Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major cities have overall great 4-season climate that you prefer?
Vancouver, BC/Seattle, WA 2 2.82%
New York, NY 7 9.86%
Boston, MA 4 5.63%
Washington D.C 1 1.41%
Toronto, ON 1 1.41%
Montreal, QC 10 14.08%
Chicago, IL 9 12.68%
Salt Lake City, UT 2 2.82%
Atlanta, GA 3 4.23%
Philadelphia, PA 2 2.82%
Albuquerque, NM 10 14.08%
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN 4 5.63%
St. Louis, MO 1 1.41%
Denver, CO 5 7.04%
Portland, OR 4 5.63%
Niagara Falls, ON/NY 1 1.41%
Detroit, MI/Windsor, ON 2 2.82%
Halifax, NS 2 2.82%
Oklahoma City, OK 1 1.41%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:28 PM

311 posts, read 605,470 times

Advertisements

Which U.S./Canadian city offers the best four season climate?

(I forget to make the poll multiple choice - if a MOD could change that would be great!)

Last edited by In God We Trust; 06-13-2012 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 06:29 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,705 times
Does that include snowy winters? If so, Washington DC. Oherwise Dallas.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,634 times
Among major cities, I'd say Winnipeg. Summers are pretty good and winters are quite cold (no chinooks) and have a decent amount of snow. A close second is Anchorage, pushed up due to its much nicer summers. I assume major city here means something with a population >250 000 or thereabouts. That's where a city becomes the hub of a region with moderate density, i.e. not Alaska or New Jersey, and that's also roughly the point where respectable skylines appear (Anchorage has one at c. 300 000, Fairbanks at 50 000 does not).

As for what four-season climates are, I'd include anything from the edge of the subarctic climate zone up to the cooler half of the subtropics in the general "four season" category. This is intended to be between when there starts to be a distinct period of bare trees in winter (at warmest) and the edge of the subarctic zone (at the coolest) where spring and summer start to become one combined season (plant-wise that is). For a true four season climate one needs a persistent snowpack in winter but there is a broader category of weaker four season climates.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:49 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,793,982 times
If by best you mean "all seasons are distinct and well represented" I'd say "pick any Koppen Dfa-type climate" and nominate Chicago as the largest city with archetypal mid-latitude seasons ( one month solidly below freezing, one month spent almost in the 20sC, rainfall decent in all seasons and snowfall plentiful come winter ).

I'm not much of a fan of four-seasons climates, really, as I don't love what I'd call a "real" winter.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:53 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,793,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
As for what four-season climates are, I'd include anything from the edge of the subarctic climate zone up to the cooler half of the subtropics in the general "four season" category. This is intended to be between when there starts to be a distinct period of bare trees in winter (at warmest) and the edge of the subarctic zone (at the coolest) where spring and summer start to become one combined season (plant-wise that is). For a true four season climate one needs a persistent snowpack in winter but there is a broader category of weaker four season climates.
For this definition I'd probably pick Savannah for myself, as it is near the southern end of deciduous forested area, or perhaps even Pensacola ( northern Florida's vegetation is a lot more like the other southern states than the Everglades ).

Mediterranean west-coast climates don't seem to apply, as they come with winter greenness and summer dry, sort of reversing the order I think of when I think of winter dormancy.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:01 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
For this definition I'd probably pick Savannah for myself, as it is near the southern end of deciduous forested area, or perhaps even Pensacola ( northern Florida's vegetation is a lot more like the other southern states than the Everglades ).
The trees are never bare for a distinct period (2+ months of solid bareness) in Pensacola and I'm pretty sure about Savannah as well. Any place that averages around 50F or higher is out of the question for my criteria to apply, and Savannah averages near 50F or warmer all "winter". I think Macon is about the warmest place where the trees still are bare in wintertime.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
The trees are never bare for a distinct period (2+ months of solid bareness) in Pensacola and I'm pretty sure about Savannah as well. Any place that averages around 50F or higher is out of the question for my criteria to apply, and Savannah averages near 50F or warmer all "winter". I think Macon is about the warmest place where the trees still are bare in wintertime.
So in Pensacola some plants lose their leaves and restart their leaf growth within a few weeks?

Do you know how long the winter dormancy period is in Macon?

Old 06-13-2012, 07:57 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,556,872 times
Out of those choices Montreal is the closest to my ideal.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:32 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
I pick Montreal because despite it's cold winters it's close to mountains for skiing, which many of the cities with four very distinct seasons you listed are not.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,586,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I pick Montreal because despite it's cold winters it's close to mountains for skiing, which many of the cities with four very distinct seasons you listed are not.
Vancouver and Denver are much closer to good mountains for skiing.

Picked NYC, an ideal climate for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather