Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 09:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
To people in the UK maybe, I would say relatively warm. A summer night here at 59F would be chilly for sure.
And here it would be roughly average; I'm surprised the UK can match my location in lows. I suspect London would still feel cooler than here as it warms up quickly from sunrise so the hours you could feel 50s/low 60s temperatures would be shorter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And here it would be roughly average; I'm surprised the UK can match my location in lows. I suspect London would still feel cooler than here as it warms up quickly from sunrise so the hours you could feel 50s/low 60s temperatures would be shorter.

Is your avg July low 59F? London at Heathrow is 57F, not 59F. Heathrow seems a bit outside the core urban heat island of London. I'm thinking inner city London probably has avg low July temp in the low 60'sF. I don't believe the Greenwich data based on what people from the UK have said.

Weather and climate change - Met Office

I think places outside London, besides Gillingham which has a July avg low of 13.8C, avg cooler July lows than London (urban heat island).

Check out Hounslow (Kew Gardens):

avg July low of 55F.

The further south you go from London temps seem to avg between 53F -55F for avg July low temps.

Same applies here. Our avg low in July is 69F at the airport, but inner city Philadelphia hardly ever goes below the low 70's in July/August. The avg July low is 66F at Millville NJ, around 35 miles outside the city.

Urban heat island seems to play a part in dropping temps a few no matter where in the world you are.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:20 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Is your avg July low 59F? London at Heathrow is 57F, not 59F. Heathrow seems a bit outside the core urban heat island of London. I'm thinking inner city London probably has avg low July temp in the low 60'sF. I don't believe the Greenwich data based on what people from the UK have said.

I think places outside London, besides Gillingham which has a July avg low of 13.8C, avg cooler July lows than London (urban heat island).

Check out Hounslow (Kew Gardens):

avg July low of 55F.

The further south you go from London temps seem to avg between 53F -55F for avg July low temps.

Same applies here. Our avg low in July is 69F at the airport, but inner city Philadelphia hardly ever goes below the low 70's in July/August. The avg July low is 66F at Millville NJ, around 35 miles outside the city.

Urban heat island seems to play a part in dropping temps a few no matter where in the world you are.
The average low for London during summer is generally between 13C to 15C thats 55F to 59F. The further you go out it gets slightly cooler during summer nights.
Also during the height of summer nights that go below 14C are pretty rare

Old 12-24-2012, 10:25 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
I`ve read this entire thread...............

Here is my point.

How many homes in London have a central air conditioning system, not very many, I think.

Now, ask the same question in Toronto, just about ALL of them do. Or a series of window air conditioning units. Even rental apartment suites have window air conditioning units.

Now ask why...... Obviously, because Toronto gets a long, hot , summer, with weeks of `no rain `.

Can you say that about London..... No you cannot.

I rest my case.

Oh and how many Londoners carry sun glasses with them, every day. Not many, while here in Toronto I have three pairs, one in the car, one in my house, and one pair in my desk at work.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Oh well that's it then, close the thread

Old 12-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Do you know much about climates, people have different preferences. Also London does get prolonged dry spells in summer and also HEATWAVES with temperatures of 28C plus EVERY YEAR.

Have you ever been to London during a heatwave because you would definately need a good air conditioned room.

People here do carry sun glasses but unlike supposely steamy Toronto we can get Autumn type conditioned which can deter people from carrying the essential sun glasses.

And also you have no case!

Old 12-24-2012, 10:41 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
I don't wear sunglasses - apart from skiing or boating. Sunnies are about preference rather than need, although some people do need them.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't wear sunglasses - apart from skiing or boating. Sunnies are about preference rather than need, although some people do need them.
Exactly he was saying as if everyone wears sunglasses.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Do you know much about climates, people have different preferences. Also London does get prolonged dry spells in summer and also HEATWAVES with temperatures of 28C plus EVERY YEAR.

Have you ever been to London during a heatwave because you would definately need a good air conditioned room.

People here do carry sun glasses but unlike supposely steamy Toronto we can get Autumn type conditioned which can deter people from carrying the essential sun glasses.

And also you have no case!
No doubt it gets hot inside buildings without A/C in London during portions of the year, but the need is far less greater than in Toronto. I think I could get away without A/C in London.

What's more common in London, dry heat or humid heat? Toronto gets both, though I'm guessing leans more towards humid heat. Humidity makes all the difference IMO. If the heat in London tends to be dryer, that would make the need for A/C even less.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 AM

Humid heat!! Heat in London is hardly ever dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather