Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:30 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
All of Texas is bone dry...(some family members thought Houston was going to be desert-like)
I've never heard that one. Though that same misconception exists about Arizona - more of that state is forested than most people would expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 09:15 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

And nah, Berkshire is not beautiful, nor is Surrey, unless you like generic green rolling hills with no life. Go to Cumbria if you want to see the most stunning countryside in England.
Surrey is the most densely populated non metropolitan county in the UK. It's also the one with the highest percentage of its area covered by trees/woodland/forest. Most of northern Surrey is covered in heathland which in my opinion is far nicer than cold and windswept mountains with a low ceiling and low visibility.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:40 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
It's all highly subjective when it comes to assessing "scenery". Personally I prefer NZ's South Island (inland regions) but I don't expect some/many to agree.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:46 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Surrey is the most densely populated non metropolitan county in the UK. It's also the one with the highest percentage of its area covered by trees/woodland/forest. Most of northern Surrey is covered in heathland which in my opinion is far nicer than cold and windswept mountains with a low ceiling and low visibility.
Well we'll have to agree to disagree but I don't find the southern landscape interesting in the slightest. But I've spent my entire life surrounded by rugged mountain scenery. I guess we're biased to whatever area we're from.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:10 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,879,512 times
Norway. People seem to think it's extremely cold with polar bears walking the streets, I've even heard some claim there's constant darkness year-round (how?!), etc.

In reality most of the populated areas of the country have a cloudy, rainy, foggy, mild oceanic climate that's the warmest for its latitude in the world. All postcards show either clear skies or tons of snow which is a blatant lie for almost all of the west coast where most residents live.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:45 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
The most noticeable mistake where i live is thinking Brazil is a SUNNY tropical paradise! I can understand tropical, cause clearly Brasil is mostly tropical, but sunny?? Brasil is mostly super cloudy and i was actually very surprised to find out how cloudy Sao Paolo, Florianopolis and Rio are, specially cause the equation here is: Brasil + hot weather+beaches= SUN! Wich is so no true in Brasil case with around 1700/1800 sunshine hours in Florianopolis/Sao Paolo case, and 2000 in Rio case!
But thinking about it, it wasnt that shocking. I mean, here is very normal to go to Brasil on vacation, and all the stories you hear is "oh yeah, Brasil was beautiful, too bad that 4 of the 7 days i was there, days were completely cloudy, etc". No wonder.

Another misconception that i even read in this forum: Australia=tropical. Not at all! Specially after reading the forumers from australia that post their daily temperatures. There are many places in Australia that are colder than BA and many places in center/nortern Argentina, and nobody thinks about Argentina as "tropical". Cause its not, clearly. But neither is Australia.

Also, i think Argentina is regarded as colder as it really is (maybe cause of the Patagonia), when the reality is, aside of Patagonia, most of Argentina is very warm, with non-existent winters (specially for the parameters of a person from USA!) and warm to hot summers/springs. And even the coldest spot in the southern tip of Argentina close to Antartica is warmer than New York in the winter!
I learned in this forum, after reading what real winters are like, (specially in the USA, where a big part of land haves actual super cold winters), how un-freezing my country is. Even in the south. Kinda sad, actually . Also, after reading how people reffeer to Norway as "mild", i realize how much of a joke Argentinian winters are. If Norway winters are mild, how can our winters be classified? lol

Old 06-23-2012, 02:22 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,376 times
This thread (or a variant of it) has been discussed before, but I'll mention it again. Sydney does not have the climate that many expect. It has more rain days than many would expect and is subject to cold spells. Not the tropical beach destination that many think it is.

The sunny late winter/early spring period deserves brownie points and I suspect not many people realise this is the sunniest time of the year, although somewhat more variable day-to-day.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:27 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
The most noticeable mistake where i live is thinking Brazil is a SUNNY tropical paradise! I can understand tropical, cause clearly Brasil is mostly tropical, but sunny?? Brasil is mostly super cloudy
Plenty of Brazilian places on the upside of 2300-2400 hours, so hardly "super cloudy".

Old 06-23-2012, 04:32 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Sao Paulo is cloudy.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:01 AM

326 posts, read 949,911 times
The tourist board of Florida does a really great job of promoting my state as it's nickname suggests: The Sunshine State. While that may be true for the winter time, the summer is incredibly rainy. We get about 65 inches/165 cm of rain on average in the southern part of the state mostly in the summertime (it's raining right now, has been for the past couple of days and will be for the foreseeable future, sorry tourists).

The place I'm looking to move to this coming spring in Western Washington just northwest of Seattle gets about 20 inches/51 cm of rain on average for the year. Seattle, which people tend to think is super rainy, gets 31 inches/79 cm on average per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather