Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 12:22 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
The sun rises at around 5:50am, and with over 3 hours of solar heating in mid summer it still can't ****en reach 20C, just shows how cold and pathetic this ****en gay arctic climate really is Cold overcast grey mornings with 12-15C lows following lovely hot days are very common due to regular cold fronts bringing winter-like shit right in high summer. You go to bed naked with a mere sheet and a fan because it's nice and warm, only to wake up to grey drizzly bullshit, 12C temps and shivering with a runny nose, that is a typical CRUMMER here.
It could be worse.. you could have San Francisco's summers which is about the same latitude as you... I went there from Vancouver and had to buy a sweater when I got there it was so cold...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
The U.S. East Coast is different from the West Coast. The East Coast has a very slow cooldown and the morning low is usually only reached very late in the night for a few hours around sunrise. The West Coast has the Melbourne-like cooling pattern, where it cools off quite a bit after sunset and then stays around the morning low all night.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:30 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
The U.S. East Coast is different from the West Coast. The East Coast has a very slow cooldown and the morning low is usually only reached very late in the night for a few hours around sunrise. The West Coast has the Melbourne-like cooling pattern, where it cools off quite a bit after sunset and then stays around the morning low all night.
And I think that's another reason why basic climate metrics such as a simple min and max do not tell the whole story! I would be keen to see daily temperature line charts comparing various cities and climatic types to understand the rate of change, both positive and negative and what are the influencing factors.

From my own limited 'hands on' experience, the low temp decrease post sunrise potentially follows a similar pattern to the US East Coast here in Brisbane. If I wake up in the early am hours, I notice the cool down and lessor so in the evening when I'm awake.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:19 AM

3 posts, read 3,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
This february was mostly around 80% or more than 80% with temps always above 30c.YUCK.
Then of course is the heat island effect, the asphalt, the subway, the crowded busses, the NO BREEZE EVER, the lack of trees and squares (BA is one of the big cities with less green space per habitant), that, overall, make summer a really horrible experience.

[url=http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/SABE/2012/2/12/MonthlyHistory.html]History | Weather Underground[/url]

There are some cool days in there with very low dewpoints (low relative humidity).

I'm afraid you don't convince me with BA.

EVERY factor you've mentioned here is worse, much worse, in my Pet Hate Climate of New Delhi. Larger, filthier, more chaotic, hotter extreme temperatures, higher dewpoints, much much worse air quality, far more electricity blackouts. India is a complete mess in many ways and makes Argentina look like Norway.

Delhi has the months of blistering high temperatures, over 35C, followed by the grotty monsoon season with its 28C, 29C, 30C dewpoints and often feeble attempts at rain. Demand for power is too high and A/C will fail during all these months.

Even during the "dry heat" season of March-June you still get despicable conditions

[url=http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/SABE/2012/2/12/MonthlyHistory.html]History | Weather Underground[/url]

At 10:30PM it's 36/25. After a day that already spent about 8 hours above 40C. Terrible stuff.

I once landed in Delhi at 3:30AM and it was something like 35/25. I'm afraid this makes your complaints about 25C night time temperatures in BA look a bit weak.

Though places around the Persian Gulf have worse climates even than Delhi, they typically have more reliable power and A/C is more likely to save you. Unless you're a migrant worker of course, then you have a nightmare existence.

Delhi is my pick for this thread because the stats don't do a good job of conveying the suffocating nature of the place for 7 months of the year. Every bloody METAR has DU in it! Repulsive air quality, high dewpoints, high temperatures, stressful living, unreliable power, no wind. Welcome to Delhi.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
oh PLEASE dont use wunderground for BA data! I ve said in this thread many many times that WU is always WAAAAAY of the mark with Buenos Aires. When i actually enter from my home (i live in almagro, a very downtownish neighbourhood in BA) it says im in "San Miguel" wich is a suburb/town east of BA in where temps are always 3 or 4c lower than in BA (cause of the heat island effect), and, below that, it says some of the meteorological stations of Villa Urquiza and Colegiales (neighbourhoods from BA) and BA the city.

It goes like this (i would say a typical hipotetical november day):

You are here:

San MigueL: 25 C

Buenos Aires: 19c
Colegiales: 27c
Villa Urquiza: 27c

so, yeah, it doesnt make any sense: Villa Urquiza and Colegiales are nieghbourhoods right next to mine (but less populated and further from downtown, wich in any case would make them slightly cooler) and san miguel is a suburb like 40km away! So, how on earth could BA bee like 6 celsius BELOW their own neighbourhood temps??? Then of course i check the national weather service or TV and it says temp in BA is, in fact, 27c!!!

Theres not been one time in where that WU site didnt put BA like 6 or 7 c BELOW its real temp.

There are many other sites who have exact info on BA and of the national weather service that can post much accurate information. Wunderground is waaaay off with buenos aires (and, from what other people said here, is off with southamerica in general).

Anyways, that correction aside, i agree new delhi is probably a millions times worse than BA and more suffocating and you are right about all you said and i wouldnt wanna be caught there in a hot stiff day cause i probably faint instantly.

I will still complain about summers in this giant metropolis, but you are sure right when you say yours are MUCH worse

Old 09-12-2012, 05:40 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorticity View Post
History | Weather Underground

There are some cool days in there with very low dewpoints (low relative humidity).

I'm afraid you don't convince me with BA.

EVERY factor you've mentioned here is worse, much worse, in my Pet Hate Climate of New Delhi. Larger, filthier, more chaotic, hotter extreme temperatures, higher dewpoints, much much worse air quality, far more electricity blackouts. India is a complete mess in many ways and makes Argentina look like Norway.

Delhi has the months of blistering high temperatures, over 35C, followed by the grotty monsoon season with its 28C, 29C, 30C dewpoints and often feeble attempts at rain. Demand for power is too high and A/C will fail during all these months.

Even during the "dry heat" season of March-June you still get despicable conditions

History | Weather Underground

At 10:30PM it's 36/25. After a day that already spent about 8 hours above 40C. Terrible stuff.

I once landed in Delhi at 3:30AM and it was something like 35/25. I'm afraid this makes your complaints about 25C night time temperatures in BA look a bit weak.

Though places around the Persian Gulf have worse climates even than Delhi, they typically have more reliable power and A/C is more likely to save you. Unless you're a migrant worker of course, then you have a nightmare existence.

Delhi is my pick for this thread because the stats don't do a good job of conveying the suffocating nature of the place for 7 months of the year. Every bloody METAR has DU in it! Repulsive air quality, high dewpoints, high temperatures, stressful living, unreliable power, no wind. Welcome to Delhi.

You sir are right. I have been to Delhi several times and it is undoubtedly the hottest city I have ever experienced and the only one that made me temporarily hate heat (which is a feat given that I love hot climates) during one day when it reached 43°C in the heart of the city, bone dry, with no winds, and no aircon anywhere Even the Indians were sweating Nevertheless, the other days during my stay were much more enjoyable, and very interesting weatherwise, especially the hot 30°C nights and 35°C+ highs. But much over 40°C is too hot even for me

Old 09-12-2012, 08:21 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
You sir are right. I have been to Delhi several times and it is undoubtedly the hottest city I have ever experienced and the only one that made me temporarily hate heat (which is a feat given that I love hot climates) during one day when it reached 43°C in the heart of the city, bone dry, with no winds, and no aircon anywhere Even the Indians were sweating Nevertheless, the other days during my stay were much more enjoyable, and very interesting weatherwise, especially the hot 30°C nights and 35°C+ highs. But much over 40°C is too hot even for me
Was watching the Amazing Race when they were in Bangladesh. Everyone and everything was drenched in sweat. Won't see that here in mid summer, it's more jumpers and long pants most evenings due to the incessant cold fronts and seabreezes. And if the evening is hot, it's guaranteed jacket weather the next morning as the cold front brings its 15C and overcast drizzle which will last a goddamn week before another 2 days of heat

Ive experienced 47C here in Feb 2009, fun, except the next day was 22C and overcast with light rain and the entire week afterwards was the same bullcrap What a freaking let down

Old 09-12-2012, 08:34 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
^^^ I'd love to experience 50°C, provided that I can get back to normal temps (e.g. AC) after a while.

What made this 43°C day a pain was the fact that I spent the whole day sightseeing and walking through the city, and in particular in the afternoon I found myself in an area with no shopping mall/AC, just shops with barely a fan, so no respite for a few hours

Old 09-12-2012, 10:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
It could be worse.. you could have San Francisco's summers which is about the same latitude as you... I went there from Vancouver and had to buy a sweater when I got there it was so cold...
You don't bother pack a sweater for San Francisco?

Old 09-12-2012, 11:28 AM

839 posts, read 3,074,419 times
Sophie, everything you said may be true from the point of view of us geeks in the CD forum (meaning that many here will think BA isn't that hot by looking at avg temps and all), but for the general public, I'd say it's the other way around. I even read some posters here say that before entering the CD Weather forum, they thought BA was much warmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather