Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:27 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,584 times

Advertisements

Not having summer vacation anymore sure does take the fun out of summer! I remember when i was a kid, i used to live for summer vacation. I would get sooo excited. My co-workers and i were talking about that the other day because all the schools in our area were having their last day of school. Summer is pretty lame as an adult... no good sports on, just baseball which in my opinion is so boring. I'm a football guy. Summer weather is too hot to do anything other than sit around. I still think summer is better than winter, but it's not as good as the shoulder seasons in my opinion. Sorry if i'm being a buzzkill... i think i'm just yearning for those 3 blissful, care-free months of summer vacation that we had back in the good old days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 12:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
I take a couple months off in the summer and travel to nicer climates. I'll typically go on a cruise or two in the summer. We like to take a boat out and sail the seas and do other watersports. Otherwise I'll just enjoy may backyard and have a BBQs with family and friends.

Also, in the summer, you can play outdoor sports. In NJ, it's hard to do much in the winter. So I don't think it's overrated.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:39 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Default Summer is the best.

Long days of sunshine, And the beach with a few cold beers are great for relaxing.For those who have no reason to be home there are hours and hours of warm temps to do so many things. I see no benefit of Winter (I am in NYC) with freezing cold, Grey skies and having to trudge to the subway in icy darkness. Not one good thing about it.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:13 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,634 times
The summer vacation is certainly a perk, but that's not necessary to enjoy summer if you're a real lover of heat and sun. I'm sure that the vacation aspect is what most look forward to that are thrilled about summer vacation. I know I did when I was a kid . Those types would be equally thrilled if it was a 2-3 month break in any other season: autumn, winter, or spring. I'm sure many kids love snow as much as they do summer fun, a sentiment that is shared by many adults.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:18 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Long days of sunshine, And the beach with a few cold beers are great for relaxing.For those who have no reason to be home there are hours and hours of warm temps to do so many things. I see no benefit of Winter (I am in NYC) with freezing cold, Grey skies and having to trudge to the subway in icy darkness. Not one good thing about it.
Yeah.. we've discussed this a lot of times before.. NYC winters mostly contain rain and slush, so not really conductive to doing much outside activities. For the vast majority who work for a living I'm sure the humid heat of the east coast isn't exactly ideal..

Old 06-10-2012, 01:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah.. we've discussed this a lot of times before.. NYC winters mostly contain rain and slush, so not really conductive to doing much outside activities. For the vast majority who work for a living I'm sure the humid heat of the east coast isn't exactly ideal..
The thing I like about NYC is that you can get away from the winter so easily. With so many airports, you can just fly south on the weekends or whatnot.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:17 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,462,396 times
Summers overrated when adult? Not at all. NYC is on the coast - you can go to the beach every weekend if you want, an in some cases even on weekdays. Sure, you can't have all summer off, but that's what weekends are for. BBQs, outdoor dining, beer gardens or just hanging out in a park - don't need to be on vacation to enjoy those activities. Even when I'm not doing anything in particular I still enjoy the long days as opposed to the gloomy winters.

It's not really the summers - life in general is less fun when you are an adult. And it won't be better when you are a senior citizen. Also, kids don't really enjoy "3 blissful months" - it's 2 months at most (at least where I am), and most of them get hw over the summer. College age kids have internships or what not.

Last point - may be a bit too political for this forum - people in America are known to take very short vacations. We have no mandatory holidays, and American companies give their employees the fewest number of days off - usually 2 weeks per year, almost never more than 3 (unless you are a teacher or something). In Europe, most people have 4 week off, sometimes even more. Also Europeans work less overtime. So if you want to complain about lame summers, you may want to aim your frustration in this direction.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:26 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,558,425 times
Summer is overrated when you dislike heat. That's all.

/thread

Old 06-10-2012, 02:29 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
I believe lpfan921 used to like heat more but now prefers warmth.. people want to like heat but heat is so horrible they just can't

Old 06-10-2012, 02:33 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,215,551 times
Most people who have a job working outdoors during the summer realize how overrated it is too. It sucks the life out of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather