Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Texas city suits you?
Amarillo 16 61.54%
Brownsville 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,509,126 times

Advertisements

Texas is a big state with a large climate choice, so I decided to compare the climate from the Panhandle and South Texas to see which one people on this forum prefer.

Amarillo, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brownsville, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I pick Amarillo because summers are hot, but less humid and winter are mild (but cold mornings) with snow possible. It also sunnier than Brownsville, but like Brownsville, is also on the dry side, but even drier which I don't really like. Although, something that out found interesting about Brownsville is that it's only accumulating snowfall (1.5 in.) was on Christmas morning, during "The South Texas Christmas Miracle". I just can't imagine how the residents reacted, that must have been awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 10:04 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,890,125 times
Amarillo because it seems like the right amount of seasonal range to enjoy it but not extremely cold or extremely hot to the point where it becomes uncomfortable (if dressed appropriately) or dangerous. On the hottest days, I'd stay indoors unless running errands though.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:39 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Brownsville.

Besides being close to South Padre Island's beaches and a quick jaunt to Matamoros, it doesn't have the howling wind, lack of rain, and unpredictable weather that Amarillo has.

Vegetation has a hard time growing in Amarillo because of the wind. They have wind breaks made of trees in various parts of the Panhandle to try to provide wind breaks. Those areas are heavily watered and sometimes are anchored in.

It's also freezing cold in winter (don't look at the averages) and burning hot in summer (again don't look at the averages).

Brownsville is more consistent, just consistently warm to hot....

Old 03-12-2013, 12:18 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,213,227 times
Brownsville, due to the near-tropical climate and tropical foliage. One thing I hate about Brownsville though, is that it gets cold snaps in winter.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Brownsville! Much warmer winters. You can grow many kinds of palm trees there

Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Show me the way to Amarillo..

Old 03-12-2013, 01:20 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,070,523 times
Actually a tough choice (something rarely seen in recent climate battles). Brownsville's summers look oppresive (almost at the level of Dubai, Mecca, etc.) while Amarillo's look fairly comfortable. Amarillo, on the other hand, is much colder in winter, but it does seem like the 'good' kind of cold for me -- sunny, crisp mornings followed by mildish afternoons. I imagine it gets a lot of warm winter days (50s lows, 70s highs) with a few cold snow days interspersed, so it's almost like a hybrid winter-summer.

An additional 600 sunshine hours for Amarillo seals the deal. I pick Amarillo.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,602,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Actually a tough choice (something rarely seen in recent climate battles). Brownsville's summers look oppresive (almost at the level of Dubai, Mecca, etc.) while Amarillo's look fairly comfortable. Amarillo, on the other hand, is much colder in winter, but it does seem like the 'good' kind of cold for me -- sunny, crisp mornings followed by mildish afternoons. I imagine it gets a lot of warm winter days (50s lows, 70s highs) with a few cold snow days interspersed, so it's almost like a hybrid winter-summer.

An additional 600 sunshine hours for Amarillo seals the deal. I pick Amarillo.
Yes. I don't care if a night is cold if the following day is sunny with a quick warm-up.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:12 PM

331 posts, read 592,865 times
Amarillo by far.

You will never be bored of the weather in Amarillo

I've been there many times and you can expect almost any kind of weather, you name it, they get it.

When I'm in Amarillo, I always stop by and eat at the Big Texan Steak Ranch,
they have a 72 ounce steak that's free if you can eat it all

Old 03-12-2013, 06:58 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
Definitely Amarillo. More snow and less oppressive summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather