Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:08 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,990,577 times

Advertisements

Hmmm here we associate the rain with winter months although we get occasional thunderstorms in summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 12:43 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,745,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbyzero0 View Post
people here in indonesia (tropics) always associate rain with cool. 27-30c afternoon with rain called "cool", but just 22-25c morning with strong sun and clear skies called "warm" even "hot". Rain feels cooler, even though the actual temp maybe warming up because of the rain (or even just clouds!!!).
27-30 with rain and high dew point fell WAY MUCH warmer than a 22-25°C morning with strong sun/clear skies but low dewpoint.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:09 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
So like totally true. In the Californians mind, the words "rain" and "cold" are synonymous. People commonly say things like "It was 80 degrees last week and now it's raining (meaning cold) because they CANNOT fathom it being 80 degrees AND raining at the same time." It's natural for a Californian to see rain falling outside and reach for a sweater. I think some Californians dislike rain because they associate it with cold and they don't like cold. They might like rain better if we got some those summer monsoons once a week rather than once every 3 years. Others dislike humidity and say they'd rather have their rain on the coolish side because find they humidity stifling (I like humidity in moderation).

I don't mind wearing a raincoat over a sweater and rainboots with socks in winter but I also like to wear shorts and sandals in the warm rain in summer. One of the highlights of our family's visits to Hawaii over Christmas or President's week when we were kids was putting on swimsuits and playing in the warm rain and then shocking our less traveled friends by showing them the photos. They would ask "weren't you COLD" because it was RAINING?"

Some people here freak out and stay inside at any sight of rain no matter what the temperature and claim that's why they live in L.A. for its dryness.

Last summer, when we got a heavy warm monsoonal shower, the common response was cognitive dissonance because rain and heat don't normally mix here. Some complained about how miserable the humidity was while others were delighted at how they could go into the rain wearing summer clothes without feeling cold.

Now that it's winter, we're back to our normal "cold" rains with highs in the low 60s.

So, yes, in our climate the words and "rain" and "cold" are as synonymous as "tissue" and "kleenex".

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 12-14-2014 at 08:43 PM..

Old 12-15-2014, 12:58 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,656,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
27-30 with rain and high dew point fell WAY MUCH warmer than a 22-25°C morning with strong sun/clear skies but low dewpoint.
But thats what feel for most of the residents here.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:37 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post

I don't mind wearing a raincoat over a sweater and rainboots with socks in winter but I also like to wear shorts and sandals in the warm rain in summer. One of the highlights of our family's visits to Hawaii over Christmas or President's week when we were kids was putting on swimsuits and playing in the warm rain and then shocking our less traveled friends by showing them the photos. They would ask "weren't you COLD" because it was RAINING?"
swimming in the sea in the summer rain is a great thing

Old 09-14-2015, 10:44 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,656,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
One thing I have noted too about people from some warmer climates is that they place a greater emphasis on cloud cover in determining whether it's "hot" or "cool". I have friends from Tabasco - one of the warmest states in Mexico - and I noted a temperature of 93F at the Villahermosa airport with a dewpoint of about 77F one day. I asked a girl there if she thought the day was hot, and she said no, the sun didn't come out. If we have a day like that in MN, it's almost surely going to be considered hot and humid. But other, relatively cool and sunny days where it only reaches 86F or so are called "hot". It's probably a matter of greater solar radiation at lower latitudes.
This. People here can say lembang "hot" when its like 22c and sunny but "cool" in Jakarta when it's 32C and cloudy!

Old 09-15-2015, 05:44 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,663 times
Here we associate Rain with cold,The rainy season(May-August),is during Southern Hemisphere Winter.. so..

Old 09-15-2015, 07:43 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
In the past we associated rain with cold, but in the past few years we have associated rain with unicorns.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:42 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,774,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes, but February is almost as wet and August, I believe, is Sydney's driest month. Sydney's rainfall is fairly evenly distributed throughout the year.

The same goes for Melbourne. When it rains in summer it's usually quite cool. I think that's more the fact that both these cities do not have hot summers to start with.
Rain is definately associated with Summer here (Heat, Humidity)

Old 09-15-2015, 08:46 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Rain is definately associated with Summer here (Heat, Humidity)
Yep. That doesn't stop the morons from saying "It's summer!! Why is it raining so much?" I think some people down here think we live in Los Angeles or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather