Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 07:21 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I don't associate rain with either heat or cold, but I was just thinking about that the other day. I hate that humidity you feel when summer rain stops and the sun comes right back out.
UGH , don't remind me about those horrific conditions. Too hot to wear clothes. Rain is comfy only when it's chilly outside (Below 65 F).

But even up here in NJ, completely rainy summer days are significantly cooler than sunny days. So it's common to associate rain with cold even outside Medditeranian climates. This summer, we had a high 69 F and low 54 F day with rain in mid July. There were days like that last June as well.

The idea is, We usually have summer heat followed by heavy thunderstorms in the evening. Our average diurnal range in summer is 20-25 F. So, evening thunderstorms can play a significant role in cooling us down unlike florida. I have seen days with noon temps of 95 F and midnight temps of 59 F thanks to evening thunderstorms.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 11-02-2013 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 10:07 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Well, you have to keep in mind that most Mediterranean climates are not bone-dry in summer. They do get summer thunderstorms (especially the Med. climates in Europe).

Old 11-06-2013, 12:40 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Living in Sydney I associate rain with a cold front that ends intense heat. When it rains here it's usually cool as we mostly get it in autumn and early winter the most.

In some occasions though we do receive rain with the air being warm (say 27C). I remember this happening prominently in Feb 2010. It rained a lot, but it wasn't cold. The air was very warm and humid. That happened because of Cyclone Olga - which brought warm humid winds from the north.

But mostly, we have rain with cold air since it comes from the south rather than from the tropics (ie. ex cyclones).

Old 11-06-2013, 03:44 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,452,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Well, you have to keep in mind that most Mediterranean climates are not bone-dry in summer. They do get summer thunderstorms (especially the Med. climates in Europe).
Mediterranean climates are different; ones like Rhodes
are very dry in summer (0.1 milimeters of precipitation in July and August!)

Old 12-23-2013, 05:58 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
My grandma, being from SoCal, assumes if it is raining it must be cold. But after vacationing in Hawaii, the Deep South and the Caribbean, she has learned that only in some parts of the world is the rain a 'cold rain'.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:48 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
I associate rain with spring and fall more than anything else. Where I grew up, eastern France, winters are relatively dry, yet pretty grey. Not like the constant drizzle of northwestern Europe, and with colder temperatures.

Usually the wettest time of the year was divided between late spring showers in may/june and the arrival of wet cool atlantic air around november.

Summer rain is more about short thunderstorms, intense rain that cools down the atmosphere a bit between periods of warm/hot weather.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:51 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
In London it's associated with autumn and winter, even though winters are actually quite dry, but dull.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:16 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,644 times
It depends. In summer, 33 °C and rain it's very hot and sweaty, while in winter, 3 °C and rain is very cold and chilly. I don't associate rain with temperatures. Rain = wet, not hot or cold.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:31 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,654,775 times
people here in indonesia (tropics) always associate rain with cool. 27-30c afternoon with rain called "cool", but just 22-25c morning with strong sun and clear skies called "warm" even "hot". Rain feels cooler, even though the actual temp maybe warming up because of the rain (or even just clouds!!!).

Old 12-14-2014, 07:37 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,654,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth serious View Post
In Costa Rica, the dry season is called "summer" even though the sun is lower in that season since it's north hemisphere winter. Looks like the colonists used to mediterranean climate associated dry weather with summer and rainy weather with winter. The dry season in however isn't significantly colder than the wet season in Costa Rica; maybe if it was they wouldn't have called it "summer".
same in indonesia.

For example. In jakarta, tropical monsoon climate.

Summer = dry season
"Winter" = monsoon season. Highs more likely fail to reach 30c (annual avg 33c/24c) cause of clouds and rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather