Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most diverse in climate?
China 24 16.11%
America 113 75.84%
India 7 4.70%
Russia 5 3.36%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 01:36 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think the US doesn't even have true Oceanic climates - if you look at areas of the PNW that some consider Oceanic, it only comes in one flavour .... a very strongly pronounced summer dry season.

This is in total contrast to an Oceanic climate like NZ where summer rainfall peaks can transition to winter rainfall peaks, to spring rainfall peaks, in only a short distance - this is what Oceanic climates are about.
The US does have such "everwet" oceanic climates. But only through coastal Alaska.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneau,_Alaska#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitka,_Alaska#Climate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 11:53 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemahkami View Post
The US does have such "everwet" oceanic climates. But only through coastal Alaska.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneau,_Alaska#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitka,_Alaska#Climate
I can't really regard these as Oceanic climates in the way that I mean. - Joe90's rule of thumb for classification, is that if you can't relate your climate to a climate in a different region(in a meaningful way), then it isn't in the same classification ..... and there ain't any relatin going on here as I see it.

Having these climate as the example of US Oceanic climates, to me validates that the US has no true Oceanic climates...... It might technically tick the box, but in practice, a climate the same as what NZ offers is completely absent in the US.

Last edited by Joe90; 12-11-2021 at 12:05 AM..

Old 12-23-2021, 01:51 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,862 times
It seems to me that the US, even considering only the 48 contiguous states, is considerably more climatically diverse than China.

The following plots show annual averages of numerous weather stations of both countries. Obviously the results are dependent of the amount and location of stations, but both countries are well covered, being the very cold mountain peaks and the very wet spots (generally located on mountain slopes) the most prone areas to be missing. Anyway hyper-wet spots aren’t that different from nearby wet areas, and below freezing peaks aren’t very heterogeneous despite the temperature differences they might achieve.

USA (Contiguous States)

China

USA (Contiguous States)

China

USA (Contiguous States)

China

Old 12-30-2021, 05:36 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curleriren View Post
The US has true Oceanic climates, and just because it isn’t like your ****ty New Zealand climate doesn’t make it not Oceanic.

Your only arguments involve comparing everywhere to your climate to define whether they’re inadequate or not, too cold/hot or not. It’s utterly insane, you’re the most conceited, jealous person on this forum
All climates within the same classification should be relatable - if they aren't, then what in the heck are they trying to define?..... I flippin well tell you what they are trying to define - like climates that can only be related by numbers, not human perception.

Classification is anti- human.

Old 12-31-2021, 06:03 AM

2,828 posts, read 1,409,859 times
Probably not the only person to say this, but it really amazes me how diverse the Lower 48 alone is with regard to climate.

Looking at the Wiki Commons map, nearly every type of climate is present. From tundra to tropical and nearly everything in between.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:50 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
It seems to me that the US, even considering only the 48 contiguous states, is considerably more climatically diverse than China.

The following plots show annual averages of numerous weather stations of both countries. Obviously the results are dependent of the amount and location of stations, but both countries are well covered, being the very cold mountain peaks and the very wet spots (generally located on mountain slopes) the most prone areas to be missing. Anyway hyper-wet spots aren’t that different from nearby wet areas, and below freezing peaks aren’t very heterogeneous despite the temperature differences they might achieve.

USA (Contiguous States)

China

USA (Contiguous States)

China

USA (Contiguous States)

China
Well, honestly and going by those charts I don't see that much of a difference. In all but one variable they're pretty even (and perhaps China a bit more diverse!) with the clear exception of seasonality, that being the only "weak point" for China here, or in better words: China is way more homogenous and seasonal in terms of Pp pattern than the US. But obviously if we include the other two states (mainly Alaska) the then US would get a considerable boost in temps range.

Old 03-02-2022, 09:23 PM

10 posts, read 7,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimkin199 View Post
USA has 20 Koppen climate types: Af, Am, Aw, BWh, BWk, BWk, BSk, Csa, Csb, Cfa, Cfb, Dsa, Dsb, Dfa, Dfb, Dfc, Dwa, Dwb, Dwc, ET.
India has 18 Koppen climate types: Am, Aw, BWh, BWk, BSh, BSk, Csa, Cfa, Cfb, Cwa, Cwb, Cwc, Dsb, Dfa, Dfb, Dwc, Dwd, ET.
China has 13 Koppen climate types: Am, Aw, BWk, BSh, BSk, Dsb, Dfa, Dfb, Dwa, Dwb, Dwc, Dwd, ET.
Russia has 13 Koppen climate type: BWk, BSk, Cfa, Dsc, Dsd, Dfa, Dfb, Dfc, Dfd, Dwa, Dwb, Dsc, Dwd, ET.
So, USA is winner.
India has 19, if you consider south nicobar islands (kondul island) you get subequatorial tropical rainforest climate (Af) too.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:38 PM

685 posts, read 767,344 times
Between the 50 states and its territories, the U.S. has it all. I almost thought that we didn't have tropical highlands, but then I remembered that elevations in Hawaii exceed 13000 feet.

Old 03-12-2022, 02:34 PM

397 posts, read 319,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Taking temperature and precipitation into consideration, I think it is China.
China may not have a large tropical zone, but Hainan island is larger than Hawaii. China does not have any place like California, but America does not have Yunnan (highland subtropical monsoon) either.

However, from another perspective, most part of China is fairly cold in winter. In January, over 90% China land have an average temperature below 10 C (50 F). Over 70% have an average temperature below 0 C (32 F). Therefore, the vast majority of Chinese cities have a real winter.

In America, on the other hand, a lot of places have an average temperature above 10 C in January. Only the northern half of the midwest and a small portion of the east coast have 0 C or lower averages.
You can argue that the state of California alone has more climate diversity than China. Or Hawaii by itself. When you add in all 50 states, it's no contest. And the US does have subtropical highland monsoon climates, primarily in the southwest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceani...d_variety_(Cwb)

Old 03-12-2022, 02:39 PM

397 posts, read 319,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Well, I think one should not just look at the classification, which is subjective to some extent.

For example, China does not have the Mediterranean climate, but if you look at the climate of Chongqing, it is somehow similar: wet and cloudy winter (cloudier than any major city in the world), hot and sunny summer with humidity reaching the minimum in July and August. In fact, Chongqing and adjacent area produce the most olives in China.

China does not have oceanic climate, but Cities like Anshun are close.
Anshun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of Alaska has real springs/autumns at least. A large area of west China does not. It is permanently in winter.
You're trying to fit logic around your argument rather than fitting your argument around logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather