Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:08 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
That's me, I'm not a fan of cold days in May when the days are long yet you don't want to go outside and enjoy them or of 15C and humid weather in November when you wake up to dark and grey and dress for the idea that it "looks cold outside".
It really does make the most sense but I don't mind s little bit of seasonal lag. In Seattle the warmest days of the year usually come a full month after the summer solstice so I guess I am just used to it. (The coldest days however usually seem closer to the winter solstice but the spring warm up is a very gradual process).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 05:22 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
London's coldest day usually falls in the 2nd or 3rd week of January, the warmest day in the first week of August.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:23 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,613,373 times
Seasonal lag is great because I love variety and variance. However, I will whine when Spring turns our weather damp, foggy and cloudy when I'm expecting it to warm up more but that is life near the Great Lakes. Spring does tend to drag on when one expects summer to arrive!

Old 03-02-2013, 05:24 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
No they are not: cause Mar is not autumn. Autumn starts in april, March is a SUMMER month, and the comparision would be between october/april (virtually the same climate, october is sunnier and april can be slightly warmer) and may/november (november is MUCH hotter than may).
Autum here is april/may and spring october/november. The second combo is much hotter than the first combo.

It seems we have no seasonal lag at all.
I counted the seasons as three month periods, not by actual temperatures. Of course November is warmer than May, as Nov is the last month of spring, and May the last of autumn. Like I doubt you'll find any places in the northern hemisphere where May is colder than November. It's also extremely rare to find places where autumn is sunnier than spring.

The 24h mean temp in BA Sep-Nov is 17.5C, in Mar-May 17.8C, so as we all said, a minimal seasonal lag. Almost none.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:28 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London's coldest day usually falls in the 2nd or 3rd week of January, the warmest day in the first week of August.
Thats not necessarily true.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:32 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Because a lot of people would rather have the longer days be the warmest to take best advantage of the long daylight and have only the shortest days be the coldest/snowiest.
Precisely. The seasonal lag/lead is correlated with sun angle. If the hottest month is June and the highest sun is June, then that is quite different from having the hottest month in September when the days are shorter and the sun angle noticeably lower. Now, if the highest sun angle and the hottest month were in September, then that wouldn't be an issue, but in that case the difference is just in the names of the months. What one prefers is subjective, but no one is pretending anything else. Besides, aside from weather that is instantly lethal (such as -400F or +1000F), all weather preferences are subjective.

I'll repost my response from another thread to answer the OP's question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I believe seasonal lag is a drag , and I just don't like it. I prefer climates with no seasonal lag* or even accelerated seasons, where autumn and spring come in fast and do not relent. I operate best in a climatic environment where today's season gives no quarter to yesterday's season, of course with the exception of summer - I can do without that season .

*"No seasonal lag" refers to July being the hottest month, and June and August being at the same slightly cooler temperatures (like 78/58F for July, and 74/54F for June and August), or the winter equivalent of that. Accelerated seasons refer to August being significantly cooler than June, or the winter equivalent.
I prefer the warmest time of year to be from mid-June to mid-July, with August being significantly cooler than June. I'd also like May to be significantly warmer than September. Ideally the hottest day of the year would be June 25, plus or minus a few days.

I don't care as much about the winter pattern, but I don't like for December to be more "transitional" than "deep winter". Ideally the coldest time of year would be from mid-December to the end of January. The coldest temperature of the year could occur at any point in that period, but if I had to choose one date it would be December 25. I think it would be nice for the most wintry time of year to coincide with the Winter Solstice and Christmas.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:16 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
There is a strong seasonal lag in my dream climate, especially in spring, but I don't want any slushy crap for too long or mud, so any thaw must take place rapidly, followed by a dry spring with sunshine plentiful, as well as some windy days. November is much drier milder than March, while March is virtually a winter month, November is more like a British January, but with more cold spells and snow. February is often the coldest month of the year.

Summer has virtually no lag, July being the warmest month, followed by August and June. The most noticeable seasonal lag is only present from October - April, possibly May.

Something similar to Turku, Finland.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 03-02-2013 at 06:26 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 PM

477 posts, read 802,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Precisely. The seasonal lag/lead is correlated with sun angle. If the hottest month is June and the highest sun is June, then that is quite different from having the hottest month in September when the days are shorter and the sun angle noticeably lower. Now, if the highest sun angle and the hottest month were in September, then that wouldn't be an issue, but in that case the difference is just in the names of the months. What one prefers is subjective, but no one is pretending anything else. Besides, aside from weather that is instantly lethal (such as -400F or +1000F), all weather preferences are subjective.

I'll repost my response from another thread to answer the OP's question:

I prefer the warmest time of year to be from mid-June to mid-July, with August being significantly cooler than June. I'd also like May to be significantly warmer than September. Ideally the hottest day of the year would be June 25, plus or minus a few days.

I don't care as much about the winter pattern, but I don't like for December to be more "transitional" than "deep winter". Ideally the coldest time of year would be from mid-December to the end of January. The coldest temperature of the year could occur at any point in that period, but if I had to choose one date it would be December 25. I think it would be nice for the most wintry time of year to coincide with the Winter Solstice and Christmas.
You'd like Russia then.

For example, many Russian climates have noticeably less seasonal lag than Canadian climates.

November is colder than march, august temps signifancantly lower than July,
with september slightly cooler than may.

Generally this is not the case in most of Canada (except interior BC).

Old 03-02-2013, 07:58 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Summer has virtually no lag, July being the warmest month, followed by August and June. The most noticeable seasonal lag is only present from October - April, possibly May.

Something similar to Turku, Finland.
This slight seasonal lead in May vs September has somehow been reversed in recent years. When I compared the last 12 years (2001-2012) with the complete 1981-2010 averages, the mean temp in May has risen by 0.1C, and in September by a whole 1.1C. What I find odd is that only single September has been colder than the 30 year average.
This contradicts the fact that spring has warmen up the most since early 20th century (by 1.9C).

On the other hand, the monthly mean in October has risen by only 0.1C, while April has risen with 0.8C.
In precipitation patterns there has been no change whatsoever in any month.

Of course this is a short period of time and not completely scientific, as is clearly noticeable with the record-cold October of 2002. Only that single month lowers the 12 year Oct mean by 0.4C.
I still find especially the September figures very interesting.

September vs May:

May 15.5 10.2 4.8 (1981-2010)
May 15.5 10.3 5.1 (2001-2012)

Sep 14.9 11.0 7.2 (1981-2010)
Sep 15.9 12.1 8.3 (2001-2012)

Old 03-02-2013, 08:44 PM

559 posts, read 747,819 times
I despise seasonal lag. It annoys me so much when the sun doesn't set until 7 PM in March but I can't go out and enjoy the long days because it's only 35 degrees. And it's equally as annoying when it's 60 degrees in November but it's usually cloudy and it gets dark by 5 PM. In my ideal climate, the warmest temperatures would be in late June or early July, and the coldest temperatures would be in late December, around Christmas time. The seasonal transition would be gradual though, not too sharp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather