Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:24 PM

15 posts, read 30,815 times

Advertisements

I know that New York City is technically humid subtropical, which sounds really weird since the winters are so cold and snowy.

My definition is all 12 months have a monthly mean of 50 F+, but what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 08:27 PM

650 posts, read 1,629,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustinbieber View Post
I know that New York City is technically humid subtropical, which sounds really weird since the winters are so cold and snowy.

My definition is all 12 months have a monthly mean of 50 F+, but what do you guys think?
OK. But what makes it NOT tropical? We need a complete definition.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:33 PM

15 posts, read 30,815 times
Well tropical climates is all 12 months with a monthly mean of 64 F+, so I would say subtropical would be between 50-64

Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,525,589 times
My climate: hot, long summer, no winters, a very brief period of cool weather, and a good chunk of comfortable transition months. Usually sunnny enough and with rain and sun evenly distributed through the year.

That more or less is a subtropical climate for me.

No, i dont think NY as subtropical, clearly.

Last edited by SophieLL; 01-01-2013 at 09:06 PM..

Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,206,676 times
I don't really use the word; I'm more likely to say "it's too hot in the summer" than anything else.

That's basically my definition. Too hot in the summer and not cold enough for regular snow in the winter. I don't think of NYC as subtropical because it seems to get a good snowfall or two every winter.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 PM

650 posts, read 1,629,694 times
So, what would be the warmest subtropical city and coldest?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:19 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Warmest subtropical city would be something like San Antonio where it still qualifies for subtropical because of yearly precip levels but because of being on the cusp of the transition belt to semi-arid it has precip minimum in summer causing summer highs to be in the upper 90's. Being far enough south it doesn't get many cold fronts and stays in 60's in the winter.

Coldest subtropical city fitting the >50 description would be something like Raleigh where there are cold fronts in the winter but average winter high is above 50. Summer is hot and humid but nothing like Houston or San Antonio because of tropical systems and high rainfall rates in summer keeping temps down.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,587,584 times
I'd say subtropical climates are hard to define as I see them as representing a large range of transitional climates with widely varying characteristics. I do agree though that calling NYC's or Washington DC's climates subtropical seems like a misnomer. Broadly speaking, I'd define such climates as having:

-Warm to hot summers (average maximums exceed 24C/75F)
-A noticeably cooler winter period (average maximums are less than 24C/75F)
-Little, if any snowfall
-Average maximum temperatures in the coldest month exceed 10C/50F and average minimum temperatures are above freezing

In the USA, I'd say that the climate starts getting borderline tropical in coastal areas south of Tampa, the rest of the gulf coast states are at least subtropical imo. The far northern boundary for my subtropical definition would be around Virginia Beach along the coast, and for inland areas around Charlotte. Certain areas of the Californian coast such as downtown San Francisco or Eureka are not sufficiently warm in summer and I think of more as cool temperate.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,525,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I'd say subtropical climates are hard to define as I see them as representing a large range of transitional climates with widely varying characteristics. I do agree though that calling NYC's or Washington DC's climates subtropical seems like a misnomer. Broadly speaking, I'd define such climates as having:

-Warm to hot summers (average maximums exceed 24C/75F)
-A noticeably cooler winter period (average maximums are less than 24C/75F)
-Little, if any snowfall
-Average maximum temperatures in the coldest month exceed 10C/50F and average minimum temperatures are above freezing

In the USA, I'd say that the climate starts getting borderline tropical in coastal areas south of Tampa, the rest of the gulf coast states are at least subtropical imo. The far northern boundary for my subtropical definition would be around Virginia Beach along the coast, and for inland areas around Charlotte. Certain areas of the Californian coast such as downtown San Francisco or Eureka are not sufficiently warm in summer and I think of more as cool temperate.

but that qualifys a lot of the oceanic climates into the subtropical category? with that characteristic, then Mar del Plata would be subtropical.

Ill say subtropical summers should be more hot than warm. Like average high above 28 or general average above 22c-

Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,587,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
but that qualifys a lot of the oceanic climates into the subtropical category? with that characteristic, then Mar del Plata would be subtropical.

Ill say subtropical summers should be more hot than warm. Like average high above 28 or general average above 22c-
Yes that's true but its's only my definition, Koppen's official criteria states that the average 24-hour temperature should be 22C+ in the warmest month to be classed subtropical. To me MDP could be considered subtropical, I'm looking more for warmer temperatures in the winter rather than necessarily hot summers...but that does include a very wide range of climates admittedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather