Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 08:59 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
50F and cloudy beats 35F and sun any day.

I'd say with wind yes, but without any no. 50F and drizzly rain feels colder than 35F and sunny without wind. Philly temps fluctuate all winter, so I have experience with this. Again this is all subjective though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 03:13 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
As an expert on cold climates, I finally thought that I'd put my two cents into the pot.

Indeed, cold, snowy weather is much better than perpetual rain. When the climate is cold enough, you don't have to think about a few things:
- the snow that gets dirty is replaced with new snow if the removal is efficient and it stays cold.
- dunno complained about the mud. But when the ground is continuously frozen to a inch (2.5cm) deep during the winter, even rainfall doesn't make the soil muddy.
- Light. As most snowy locations are at the far northern latitudes, the snowpack illuminate the surface. A 5C and completely cloudy is much much worse than -4C with a snowpack and clear skies.
- Traffic. I've said it before. In Finland, traffic accidents actually decreases during the winter. People use winter tyres and are more aware of the conditions.
- Insulation and heating bills. I don't know. All houses are so well insulated, that my heating bills stay quite the same year round. Of course oil-heated detatched houses get a rise during the winter.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:16 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
As an expert on cold climates, I finally thought that I'd put my two cents into the pot.

Indeed, cold, snowy weather is much better than perpetual rain. .
Cold and snow is better than 3°C and rain but not better than 8°C+ and rain in my experience. 8°C+ is welcome in winter no matter the wether!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 PM

797 posts, read 1,344,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

Indeed, cold, snowy weather is much better than perpetual rain. When the climate is cold enough, you don't have to think about a few things:
- the snow that gets dirty is replaced with new snow if the removal is efficient and it stays cold.
- dunno complained about the mud. But when the ground is continuously frozen to a inch (2.5cm) deep during the winter, even rainfall doesn't make the soil muddy.
- Light. As most snowy locations are at the far northern latitudes, the snowpack illuminate the surface. A 5C and completely cloudy is much much worse than -4C with a snowpack and clear skies.
- Traffic. I've said it before. In Finland, traffic accidents actually decreases during the winter. People use winter tyres and are more aware of the conditions.
- Insulation and heating bills. I don't know. All houses are so well insulated, that my heating bills stay quite the same year round. Of course oil-heated detatched houses get a rise during the winter.
regarding mud-------------most areas cold enough to get continuos winter ground frost usually don't get rain in winter.

Also, there is nothing worst than when the 5 ft deep frost unthaws in spring.
No bottom to the mud.

A world of difference than mud from summer rains.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:05 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'd say with wind yes, but without any no. 50F and drizzly rain feels colder than 35F and sunny without wind. Philly temps fluctuate all winter, so I have experience with this. Again this is all subjective though.
I've seen people claim that 20F and sunny felt warmer than 46F with drizzle, even when both occur in the same day (the day starts off with 20F with sun then warms up, turns cloudy, and drizzles). However, this is the most extreme I've seen it. Usually 20F and sunny feels colder than 46F with drizzle even to these same people, and as for myself I always feel colder at 20F than 46F, unless the 46F is accompanied by torrential rain with 50 mph winds or some such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather