Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 11:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Our dew point is -2°C, too. Forecast low temperature tonight is -2°C. Yuck. Hopefully the last one of the season? Probably won't be, but there's a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
I feel everyone needs some warmth so I'll share with you some of mine.

I got a kick out of your town name. "Heights"? Are you kidding me. Nothing in Miami is over like 15', lol.

Great summer forecast though. For us that would be a typical August forecast.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post
Interesting blog..

"Despite all these remarkable cold weather events, global temperatures during March 2013 were the 9th warmest since 1880, said NASA."

Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : Unusually cold spring in Europe and the Southeast U.S. due to the Arctic Oscillation | Weather Underground
That's how the Earth cools, baby. The previous warming stalls out at a high level, the cold weather events pop up, and then the cold takes over . Blocking is associated with cooler periods in history, and in any case I'm sure the coldies are enjoying it.

Quote:
Is it normal to have 2 consecutive days forecast to be "breezy" in that area? Florida never struck me as being a windy or even breezy place aside from tropical storms.

Meanwhile, one of the recent GFS model runs has upped the ante on the coming storm in early May. Although it is an outlier and this scenario is unlikely, to have a scenario like this pop up at all is remarkable. It's showing a much stronger and colder system with a more southerly track, dropping well over a foot of snow in Wisconsin by May 3:

By May 5, the snow cover extends from Texarkana to the Labrador coast:

A snowstorm of this magnitude this late in the year would be truly unprecedented. That said, I don't think it will happen. The model consensus is for one or two upper-level lows to drop 6-12 inches of snow somewhere in the northern tier east of the Plains. Even this consensus scenario would be a rare event, though, so don't be disappointed if the eventual outcome falls short of the 12+ inch scenario. This model run is the most extreme to date and represents the extreme strong end of possible outcomes for this storm.

If this scenario were to take place and 18 inches or so fell in southern Wisconsin, it would likely be a top 10 snowstorm for the town that struck the jackpot. The 30-year average for snowfall in May in most of southern Wisconsin is zero inches, so to have a top 10 storm in May would be incredible.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Here's the current snow cover in the Northern Plains:

A lot is gone, but quite a bit left to melt

National Snow Analyses - NOHRSC - The ultimate source for snow information

Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Sounds nice.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:13 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Keep it. You guys share enough of your warmth and humidity during the summer.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:55 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Below is one map of current temperatures and one map of current snow cover - notice how in the outlined area of heavy snow cover temperatures are much lower than surrounding areas. This is an extreme example of how snowpack can be self-perpetuating, i.e. the snowpack has a cooling effect on temperature.

Below are the departures from normal for today. Notice the cool East, and the warm Northwest, as well as the concentration of cooler than normal temperatures in Texas:

A curiosity is tomorrow's lows - the huge area of near-normal lows tomorrow is very unusual:

Also, TWC's forecast for May 2. The actual conditions will depend greatly on the timing, placing, and intensity of the coming upper-level low, but the Southwest looks like the only region with above-normal temperatures:

Old 04-25-2013, 02:01 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Yesterday and today warmed up enough so we are having a bit of snow melt, making the roads messy.

If the video does not open for you here is a direct link
Marion ND 425-2003 - YouTube

But if it goes as it usually goes we will get another cold spell and some snow in May.

Real warm today. Actually feels hot to me.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:49 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I got a kick out of your town name. "Heights"? Are you kidding me. Nothing in Miami is over like 15', lol.

Great summer forecast though. For us that would be a typical August forecast.
It's the census bureau that imposes these ridiculous names on us. I personally still consider this area Westchester but oh well what can I do.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:53 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowboundwithCabinFever View Post
keep it......we don't want your warmth!!!!
what! but why don't you just love that feeling of warmth around not having to wear a jacket or sweater and it's not hot either. the humidity is nice not dry but not humid it's just perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather