Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Too crazy or crazy enough to work? Rate it.
A 0 0%
B 2 13.33%
C 5 33.33%
D 3 20.00%
E 2 13.33%
F 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 06:43 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times

Advertisements

This is a unique and perhaps unrealistic climate, but I still think it's interesting. Saguaro Blanco is a site located in the tropics, somewhere near the 10th parallel on an alien planet. The reason it's called Saguaro Blanco, evoking the Sonoran Desert, is because the air most of the day is extremely dry, with humidity typically falling below 1% by afternoon. However, thunderstorms and convective showers pop up on a daily basis, and the combination of saturated air and dynamic cooling from the cold upper levels produces an extreme temperature drop in the evening, typically dropping to near freezing, with most storms changing over to snow. This snow sticks to the ground and after the daily thunderstorm passes through temperatures stay in the 30's and 40's until the following morning, when temperatures resume their daily climb. Due to this warmth the snow on the ground melts by sunrise. The intensity of the daily snow depends on the strength of the downpour, with particularly heavy thunderstorms being known to drop a foot of snow. Most thunderstorms change over to snow eventually but a few per month result in only cold rain. These thunderstorms occur every day of the year against a backdrop of very stable temperatures.

Think of it as a tropical rainforest climate with the rain-cooled air dropping to 32F instead of 75F. This climate is on the sunny side but not extremely so, with 2870 hours of sunshine per year. Annual precipitation amounts to 112 inches, of which 39 inches falls as rain, and the remainder is converted into 570 inches of snow. Snowpack is rarely more than a foot, since snow never persists through the following day - the monstrous figure is due to a few inches per day every day adding up.

The vegetation of this climate would be adapted to the stable temperatures and rainfall but with the added element of daily freezes. These freezes are always light, however, so it shouldn't be much of a challenge for native vegetation. The snowfall that accompanies the freezes should also help to insulate the vegetation.

The Koeppen classification for this climate is Cfb, commonly referred to as an oceanic or subtropical highland climate, though neither description fits this lowland site. The Trewartha classification for this climate is Cr, corresponding to humid subtropical. The Holdridge Life Zone for this climate is a warm temperate wet forest. For once I think Holdridge best describes this climate.

As for my rating, the afternoon temperatures are far too hot and the lack of seasonal variation would really bug me. However, there is a reliable nighttime cooloff and nighttime snowfall, that melts the next day. Having an ephemeral snow every evening really alleviates my antipathy towards the hot afternoons. The extreme dryness during the day would also cut down on how hot it felt. As bizarre as this seems I'll rate this climate a B-, the minus for lack of seasonality and too much sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 06:48 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
F you do manage to come up with the consistently worst climates I must say.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:56 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,889,303 times
A for creativity but C for living in. The nightly snowfall is awesome (with temperatures in the comfort range of 25-30 F rather than -30 F). The daytime warm sun followed by pop up thunderstorms are also awesome. The daytime highs seem like perfect swimming weather. BUT it would be a pain in the ass to wear a thick jacket and gloves each morning and then go down to shorts and a tee and swimsuit in the afternoon. Also how can one swim if the temperature of the water has gone down to below freezing the night before? The water would still be WAY too cold to swim in even if it gets into the 80s every day.

I would prefer the seasons to spread out over the months than in one day. Move the nighttime climate to 3 months of winter and the daytime climate to 3 months of summer and create shoulder seasons and I'd give your climate an A but then again, it wouldn't be as creative.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,295,968 times
Very interesting climate. Firm B. Very interesting how there is 2,870 hours of sun and it rains or snows every single day. 570 inches of snow really bumps the grade up and the violent thundersnow would be exciting in many ways.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:03 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
F you do manage to come up with the consistently worst climates I must say.
Ah, yes. I always manage to sneak in a couple hundred inches of snow no matter what I do .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Also how can one swim if the temperature of the water has gone down to below freezing the night before? The water would still be WAY too cold to swim in even if it gets into the 80s every day.
Well, realistically since it's basically 80's by day followed by above-freezing temperatures most of the night the water temperature would remain above freezing, though it's possible that the heaviest evening accumulations could make it slushy . But yes, water temperatures would probably be in the low 70's at best. However, if the sun strength was stronger than on Earth, the water in the sun might get warmer .

Quote:
I would prefer the seasons to spread out over the months than in one day. Move the nighttime climate to 3 months of winter and the daytime climate to 3 months of summer and create shoulder seasons and I'd give your climate an A but then again, it wouldn't be as creative.
If I did that then it would be much more conventional. This is mostly an exercise in imagination.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:22 PM

777 posts, read 1,062,503 times
F unrealistic

Old 05-01-2013, 09:34 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,108,597 times
A for the imagination F for the climate.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:49 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times
I'd give it a C. It's pretty cool. Like the heat and the snow. I would prefer it in seasonal doses, but daily snow and storms would be awesome.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:23 PM

3,586 posts, read 4,975,599 times
If it was a typical tropical climate it would have been a D+/C-, but the reliable cooloff and daytime dryness makes it a neutral C

Old 07-15-2013, 04:22 PM

623 posts, read 675,462 times
Very interesting, I would love to visit. It would be better if the snow would occasionally stuck around to the daytime or even a few days, to experience 30C temps with snow on the ground. With the extremely low humidity, I imagine in the shade it would feel comfortable, though I've never experienced similar conditions. Whats the wind like?

Rain/snow every day and the lack of seasons are big downsides. I'll give it a C, A for creativity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather