Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think the point I was trying to make is that its silly to complain about hot weather living in Houston, anymore than it is complaining about subfreezing weather in Yellowknife or rainy weather in Vancouver. Assuming the OP grew up there, they would know to expect hot weather in Houston at almost any time of year. Plus in addition to that they may have the option down the road to move to a colder and snowier climate like Anchorage when they are able to unlike heat lovers in Canada like me who have a much more difficult time as immigration to another country is the only option
Warm weather can be expected at any time of the year, yes. Not HOT weather, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
My only point in this thread was me simply wondering why the south doesn't seem to experience extreme winter weather more often. We're frequently above average but rarely below average, it seems.
Ah yes, that was something I noticed too when I lived down there. It's the same up here, actually; when it's average, it feels cool because we're usually above average.

Take a look at the global temperature anomalies; they've been pretty warm for the past 15 years or so. Since it's global, the effects obviously differ for the different regions of the Earth. But it's clear that in the eastern U.S., temperatures have been more often than not warmer than the "average".

Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
There is talk that climate change could actually cause winters in NW Europe to be colder.. we've had a few cold winters recently, but it's too early to say if it's a trend. In 20 years time we'll know!

Old 12-03-2012, 01:04 PM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
There is talk that climate change could actually cause winters in NW Europe to be colder.. we've had a few cold winters recently, but it's too early to say if it's a trend. In 20 years time we'll know!
There is also talk that the world will end on December 21st

Despite 3 out of the last 4 winters having cold snaps, only one year was below average & 2011 was the second warmest year on record, so that kind of blows any 'trend' out of the water...

Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 PM

As you said yourself on a previous thread, you cannot say if a trend is happening or not until we've had a few years of concrete evidence, so I would wait until the year 2050 before making sweeping statements about what is happening in the UK with regards to winter, and yes, I mean winter, the rest of the year could be scorching hot for all I care.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
As you said yourself on a previous thread, you cannot say if a trend is happening or not until we've had a few years of concrete evidence, so I would wait until the year 2050 before making sweeping statements about what is happening in the UK with regards to winter.
And you just hinted that the climate was changing, leading to colder winters in the UK... So yes you shouldn't make sweeping statements either So what is it 20 years or 40 years before we will know?

Old 12-03-2012, 01:16 PM

No, I said there was talk (speculation!), I didn't hint that the climate is changing, I have absolutely no clue.

And either - 2050 is a longer time period, so I have a better chance of being proven correct.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:27 PM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
I want a foot of snow in Houston..
Well, GFS model keeps hinting at snow in northern Texas next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
I would not rule out "a foot of snow in Houston" even today. In 2005 nearby Austin got about 8 inches on December 25th for it's first-ever white Christmas - so snow where you live is not impossible..
Interesting... I have to look that one up and your right, its not impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
I had around a foot of snow in the 2010-2011 winter.
Interesting for NorthWest Mississippi. I remember that one.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:07 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
I'm a native Houstonian. I know our winters here are mild. But for the past few days, Houston has been way above average. 83 degress in December is not the norm.
Obviously 83F isn't the norm (in fact it's 2F from the monthly record high), but in December warm waves 70's and 80's do occur.

Quote:
My only point in this thread was me simply wondering why the south doesn't seem to experience extreme winter weather more often. We're frequently above average but rarely below average, it seems.
It just seems to be how winter works in the South. The warm anomalies when they occur seem to be less extreme than the cold anomalies when they occur. The January monthly record high in Houston is 24F above average, whereas the record low is 34F below average. Hypothetically, let's say your January average is 45F. If, in a hypothetical month, 20 days are 55F (+10 from average), and 10 days are 25F (-20 from average), the average for that month is 45F, right on the nose for the average despite below-average weather being rarer. In the real world it works like that on a larger scale (30+ years worth of Januaries) with smaller anomalies.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:17 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,825 times
I know...

Last edited by cloudcrash619; 12-03-2012 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: quoting mistake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather