Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 04:56 AM

2,714 posts, read 3,046,009 times

Advertisements

Cape Town will have an interesting climate for sure. Summer highs maybe about 20°C, with occassional heat waves with over 30°C- winter rather coolish but not really cold with maybe a few degrees above freezing on average. But significant snowfalls should then occur on an annual basis.

Also another interesing thing would be will the coastal Namib desert still exist in this scenario?
It would be about 40° South then in the westwind zone, so i guess it will be wetter than now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 05:06 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
Southern Chile has glaciers. The Cape of Good Hope would be as famous as Cape Horn for shipwrecks and wild weather. Mariners call fifty degreese south the furious fifties. They call sixty degrees south the screaming sixties. For thousands of years thevind has blown out of the west at 60 south. The swells are huge. I sat in the Pilot's seat of my helicopter which as chained to th deck and watched the altimeter go up and own 125 feet. Then there were waves on top of the swells. Our ship rolled 56 degrees either side of an even keel. When the ship rolls 40 degrees, stops and then rolls another 16 degrees in the sme direction it make you wonder just how far she's going to roll!

On the other hand, the Sues canal does need to be widened.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:15 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,659,982 times
Dallol - 6°S, wonder how it looks? And sahara centered around equator

Old 03-23-2015, 03:31 PM

824 posts, read 689,235 times
I think Cape Town would be something like this:
Ushuaia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for Dallol, I looked for an eastern and slightly inland city around 6*S, adjusting for altitude it would be around 34*C/23*C throughout the year with a wet and dry season.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morogoro

Old 03-23-2015, 03:53 PM

13,487 posts, read 9,034,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I wonder if hurricanes would start forming in the Mediterranean sea in a scenario like that and I wonder what would happen to hurricane activity in the Atlantic. cape town would have a climate similar to places like Glasgow which is at a similar latitude but a degree further north and in the northern hemisphere. so basically it would have wet cloudy winters with highs in the upper 30s to low 40s. and summers with highs in the upper 60s to low 70s but with occasional heat waves bringing temps to the mid 80s.
We already get "hurricanes" or storms very similar to them forming in the Mediterranean, they are rare & are called "Medicanes"...
Mediterranean tropical-like cyclone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We took a direct hit from one here in Malta last November:
Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : Rare Medicane Hits Malta and Sicily With Tropical Storm-Like Conditions | Weather Underground

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather