds. I would buy a gun and kill myself over living another summer there and I have a pretty good life. Thats serious talk thats how much I hate Phoenix summers (well the nine months out of the year it's hot there). Actually I set that status under my name when I lived there and don't know how to change it.......
Yeah, the car issue is what would get to me in Phoenix. I just don't think I could take getting into a burning hot car every day. Plus, you can be in the cold and snow for hours, fairly comfortably, as long as you are properly dressed. A human just really can't take the same exposure to the elements in a Phoenix July as one can in a Detroit January. I know Detroit is where I'd rather be if my car breaks down in the middle of nowhere. Well, at least for climate-exposure purposes, LOL.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Detroit is not extreme cold though, it's mild cold, which is easier on you than extreme heat

I'd rather take a winter in Yakutsk than a summer in Phoenix.
It's extreme compared to what I'm used to. I'd rather take Phoenix summer than NYC winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather