Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 12:42 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
That's because SoCal gets low rainfall, so people would think it's dry and sunny.

I mean, Arica and Lima, which are one of the most driest places on earth (1-13mm of rain), get an embarrassingly low sunshine throughout the year (less than 1700 hours!).

Excuse the sexual reference, but that's like a good looking man with a microscopic penis.
Yawn ... Arica stats you are presumably quoting are simply wrong. The correct average is around 2300 hours. The Wiki inaccuracies keep getting quoted over and over for a variety of places ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 04:46 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,474,729 times
not a myth, 90 % of days yearly its sunny, even this December it has been sunny all month, even temps for the month are around 75 degrees (so far, the rest of December will be above 80 degrees all days), i think we have only had 2 days where it gets cloudy 40% of the day, but other than that this 2 weeks ago, this week and the rest of December has /will be above 80 degrees

(and just to think, December is the month with least amount of sunshine (hours))

Old 12-24-2013, 06:34 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Yawn ... Arica stats you are presumably quoting are simply wrong. The correct average is around 2300 hours. The Wiki inaccuracies keep getting quoted over and over for a variety of places ...
Don't blame me. Because I, like many others in here, base their information on Wikipedia.

Now can you please source YOUR information about Arica's sunshine?

Oh, there are THREE reliable sources under Arica's climate box. But now according to YOU, it's inaccurate?

Last edited by Ethereal; 12-24-2013 at 06:46 PM..

Old 12-24-2013, 08:35 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
I agree, but I also now live in the inland portion of Oceanside (San Diego County) on Camp Pendleton. The weather is more extreme than the coast (hotter summers, cooler winters) but we get more sun (but still more overcast than just a bit inland). If you go too far inland, like Escondido, Woodland Hills, or the Inland Empire area, you will have much cooler winter nights and far hotter summer days. Despite the 'dry heat' thing, it will still be draining in summer and very cool in winter. Being maybe 7 miles away from the coast is good-little bit more extreme weather and a little more sunny weather.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
Palms Springs/Palm Desert is great in California
The OP wants milder weather.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:48 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Don't blame me. Because I, like many others in here, base their information on Wikipedia.

Now can you please source YOUR information about Arica's sunshine?

Oh, there are THREE reliable sources under Arica's climate box. But now according to YOU, it's inaccurate?
I don't care which sources you quote for Wikipedia - things get screwed up in transmission/translation in countless cases, and anyone can change the data - refer to Melbourne's sun history there for an example.

(1) clima

(2) Also supported by calculations done from here:

I extrapolated back from these forms to get some monthly normals using several years of data, and got about the same annual average:

Climat report=

I also found some data from MeteoChile (though I can't find it now).

If you think however I'm going to waste my time tediously counting the myriads of egregious errors in Wikipedia data, think again.

There is a sharp increase in sunshine means as one goes southwards along the coast from Lima to Antofagasta.

Wiki's climate entry for Antofagasta has the correct rainfall mean but incorrect sunshine, while the Arica rainfall mean is not correct either.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
not a myth, 90 % of days yearly its sunny, even this December it has been sunny all month, even temps for the month are around 75 degrees (so far, the rest of December will be above 80 degrees all days), i think we have only had 2 days where it gets cloudy 40% of the day, but other than that this 2 weeks ago, this week and the rest of December has /will be above 80 degrees

(and just to think, December is the month with least amount of sunshine (hours))
Hasn't this December been unusually dry?

Old 12-24-2013, 10:19 PM

This entire year is unusually dry. I believe 2013 is the driest year on record in CA.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
This entire year is unusually dry. I believe 2013 is the driest year on record in CA.
Weather Extremes : California Closes in on Driest Calendar Year on Record | Weather Underground

about 25% of the usual for both San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:08 PM

Big Sur is the wettest part of the state. But the other day on Weather Channel, a ranger from there said they've barely had any rain there and there are now wildfires up in that area. So sad-I was there in summer and last fall, and it was beautiful and green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather