Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 09:02 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,461 times

Advertisements

Ok so we have had a few cool, refreshing days to start June off... and now i am thinking maybe a summer such as 2009 would be really pleasant. After a really hot end to May, i am enjoying this break in the heat much more than i thought i would. I don't want it to be cold and rainy this summer, but a comfortably warm year with temps in the low 80s would be a nice break from the excessive heat of 2010 and 2011.

So i just wanted to let you all know, i'm officially Sticking my Foot in my Mouth I think it was starting a running program that did it for me. Once you start running 3 to 5 miles with the sweat dripping down your face, that changed my weather preferences in a hurry! The heat isn't really a problem if you are just sitting around doing nothing... but once you actually need to physically exert yourself, it's pretty nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
In my opinion, hot weather is still nasty even if you are sitting around doing nothing. My appartment gets super hot in the summer (basically: sun in the fron part all morning, sun in the back part in the afternoon, sun in the roof at noon, and its the last appartment of 12 floors, so all the heats goes to my appartment) and i live 3 months in a 40 c appartment. Try sleeping with that. I cant even sleep, and i sweat even when im laying in my bed. Its disgusting. Its summer.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:24 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Well, I suppose you will have to find your own way when it comes to what sort of weather you prefer. I'm not surprised that you've downgraded your preferred summer heat now that you've taken up running. The optimal temperature for running is a lot less than swimming, for instance.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
In my opinion, hot weather is still nasty even if you are sitting around doing nothing. My appartment gets super hot in the summer (basically: sun in the fron part all morning, sun in the back part in the afternoon, sun in the roof at noon, and its the last appartment of 12 floors, so all the heats goes to my appartment) and i live 3 months in a 40 c appartment. Try sleeping with that. I cant even sleep, and i sweat even when im laying in my bed. Its disgusting. Its summer.
My apartment (and all that I've lived in in the last few years) doesn't heat up all that well. A combination of good ventilation and shade helps. If I have a fan blowing on me, I'm mostly comfortable in a 29-30°C room. Other people in my room at that temperature found it ok (they weren't heat lovers but got used it to heat from living without A/C). By bedtime, it's below 80°F so I can sleep. And that's on the hotter summer days. One time I had a bedroom that got to 86°F when I was trying to go to sleep. One night I dealt with it, another I went downstairs and slept on the couch with the windows open. Did your thermometer actually read 40°C inside?

One thing I like about the warmer months and not having A/C is that the indoors can feel like it has weather. Unless one is willing to tolerate sub-60°F room temperatures (and few I know can tolerate below the high 50s) one can't do that in the cooler season. But from about late April to mid October, I can feel like I have weather inside together with fresh air. Feel my room heat up in the afternoon, then get almost cool-ish in the morning, sense humidity changes.

Back to the OP, yea I agree hot weather is not optimal for running (or many other forms of exercise). I find bicycling more bearable in hot weather because of the breeze it creates. Running in early morning or late evening helps, too, though you gets less of a cool down than I do. Either way, there are plenty of other months where running is more comfortable. My summer averages are close to your summer 2009 so I'm not changing my ideal summer.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:49 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
I didn't truly start hating heat until I got a job working in it. One summer of that was all it took for me to start hating anything over 75. But I wasn't exactly fond of heat before that, either.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:05 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Last month I mowed the lawn when it was 80F.. I was sweating like a pig but I didn't feel ill or queasy surprisingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather