Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best way to judge winter.
Average High 30 78.95%
Average Low 8 21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 11:50 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times

Advertisements

Well I live in a climate that actually gets subzero highs, I would disagree with you. In March and April the low does not make a difference, the snow will still melt if it gets up to 8c.

It might take longer but it will still melt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 11:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post

So it still matters. Some of it will refreeze with a cold low.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:55 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

I'd weight both equally, maybe highs slightly more. If you're out in the early morning, lows matter. And the uncomfortable, hard to deal with cold is typically in the morning so in a sense it matters more. Though a day that doesn't warm up much feels like there's no escape.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:55 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Well I live in a climate that actually gets subzero highs, I would disagree with you. In March and April the low does not make a difference, the snow will still melt if it gets up to 8c.

Well I would think in March and April it's more of a matter of higher sun angle than anything. If you had an 8 C/-8 C day in December or January it probably would melt a similar amount of snow compared to a 4 C/-4 C day.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'd weight both equally, maybe highs slightly more. If you're out in the early morning, lows matter. And the uncomfortable, hard to deal with cold is typically in the morning so in a sense it matters more. Though a day that doesn't warm up much feels like there's no escape.
I guess it's kind of "pick your poison", that's why I look at mean temperatures. A 45/20 day would feel colder for a longer period of time than a day that's 40/30.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Well I would think in March and April it's more of a matter of higher sun angle than anything. If you had an 8 C/-8 C day in December or January it probably would melt a similar amount of snow compared to a 4 C/-4 C day.
Ithaca's climate page is a good source. Check out March 2015:

The Ithaca Climate Page :: Northeast Regional Climate Center

March 10 had a mean temperature of 30°F with a high of 45°F, snowmelt was small. The big snowmelt were all correlated with days at least 4-5°F warmer than freezing. There were no low diurnal range days to compare in March, but December 2014 had some with means near freezing. December 2014 showed a lot of melt with daily means a few degrees above freezing a high of only 36°F. But low diurnal range often means rain or at least drizzle, so there's no way to really compare. Compaction also confuses things.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:15 PM

1,011 posts, read 715,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I look at mean temperatures. The coldest part of the day is usually around sunrise, so many people are awake during that time. Colder mornings with warmer afternoons doesn't mean it's warmer.
The point I'm making is even for the same monthly mean temperature I would prefer the diurnal range to be bigger, with higher highs and lower lows. I prefer warmer days, even if the nights/early mornings are lower.

Does this make sense I hope.

I'll give you an example.

The was Buxton's hi/lo averages for year 2014 on the left.
On the right is the exact same months with exact same average temperatures but a higher diurnal range.

Which is better? In my opinion the one on the right by far. Far more interesting and would be much sunnier.

Neither is ultimately warmer than the other, but the latter would feel warmer because I am only out and about during the day not at night.

The mean temperatures here will tell me nothing about how warm/cold it feels during the day or night.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:20 PM

Ok. Here's February 2012 one of our warmest Februarys on record:

Weather History for Chicopee, MA | Weather Underground

Average 43°F/23°F. Mean 34°F. Sunshine % was around 60%

Here's December 2010 in London, one of their coldest Decembers on record.

Weather History for London, United Kingdom | Weather Underground

Average 38°F/30°F. Mean 34°F. I assume it was very gloomy. I think most would find our Feb 2012 warmer. Note Feb 2012 got near zero snow, London in Dec 2010 was snowy.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoFlan View Post
Neither is ultimately warmer than the other, but the latter would feel warmer because I am only out and about during the day not at night.
Except the low is usually around sunrise, so it's a good indicator of temperatures after sunrise during the day. Depending on your work schedule, if you work indoors you're more likely to be outside in the morning than midday.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoFlan View Post
The point I'm making is even for the same monthly mean temperature I would prefer the diurnal range to be bigger, with higher highs and lower lows. I prefer warmer days, even if the nights/early mornings are lower.

Does this make sense I hope.

I'll give you an example.

The was Buxton's hi/lo averages for year 2014 on the left.
On the right is the exact same months with exact same average temperatures but a higher diurnal range.

Which is better? In my opinion the one on the right by far. Far more interesting and would be much sunnier.

Do you see what I am talking about now? Neither is ultimately warmer than the other, but the latter would feel warmer because I am only out and about during the day not at night.

The mean temperatures here will tell me nothing about how warm/cold it feels during the day or night.
Yes that does make sense I'm not a big fan of low diurnal ranges either. I actually like high diurnal ranges for the opposite reason as you, I do most of my physical exercise and workouts during evenings/nights. It cools off faster on such days and it's more pleasant for me.

I don't like cloudy/drizzly weather too much either. My ideal range is about 15-20 F during winter and 25-30 F in summer.

I would prefer a 45/25 day over a 40/30 day as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather