Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 3 hrs at 100F in the shade or 3 hrs of 85F in the sun
3 hrs at 100F in the shade wearing whatever you want 54 91.53%
3 hrs at 85F in the sun wearing a suit 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 11:57 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I can't find the UV for monday, but yesterday was between 9-10. While it's high for the time of the year, it's still 3-4 below peak summer values. One of the people was Malaysian, one from the south of France, one from Nevada (the bad case) and a local. The were all well tanned, two of them having recently arrived from Thailand. Had a good chat with someone from California recently about the difference between sun strength between here and there. Their view was that the sun felt much stronger here, even in winter. When I was in California, I decided what makes it a standout climate, was the mild sun. May there and the sun totally lacked any bite. No sunscreen, no hat, no glare - It was great. Compared to December here, it was a cakewalk.

Sunburn is an issue every season on the orchard, but mid March is usually considered as not too bad. I often ask people on here about conditions (started a thread but there was little interest) when they mention hot sun, as I wonder whether factors other than UV have a significant role. Low dewpoints and clear air from sea breezes or a front off the ocean, result in an intense sun. High pressure for long periods seems to result in a stronger sun. High pressure conditions in winter here can result in mild sunburn for some. The burn time that the local radio station used to issue, was 7 minutes at peak values. I avoid sunburn by always wearing white long sleeve shirts a big hat and loads of water while working, although I'm also an easily tanned person. I generally try to avoid swimming during the hottest part of the day, but wear a rash vest if I do.

Here is a picture of the area the day before. I took some to capture the changing autumn light, but looking at it now, it still seems quite bright for about 11.00 am.
Interesting yeah, I would of thought since it is already the end of summer that people would of been tanned enough not to get sunburn anymore.

Just checked the uv index records and a location north of you had one of 7.5(Paraparaumu). Are you at a high elevation then?

http://www.temis.nl/uvradiation/arch...ealand_ENS.dat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Interesting yeah, I would of thought since it is already the end of summer that people would of been tanned enough not to get sunburn anymore.

Just checked the uv index records and a location north of you had one of 7.5(Paraparaumu). Are you at a high elevation then?

http://www.temis.nl/uvradiation/arch...ealand_ENS.dat
No, at sea level. I used Niwas forecast which shows a forecast rather than a record. Was your source from Monday?

Yesterday's UV Index | NIWA

Tans might make sunburn less likely, but tanned people still burn. Friends from Queensland got burnt here in November - much to there surprise.

The fact that it's so late in the summer, does make me wonder if something other than UVI, makes the sun a lot worse on some days. The UVI is said to be 40% higher in NZ than comparable northern hemisphere latitudes during summer, which equates to 15 degrees of latitude - so here would be the roughly the same as 26N during September

Last edited by Joe90; 03-14-2013 at 12:48 PM..

Old 03-14-2013, 03:54 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
No, at sea level. I used Niwas forecast which shows a forecast rather than a record. Was your source from Monday?

Yesterday's UV Index | NIWA

Tans might make sunburn less likely, but tanned people still burn. Friends from Queensland got burnt here in November - much to there surprise.

The fact that it's so late in the summer, does make me wonder if something other than UVI, makes the sun a lot worse on some days. The UVI is said to be 40% higher in NZ than comparable northern hemisphere latitudes during summer, which equates to 15 degrees of latitude - so here would be the roughly the same as 26N during September
Is there ozone depletion in S. Australia like there is in S. South America?

Old 03-14-2013, 04:10 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Paraparaumu UVI records 2000-present show the extreme maximum reading was 14.6.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:24 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,295,629 times
100 F in the shade. I would only do it naked.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:35 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Is there ozone depletion in S. Australia like there is in S. South America?
Not directly over NZ but ozone depleted air can move up from Antarctica.

What is ozone? | Ministry for the Environment

Another factor often overlooked, is that the earth is closest to to the sun during the southern summer.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:18 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,637 times
Interesting. Pretty much the only time I find heat uncomfortable is when I am overdressed for it. So 100 in the shade (naked) for me. Too much info, I know.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 732 times
I live in the desert in Arizona. I know from first-hand experience that 100 degrees in the shade is far cooler than 85 in the sun, regardless of what you are wearing.

I've done some experiments in my back yard in Queen Creek, Arizona. If my thermometer reads 90 degrees in the shade on the patio, moving it to a palm branch in the sun raises the temp reading to between 120 and 132 degrees!

So I'll be in the shade in a wet bathing suit, thank you.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:51 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,043,818 times
Definately 100 F in shorts and t-shirts in the shade

Old 05-04-2017, 06:56 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
If it wasn't for the "suit" I would've chose 85 and sun. Cant believe I chose 100 but if it wasn't low humidity then I'd go for 85. Surprised? Cool poll. Wow at 91% chose 100F
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather