Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 06:43 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times

Advertisements

I was thinking that Oceanic climates are the world are pretty different throughout the world, for me the Oceanic climates of Western Britain & Ireland are the classic just like how the Mediterranean climates of Europe are the classic or best example of that type of climate.

The main cfb climates of Earth are;
  • Northwestern Europe
The Westernmost of this region for me is the most classic example of an Oceanic climate, with its evenly spread rainfall, moderate temperatures, low sunshine hours and its high latitude which adds to the feel.

• Southeastern Australia
When I think Oceanic SE Australia is the last place that comes to mind, the fact that a desert is so close and summers can get so hot is a stark contrast from lets say Galway, Stornoway or Bergen.
  • New Zealand
I readily think NZ when thinking of Oceanic climates infact I'd say it can be said its another classic but NZ gets relatively high sunshine hours and according to Joe90 NZ seems to not get that drizzle or light rain like other cfb climates.

• Pacific Northwest
I'd say PNW is an extension from the Mediterranean climates with its summer dry season.

• Pacific Southwest
Not enough information on this so can't judge.

Last edited by P London; 12-10-2013 at 06:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 08:39 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I was thinking that Oceanic climates are the world are pretty different throughout the world, for me the Oceanic climates of Western Britain & Ireland are the classic just like how the Mediterranean climates of Europe are the classic or best example of that type of climate.

The main cfb climates of Earth are;
  • Northwestern Europe
The Westernmost of this region for me is the most classic example of an Oceanic climate, with its evenly spread rainfall, moderate temperatures, low sunshine hours and its high latitude which adds to the feel.

• Southeastern Australia
When I think Oceanic SE Australia is the last place that comes to mind, the fact that a desert is so close and summers can get so hot is a stark contrast from lets say Galway, Stornoway or Bergen.
  • New Zealand
I readily think NZ when thinking of Oceanic climates infact I'd say it can be said its another classic but NZ gets relatively high sunshine hours and according to Joe90 NZ seems to not get that drizzle or light rain like other cfb climates.

• Pacific Northwest
I'd say PNW is an extension from the Mediterranean climates with its summer dry season.

• Pacific Southwest
Not enough information on this so can't judge.
I think there are a few errors in the above map:

Southeast Australia is not an oceanic climate (Do or Cfb in the old Koppen system)....it is a Humid Subtropical Climate (Cf). The line is around Melbourne or so, where oceanic Australia gradually gives way to humid subtropical Australia.

In New Zealand....the central and northern portions of North Island, New Zealand are actually classed as a subtropical climate (Cf)....though they are a very cool version of that climate type.

Also, the PNW is not an extension of the Mediterranean climate (Cs) group in most modern climate classifications - it's a temperate climate (the oceanic type - Do).

This is a modern climate classification map:

Old 12-10-2013, 09:38 AM

3,600 posts, read 2,690,881 times
The Pacific Northwest of the United States, as Seattle, has dry summers much like the mediterranean Csb climate, as does Victoria, Canada.

However, the northern coast of BC, Canada, and much of the Alaskan panhandle has an oceanic climate with plenty of rain also in summers, much like northwestern Europe.

Prince Rupert's climate is really not that different from Bergen, Norway. Prince Rupert is actually slightly wetter! Climate data in the wikipedia article has 1981-2010 as base period for Prince Rupert, thus Bergen is about 1C warmer (mean annual). Also, the record low in Prince Rupert is some 8C colder than in Bergen. Sunshine hours are very similar, around 1,200 hours.

Prince Rupert, British Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bergen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Juneau's and Trondheim's climate are also fairly similar, although Juneau has almost twice as much precipitation. Trondheim will also be about 1C warmer. Using the same 1981-2010 base period, mean annual for Trondheim (Værnes) is 6C, coldest month average -1.5C and 4 months above 10C. Juneau has more sunshine hours - 1,530 vs 1,350 hours - if the Wikipedia article is to be trusted.

Last edited by Jakobsli; 12-10-2013 at 10:09 AM..

Old 12-10-2013, 09:40 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
They're all crap.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:45 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,182,413 times
Oceanic climates like the southern UK, southwestern France, green Spain or New Zealand are not crappy to me, they're mild and quite comfortable.
The only bad features are the cool summer (there's no way I could survive your summers , just kidding) and the cloudiness.
I prefer the climate of England than the climates of Scotland, coastal Norway, Netherlands and northern Germany, and than continental climates with cold winters.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:48 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Wavehunter I know the pnw technically has an oceanic climate I was just making my own judgement maybe I should of made it clear in my post.

Also think oceanic Australia stops around NSW rather than just north of Melbourne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
They're all crap.
And don't we know it!

Old 12-10-2013, 11:18 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
The best Oceanic climates on earth are those bordering Subtropical climates, especially places such as Sochi and Batumi, as well as other places on the southern coast of the Black Sea. Certain areas of New Zealand aren't bad either.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:14 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
The best Oceanic climates on earth are those bordering Subtropical climates, especially places such as Sochi and Batumi, as well as other places on the southern coast of the Black Sea. Certain areas of New Zealand aren't bad either.
I would say southern NSW has the best oceanic climates: Batemans Bay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-10-2013, 11:51 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
In New Zealand....the central and northern portions of North Island, New Zealand are actually classed as a subtropical climate (Cf)....though they are a very cool version of that climate type.

Also, the PNW is not an extension of the Mediterranean climate (Cs) group in most modern climate classifications - it's a temperate climate (the oceanic type - Do).

This is a modern climate classification map:
Odd, how could they get that climate map so right (I like it and prefer it over Koppen's) and then totally mess it up at one region - I mean, how the hell is Auckland subtropical? Melbourne is warmer than Auckland, so shouldn't they both be Cs? That climate map just lost it right there!

Old 12-11-2013, 01:21 AM

166 posts, read 228,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Odd, how could they get that climate map so right (I like it and prefer it over Koppen's) and then totally mess it up at one region - I mean, how the hell is Auckland subtropical? Melbourne is warmer than Auckland, so shouldn't they both be Cs? That climate map just lost it right there!
The Koppen system is the biggest heap of crap this side of Kaul's outhouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I would say southern NSW has the best oceanic climates: Batemans Bay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nothing good about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather