Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least Fave weather
Cold 33 27.27%
Heat 45 37.19%
Drizzle 35 28.93%
Fog/Mist 22 18.18%
Rain 15 12.40%
Sunny 12 9.92%
Overcast/cloudy 30 24.79%
Humid 34 28.10%
Icy/frosty 28 23.14%
Cold 26 21.49%
Windy 21 17.36%
Hail 16 13.22%
Thunder 9 7.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:56 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,640 times

Advertisements

Heat and humidity. Ie. a North Carolina summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 09:03 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,104 times
I chose heat

Those sky high electricity bills from cranking my AC 24-7

But a close second for me is wind

Wind can make any temperature feel bad

Windy days sure put a damper on outdoor fun

Old 01-07-2012, 09:59 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,150 times
Heat, humidity, and sunshine for me, in that order. I loathe heat and have a high sensitivity to it, and it is by far the worst for me. Humidity when combined with heat is even worse, but high relative humidities when it isn't hot (say, temps <65 Fahrenheit) are tolerable, but still I don't like them. I prefer dry conditions at all times (when compatible with my preferences for stormy weather (and no, not the summer thunderstorm kind )). Dew points less than 20 Fahrenheit and relative humidities of around 25% are optimal for me, and are most important during the summer (or warm season).

Sunshine is the other weather that is my least favorite, especially when it is warm or hot. I prefer short days and low sun, since my build finds it more pleasant than long days going on too late in the evening (partly because of Daylight Saving Time) and high strong sun, as is the preference of the heat-and-sunshine crowd, which is considered the norm in Western culture. Not that I have anything against these people (if you find strong sun pleasant that's just fine by me), but all climate preferences should be accepted and preference for cold and dark should not be stigmatized as it is today. Moreover, sunshine adds to the heat factor, which is my primary dislike. It's harder to control my environment's light level when it is sunny as when it is cloudy or dark (as strange as that sounds it's true - just look at the unevenness next time you open your blinds). I actually don't mind sunshine when it is cooler - in fact, some of my favorite weather moments come when it is sunny and cold after a snowstorm, or when it is 45 Fahrenheit and sunny in springtime. However, when it is taken to excess, when there is sunshine for more than a few days at a time, or goes on nearly uninterrupted for 5, 10, or 15 days, I just go crazy and can't stand the monotony of it no matter how cold it is. That said, when there is unvariegated overcast for days on end I tire of the monotony, but it doesn't drive me nuts like long periods of sun does. When the overcast is not flat and boring, this effect isn't experienced by me (click this to see what I mean: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-July_2000.jpg). Although I count sunshine as one of my least favorite weather events, I prefer a decent mix of clouds and sun, biased toward clouds (1200-2400 sunshine hours/year).

I would also like to present the other side of the coin, among the choices presented. My favorites among the choices are Cold, Windy, and Icy/Frosty (Snow is conspicuously absent; my real favorites are cold/snow/wind - that's awesome). Drizzle, Rain, Fog/Mist, Hail, and Thunder I am indifferent to, with some caveats. Rain can be a pain if it is taken to excess, if it rains all the time, making the soil consistently wet and muddy, wet plants, and producing wet pavement. That I don't like. I also don't care for pouring, heavy rain, since it makes me soggy and wet, and I don't like that feeling. However, for short periods pouring is fine.

Fog can be neat at times. Thunderstorms can also be neat, and I don't mind them, as long as they aren't the kind that occur during hot/humid periods, bringing the temperature down to just below 80 Fahrenheit, but making the air even more humid when it heats up again.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:19 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
Hail. I don't think I've seen hail we here we live now, but there are hail corridors all around here. I've seen entire crops wiped out a few times-hail insurance isn't something to be ignored. Extended periods without rain aren't much fun for me either, the impact on crops/pasture and bottom line profit sucks.

Other than that I don't mind the other things on the list, as they either don't really happen here a lot, or don't last for long.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:19 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
Heat and humidity, especially together.

Out of all those options, my favourite would be a tie between snow and thunderstorms, love them both, just a shame thunderstorms are usually associated with heat.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:42 AM

690 posts, read 1,201,950 times
Windy. Mainly because when it is actually warm enough to sit outside, i cant actually do anything because the wind blows my newspaper away or my paper napkin or any half empty drinks can if I am eating.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:51 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Heat and humidity, especially together.

Out of all those options, my favourite would be a tie between snow and thunderstorms, love them both, just a shame thunderstorms are usually associated with heat.
Oh man, definetly together. But I chose 1 thing only. Heat. The rest I can tolerate. I woulda chose Ice too, but its with frosty so not sure if it meant morning ice.

You can get thunder in the winter at 45 degrees. northEast did couple weeks ago. ..but storms, yeah, real heat creates the instability and storms.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:54 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,109 times
Overcast plus rain, followed by overcast.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,216,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Heat, humidity, and sunshine for me, in that order. I loathe heat and have a high sensitivity to it, and it is by far the worst for me. Humidity when combined with heat is even worse, but high relative humidities when it isn't hot (say, temps <65 Fahrenheit) are tolerable, but still I don't like them. I prefer dry conditions at all times (when compatible with my preferences for stormy weather (and no, not the summer thunderstorm kind )). Dew points less than 20 Fahrenheit and relative humidities of around 25% are optimal for me, and are most important during the summer (or warm season).

Sunshine is the other weather that is my least favorite, especially when it is warm or hot. I prefer short days and low sun, since my build finds it more pleasant than long days going on too late in the evening (partly because of Daylight Saving Time) and high strong sun, as is the preference of the heat-and-sunshine crowd, which is considered the norm in Western culture. Not that I have anything against these people (if you find strong sun pleasant that's just fine by me), but all climate preferences should be accepted and preference for cold and dark should not be stigmatized as it is today. Moreover, sunshine adds to the heat factor, which is my primary dislike. It's harder to control my environment's light level when it is sunny as when it is cloudy or dark (as strange as that sounds it's true - just look at the unevenness next time you open your blinds). I actually don't mind sunshine when it is cooler - in fact, some of my favorite weather moments come when it is sunny and cold after a snowstorm, or when it is 45 Fahrenheit and sunny in springtime. However, when it is taken to excess, when there is sunshine for more than a few days at a time, or goes on nearly uninterrupted for 5, 10, or 15 days, I just go crazy and can't stand the monotony of it no matter how cold it is. That said, when there is unvariegated overcast for days on end I tire of the monotony, but it doesn't drive me nuts like long periods of sun does. When the overcast is not flat and boring, this effect isn't experienced by me (click this to see what I mean: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-July_2000.jpg). Although I count sunshine as one of my least favorite weather events, I prefer a decent mix of clouds and sun, biased toward clouds (1200-2400 sunshine hours/year).

I would also like to present the other side of the coin, among the choices presented. My favorites among the choices are Cold, Windy, and Icy/Frosty (Snow is conspicuously absent; my real favorites are cold/snow/wind - that's awesome). Drizzle, Rain, Fog/Mist, Hail, and Thunder I am indifferent to, with some caveats. Rain can be a pain if it is taken to excess, if it rains all the time, making the soil consistently wet and muddy, wet plants, and producing wet pavement. That I don't like. I also don't care for pouring, heavy rain, since it makes me soggy and wet, and I don't like that feeling. However, for short periods pouring is fine.

Fog can be neat at times. Thunderstorms can also be neat, and I don't mind them, as long as they aren't the kind that occur during hot/humid periods, bringing the temperature down to just below 80 Fahrenheit, but making the air even more humid when it heats up again.
I generally agree. A few clear days a month are fine, but excessive sunshine does get really boring after a while. I've never cared for the long days of summer. A good trade for the longer days would be overcast afternoons, but of course it doesn't usually work that way. Quite annoying to have sunshine blasting at 5 or 6 in the evening. And of course sun just adds to the discomfort of heat and humidity during the summer. Even during the relatively pleasant month of September, the afternoon sun can make it feel uncomfortable warm.

With that said, I still didn't vote for sun or humidity, because I don't mind some sunny weather from time-to-time nor do I usually dislike humidity when the temperatures are cooler. Heat I could do without. Warmest temperatures of the year I would prefer to experience would be in the 75-80 F range.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:07 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,737,655 times
Heat first, humidity when combined with heat. I could say the same for sunshine, but it bothers me less than humidity and also, I forgot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather