Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:54 PM

775 posts, read 1,169,070 times

Advertisements

I've been experimenting with the Wikipedia weather boxes and have come up with some of my own fantasy climates - they are not necessarily my "dream" or "favourite" ones, just a few I've envisaged. Which one would you pick? Please rate in order of preference, I believe there's something for everyone!

Here are the first three (more to follow later):

SAUDIASTANA:

Climate type: Hypercontinental

As the name suggests, this climate is a hybrid of continental and desert climates. The result is a steppe-like climate with very wide variations in temperatures between the seasons. This hypothetical climate is located in the middle latitudes near the centre of a very large continent, possibly similar to Pangea.

Record high: 52.2C (126F) on 20/08/77
Record low: -56.2C (-69.2F) on 14/02/30
Date of last occurrence of >45C (>113F): 47.2C (117F) on 02/08/09
Date of last occurrence of <-50C(<-58F): -51.3 (-60.3F) on 19/02/92

MOSQUITOPOLIS:

Climate type: Tropical wet and dry/savanna (aw)

Mosquitopolis is a typical tropical wet and dry climate with the bulk of the city's precipitation falling between June and October. The wettest months are August and September, while February and March are almost rainless. Nevertheless, the summer monsoon is somewhat less intense and precipitation is lower than in other similar climates due in part to its sheltered location in the Bay of Reckoning and the presence of mountainous Crocodilla Island to the southwest, which absorbs some of the monsoon rains before they reach the city. The mountain range to the northeast also provide some shelter from hurricanes and direct hits are uncommon, the last occurrence dates from the 3rd of Sept.1997.

Record high: 42.7C (108.9F) on 02/05/26 and 15/05/87
Record low: 6.5C (43.7F) on 18/02/69
Date of last occurrence of >40C (>104F): 40.8C (105.4F) on 28/04/10
Date of last occurrence of <10C (<50F): 9.9C (49.8F) on 25/01/80

PARIS AUSTRALIS

Climate type: maritime/oceanic

This city is located in the middle latitudes of the southern hemisphere at the western edge of a large continent, with a desert interior. The climate is maritime with minor continental and Mediterranean influences. The sparse precipitation falls throughout the year and no month is completely dry. However, there is a noticeable double peak in May and June and November and December. The driest, as well as the coldest month, is August.

Record high: 43.3C (109.9F) on 09/02/89
Record low: -26.6C (-15.9C) on 15/08/1895
Date of last occurrence of >40C(>104F): 40.9C (105.6F) on 07/02/03
Date of last occurrence of <-15C (<5F): -18.8C (-1.8F) on 19/08/91
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times
Mosquitopolis for sure without a doubt.. looks like an A climate to me

Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 PM

350 posts, read 740,497 times
(1) Saudiastana - only the tough survive. The climate is strikingly similar to that of Nebraska or the Central Asian Republics but even more extreme. What is life without a little variety? People who live in tough climates often also have higher longevity.
(2) Paris Australis - nice mild climate although it might seem too mild to me - no snow, no negative temps or sweltering heat, at least there would be seasons
(3) Mosquitopolis - my last choice - nothing could be less appealing to me than high heat daily, rain, and mosquitoes. It bears noting that people who live in this type of climate develop the highest rates of infectious diseases and have a significantly reduced lifespan.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:07 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
I'd pick Saudiastana.. inspiration drawn from Saudi Arabia and the Kazakh capital Astana?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Mosquitopolis for sure without a doubt.. looks like an A climate to me
I knew this would be popular with heat lovers - I'm thinking of doing a tropical rainforest or maybe tropical highland next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
(1) Saudiastana - only the tough survive. The climate is strikingly similar to that of Nebraska or the Central Asian Republics but even more extreme. What is life without a little variety? People who live in tough climates often also have higher longevity.
(2) Paris Australis - nice mild climate although it might seem too mild to me - no snow, no negative temps or sweltering heat, at least there would be seasons
(3) Mosquitopolis - my last choice - nothing could be less appealing to me than high heat daily, rain, and mosquitoes. It bears noting that people who live in this type of climate develop the highest rates of infectious diseases and have a significantly reduced lifespan.
I like extremes too, not for everyone though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'd pick Saudiastana.. inspiration drawn from Saudi Arabia and the Kazakh capital Astana?
You guessed right - I was going to use Mongolia's Ulaan Baatar as nothing beats the prestige of world's the coldest national capital but for some reason its record lows are far inferior to Astana's (and other central Asian locations).

Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
I knew this would be popular with heat lovers - I'm thinking of doing a tropical rainforest or maybe tropical highland next.

I like extremes too, not for everyone though!

You guessed right - I was going to use Mongolia's Ulaan Baatar as nothing beats the prestige of world's the coldest national capital but for some reason its record lows are far inferior to Astana's (and other central Asian locations).
Astana looks like a tough climate to live in.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Its interesting you Brits are a tough lot!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Astana looks like a tough climate to live in.
If forced to choose, I would still pick it over the Mongolian capital - it has a real summer at least!

Quote:
Its interesting you Brits are a tough lot!
We're probably just very bored of our very tame "oceanic/maritime" climate.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:19 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,822,767 times
Saudiastana first choice by far.

Then Paris Australis.

Mosquitopolis last choice by far.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:40 PM

497 posts, read 983,074 times
1. Paris, winter too cold, but it's liveable. Record lows would destroy a lot of the trees I like though.

2. Mosquitopolis, summer lows way too high, I don't want to have to use A/C excessively.

3. Saudiastana, I really don't know how people can live with winters that cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather