Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer wet snow or dry snow?
Gimme wet snow! 6 16.67%
No, dry powdery snow! 30 83.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:07 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times

Advertisements

Seems like many of the posters here, and I think in the general public; dry snow gets praised more than wet snow. Anyone else besides me prefer the sticky wet stuff?

Part of it is what I'm used to, but I love the way wet snow sticks to the trees and landscape, creating in my view, a better winter wonderland landscape. If you hate snow completely, I'm not sure how much it makes to vote, but feel free to comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 06:14 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
I prefer dry, but that doesn't mean I don't like wet. I'm just happy when it snows.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:18 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,566,536 times
I hate winter & cold but I do love snow - dry snow that is. Definitely not the wet variety.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:38 PM

12 posts, read 13,644 times
Wet snow is fine from your armchair, until it collapses your roof.
Better get some dry snow if you want to do anything more than build a snowman outdoors.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 PM

252 posts, read 736,119 times
I'm a skier...so dry snow for me, please

Besides, wet snow is usually "heavy", makes shoveling the
driveway a real workout

On the other hand....wet snow is very good for making
a snowman...dry snow not so much

Old 04-03-2012, 07:04 PM

927 posts, read 1,948,613 times
At my advanced age, any snow is a nonstarter for me. If I had to make a choice, I would pick the dry, fluffy stuff. At least you can brush small accumulations away. Shoveling a foot or more of the dry stuff is way easier than an equivalent of what we on the north Pacific Coast refer to as "Cascades Concrete".

Old 04-03-2012, 07:11 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
I like dry snow over wet snow. That's not to say that I dislike wet snow per se. I like snow of any kind, except slush (but even that is better than nothing), seeing as all snow, wet stuff included, is awesome to have. For example I consider the Mid-Atlantic Blizzards of February 2010 to be a fantastic event, and I would have loved to be in that - that was wet stuff. What it comes down to is that although all snow is good, I just happen to like powder a lot better than any other kind.

My previous post from the San Francisco thread adequately explains my position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I like it better. Not only does it have a better consistency for the types of winter activities I partake in, but it also doesn't stick on everything (including me!) as soon as it falls. Powder blows around objects and settles on the ground, and blows and drifts better in the wind. Wet snow is gloppy and sticky, and less malleable, plus it feels like I'm walking through glue when I walk through deep wet snow, as opposed to the gliding feeling of deep powder; this is also great for skiing. I also like sinking into it . Packed powder makes the best snow forts and snowmen as well (contrary to popular belief) because it doesn't hold its shape as much as wet snow, which means it's more malleable. Plus packed powder is much harder and denser than wet snow, and has a consistency similar to concrete. There's also the added advantage of all the snow on my clothes melting away to practically nothing when I get inside, as opposed to wet snow which makes my clothes soaking wet when it melts. Powder also occurs at colder temperatures than wet snow, which I also like, and there's less of a chance of the typical powdery snow melting away as temperatures rise above freezing as opposed to the typical wet snow; this is due again to the colder nature of powder. Due to it being colder it exists on a more intense level of winter as opposed to wet snow - the most wintry scenes will feature deep powder and bitter cold. And as everyone knows, I like a full-on winter.

Much of my love of powder as opposed to wet snow is based on me liking the very characteristics of it you dislike.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:21 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,829,493 times
I like both varieties of snow myself. Although dry snow is much better for not interrupting life as much (easier to drive through, etc) but wet snow is a lot of fun for snowmen, snowball fights, etc.

But either way when it snows, I like it!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:22 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,208,808 times
Not sure if I've experienced enough snowfall to discern a difference between the two. It didn't snow enough this winter for me to figure it out, although I do recall a snowfall mixed with a little rain that had noticeably more snow sticking to the tree branches. Loved it purely on that factor!

Does anyone know if typically 'dry' snow in this region tends to come through Alberta Clippers rather than other storm tracks?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,518,975 times
I love both kinds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather