Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 02:07 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times

Advertisements

I don't have AC or heat with a thermostat here, but when I lived in TN I usually set it to 74 in the summer and no more than 64 in winter. And in the winter I would have gladly let it get cooler than that but my brother lived with me then and he couldn't take it. Here I only need a fan in warmer weather and a small space heater in winter (and no heating when I sleep).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 02:08 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
I keep it high so I can deal with the summer here. If I have it too low, I won't acclimate and it will be hot for me whenever I go outside even on a normal day.

One day I will move to somewhere that rarely gets above 75 in the summer. No A/C needed then!
Living in a climate without a need for A/C makes things a lot easier, and saves on power bills. I like to have the doors wide open all summer.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:30 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Living in a climate without a need for A/C makes things a lot easier, and saves on power bills. I like to have the doors wide open all summer.
Can't do that here, way too many bugs. None there?

Old 07-13-2012, 03:22 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,807 times
I keep mine set at 70.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:09 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Some of you must have very high electric bills. I set mine at 76F.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:15 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
You're very lucky. Some days here and there may be fine with opening doors and windows, but overall A/C is needed. We've been using ours everyday since late June. Currently 82 F with a dewpoint of 68 F. It could be much worse, but it's still warm and muggy enough to make it feel uncomfortable inside. Lows aren't very low either...lowest I see in the forecast is 66 F. Food spoils more easily in such weather too.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:03 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
however...if a person can feel comfortable with maintaining a higher indoor temperature...then so much the better because it will cost less and theoretically the a/c system will last longer.
I agree that it's so much the better. If you can be comfortable and save money at the same time, then save the money.

Quote:
Ill bet most people could feel comfortable at 80 f IF they were sitting still with no activity ; its when you start increasing your activity levels that you have a need for greater cooling.
Sure, if you sit like a beached whale all day you can tolerate higher temperatures, but what kind of life is that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I find the opposite to be true. Have lived 8 years with no heating whatsoever in the winter months, and have gone by winters without any problem. Lived without a/c too and it was full of problems. I think where i live a/c is a million times more needed than heating. Of course, where i live haves to do with it (heating will certainly be needed in colder places) and my personal tastes and appartment location (i hate heat and my appartment is a 12floor sauna).
In all fairness, when your winter mean temperature is in the 50's it isn't that hard to live without heating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
4. What some consider 'ideal' may not be ideal to most ; with the design of residential cooling systems...its always what MOST PEOPLE find suitable that is the standard to design around (IE: 74-76f inside)
It's not as if the people have to run the A/C all the time. There's a nifty little invention called a thermostat and they can set the air conditioning to cut off at 85F if they wanted to. As for being an eccentric critic, that would include most people I know, since for myself I faint if I'm in an 85F room, and roughly 90% of the people I know would find that very uncomfortable. If that's the best you technicians are willing to provide for a 105F day, then you might as well quit your jobs as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Yes, they are rather high, though not unaffordable, and it's worth every penny to me.

Quote:
Oh, I have to agree with that.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
I keep my electric bills low while maintaining comfort.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:04 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
I keep my house at 70 during the day and 68 at night....

Old 07-13-2012, 06:30 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
"high" means something different to different people in different areas. I dont think mine is but you may.

$95 a month in winter
$190 a month in summer

All worth it. my a/c runs constantly when its above 80 outside.

Central A/C uses much much less than window a/c's or electric heat. All my appliances are electric so it includes that. plus a computer thats on 24/7.

:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather