Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
The other way around. I strongly prefer wintertime outages over summertime outages. The pure misery and deadly heat of a summertime outage makes a post-ice storm outage seem like a piece of cake. I've never had to leave my house during a daylong or longer outage in cold weather, but I've had to do so during every single such outage in hot weather. This is out of necessity and survival, not just getting to a place with lights on.
Odd. A wintertime power outage sounds like a horror. The October snowstorm was bad enough. Colder and there was a danger the pipes could freeze. And just miserable. The post Hurricane Irene power outage I experienced (4 days) was fine it was in the 70s inside anyway, was cooler in the morning. The city opened emergency shelters during the power outage, none were opened during the summer. Lack of hot water was annoying though. If it had been particularly hot you can always go outside anyway. Of course, since I don't have A/C the lack of power doesn't make much difference ( was at my parent's anyway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 04:29 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
We had a power failure in the April Blizzard of 2012. It only lasted a few hours.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:30 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Odd. A wintertime power outage sounds like a horror. The October snowstorm was bad enough. Colder and there was a danger the pipes could freeze. And just miserable. The post Hurricane Irene power outage I experienced (4 days) was fine it was in the 70s inside anyway, was cooler in the morning. The city opened emergency shelters during the power outage, none were opened during the summer. Lack of hot water was annoying though. If it had been particularly hot you can always go outside anyway. Of course, since I don't have A/C the lack of power doesn't make much difference ( was at my parent's anyway).
We were lucky to have such nice weather. If we were in Florida, it'd be a different story!

Old 09-06-2012, 05:15 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Are you saying summertime power outages are worse than wintertime power outages or the other way around?
On a personal level ABSOLUTELY. On a widespread level unfortunetly not. People arent better prepared for winter outages..

Quote:
The other way around. I strongly prefer wintertime outages over summertime outages. The pure misery and deadly heat of a summertime outage makes a post-ice storm outage seem like a piece of cake.
100000% agree. All I need is my wood stove (FREE HEAT) which I heat with anyway and pipes nor I will freeze. Couple of solar lights inside, candles and a book and I'm set. I would be lost without internet. Then again, I have a cell phone that provides that.

Look at this way, I had my fridge in the garage to stay cool during a winter outage with bags of ice inside thanks to a gas station supplier.

I think nobody would complain if they had a generator which seems to become the norm. Just like neighbors tearing down trees cause they are scared. (I guess they should be)

Old 09-06-2012, 05:32 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
We were lucky to have such nice weather. If we were in Florida, it'd be a different story!
Exactly. Although highs in the 70's can still be rough (since the inside temperature in my house will likely be 74F+) that isn't what I was talking about, which was more in the range of above 80F by day and above 65F by night. Also, going outside does nothing; when it's scorching-hot outside as well as inside a person is just as miserable, so I don't see the improvement. If anything the sun and bugs and increased humidity would make it worse.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Exactly. Although highs in the 70's can still be rough (since the inside temperature in my house will likely be 74F+) that isn't what I was talking about, which was more in the range of above 80F by day and above 65F by night. Also, going outside does nothing; when it's scorching-hot outside as well as inside a person is just as miserable, so I don't see the improvement. If anything the sun and bugs and increased humidity would make it worse.
The days we had no power it was: 76/63, 78/55, 81/59, 83/60. If it were hotter it would be less comfortable inside, true but it's nowhere the hazard near freezing indoor temperatures in the winter and large danger of broken pipes. Normal life will become difficult. In any event, a summer power outage only has much of an indoor comfort if you have A/C! I don't, so the effect would obviously be minor compared to winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

I think nobody would complain if they had a generator which seems to become the norm.
Few have a generator around in my neighborhood. I don't have a wood stove either.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:27 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,465,428 times
Quote:
Few have a generator around in my neighborhood. I don't have a wood stove either.
Same

Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,513 times
The talk of one's life being in danger in a winter power outage is such typical outlandish bull coming from heat loving****ters. . Manchuria, Mongolia, and the Arctic had been inhabited for millenia before the humans discovered the tropics. How did the East Asians' civilizations cope with winters in their traditional wooden houses before the age of electricity? How did the Mongols manage to build an empire stretching from Eastern Europe to Southeast Asia with those deadly home winters that kill? Any answers???

Old 09-06-2012, 11:55 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,465,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
The talk of one's life being in danger in a winter power outage is such typical outlandish bull coming from heat loving****ters. . Manchuria, Mongolia, and the Arctic had been inhabited for millenia before the humans discovered the tropics. How did the East Asians' civilizations cope with winters in their traditional wooden houses before the age of electricity? How did the Mongols manage to build an empire stretching from Eastern Europe to Southeast Asia with those deadly home winters that kill? Any answers???
Uhh you do know that humans evolved in Africa, right? Please tell me how they survived those long, brutal African winters.

Secondly, before there was electricity, people in East Asia had adopted their lifestyle around the cold winters. Every house had a stove or a fireplace. Houses were small so they were easy to heat. Family members slept in the same bed to conserve body heat.

Modern houses are not designed to be lived in during winter without central heating or electricity. A few have a fireplace but many do not.

Last edited by MrMarbles; 09-07-2012 at 12:04 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 01:13 AM

914 posts, read 2,104,513 times
Yikes you are telling me that modern houses provide less thermo insulation than those traditional ones built from wood and paper? How do you explain the European heat wave that killed 70,000+ people in 2003, and the 2012 extreme cold wave that only took 824 casualties?

Traditional East Asian house

Modern masonry house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather