Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 06:50 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,830,448 times

Advertisements

As it is now, Perihelion (Earth's closest position to the sun in its orbit) occurs when the Northern Hemisphere is in winter and the Southern Hemisphere in summer, and Aphelion (Earth's farthest position from the sun in its orbit) occurs when the Northern Hemisphere is in summer and the Southern Hemisphere is in winter.

Just curious how, if at all, the climate might be different if the two were switched?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 08:57 PM

Or might some regional climates differ if not a planet wide difference?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 PM

777 posts, read 1,062,860 times
The difference between Earth's aphelion and perihelion is very small so I don't think it would have any noticable affect.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:07 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,110,559 times
I Think for one that miami would switch from being a tropical climate to being a subtropical climate because of the cooler winters. also i think that in general the temperate climate band would expand with polar climates retreating in the northern hemisphere

Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
The difference between Earth's aphelion and perihelion is very small so I don't think it would have any noticable affect.
Only a few million miles and I know it doesn't affect earth nearly as much as the axial tilt, but still...

Old 03-30-2013, 03:09 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,880,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
I Think for one that miami would switch from being a tropical climate to being a subtropical climate because of the cooler winters. also i think that in general the temperate climate band would expand with polar climates retreating in the northern hemisphere
This reminds of a very misinformed Facebook post in which someone claimed God was amazing because if Earth was three feet further from the Sun life couldn't exist. I don't even know how to respond to that but the fact is the distance between Earth and Sun varies so little it has no effect on climate.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromant View Post
This reminds of a very misinformed Facebook post in which someone claimed God was amazing because if Earth was three feet further from the Sun life couldn't exist. I don't even know how to respond to that but the fact is the distance between Earth and Sun varies so little it has no effect on climate.
That's kinda funny. But I'm going to disagree with the no difference. The difference between perihelion and apehelion is a 5% increase in the strength of the sun. Of course, the increase in sun strength due to the earth's tilt (from both sun angle and day length — both make a big difference) is many times larger. But 5% more in the middle of summer should do something to the climate. More intense midsummer days, perhaps with greater solar heating a bit stronger of a convective cycle and less stratus clouds. But being closer to the sun makes the earth move faster, so summer is more intense but shorter. The total energy absorbed by changing perihelion and aphelion year around is exactly the same. Since the difference between summer and winter is strongest at high latitudes, the effect would be more obvious. I think in most of the world, it would have little effect. But at high latitudes where summers are cold and snow lingers having more intense sunlight might help melt snow and ice. Might give an extra push to raise a snow line and get rid of Arctic summer sea ice. Nothing that dramatic, but a noticeable shift in high latitude temperature cycles, with a slightly increased temperature range and a slightly different precipitation cycle. Here's a graph I made of the difference for a location at 65°

Old 03-30-2013, 12:15 PM

Nei, just the kind of thing I was curious about! Good post nice graph. Couldn't rep you but tried to.

Shouldn't winter solstice be unequal though?

Old 03-30-2013, 06:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post

Shouldn't winter solstice be unequal though?
No, because at 65° sunlight is almost zero on the winter solstice. The sun just rises above the horizon midday. A small change in the distance from the sun won't make much difference. 5% of zero is zero.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:22 PM

Okay got it. Thanks again for the good post Nei!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather