U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2013, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Katy, Texas
1,080 posts, read 1,907,030 times
Reputation: 540

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Ah, I see, thanks for that. Royal Palms do survive in Palm Springs (albeit growing slowly due to the dry weather and chilly winters), but I'm sure that the winters of Nevada and South Carolina would kill them outright.
Palm Springs is actually very warm (average lows in winter are just a few degrees cooler than Orlando or Brownsville). With irrigation, Palm Springs is probably a better place to grow tropical palms than coastal SoCal. Royal palms could probably survive for a while in a sheltered area of Las Vegas too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2013, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,585,885 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Palm Springs is actually very warm (average lows in winter are just a few degrees cooler than Orlando or Brownsville). With irrigation, Palm Springs is probably a better place to grow tropical palms than coastal SoCal. Royal palms could probably survive for a while in a sheltered area of Las Vegas too.
I disagree. Palm Springs is very warm, but also much drier than coastal SoCal, and more prone to freezes/cold snaps. This winter we had cold snaps down in SoCal, but it was a few degrees warmer along the coast than out in the desert around Palm Springs. It's the same as how Phoenix is cooler (slightly) than SoCal's coast during the winter time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2020, 11:41 AM
Status: "Cfa at 1600m and 39ºN" (set 9 days ago)
 
47 posts, read 4,173 times
Reputation: 22
And then, they all died in January 2019. A freak 20cm snowfall and -8ºC temperatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2020, 11:45 AM
 
16,266 posts, read 10,989,199 times
Reputation: 5399
No way not for another 70 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2020, 08:24 AM
BMI
 
Location: Ontario
7,443 posts, read 5,214,208 times
Reputation: 5932
Charleston, SC....no...


I'll be impressed if I see Royal Palms in Jacksonville, Florida..


Someone should plant them in a micro climate there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2020, 01:32 PM
 
16,266 posts, read 10,989,199 times
Reputation: 5399
Sarasota used to be the cut off back when we had real winters. Now they are 40 miles more north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2020, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Katy, Texas
1,080 posts, read 1,907,030 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Charleston, SC....no...


I'll be impressed if I see Royal Palms in Jacksonville, Florida..


Someone should plant them in a micro climate there.
There are 20 year old royal palms growing near the St Johns River in Jacksonville.

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index...f-royal-palms/

But Charleston, not a chance. I could see royals surviving for a while on the islands near the FL/GA border.

As far as the continental US goes, there are also some royal palms growing in extreme southern Louisiana nearly sitting in the Gulf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2020, 11:28 PM
 
Location: Katy, Texas
1,080 posts, read 1,907,030 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Sarasota used to be the cut off back when we had real winters. Now they are 40 miles more north.
There are royal palms in St. Pete that predate the 80s, some of the oldest are nearly a century old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM
 
16,266 posts, read 10,989,199 times
Reputation: 5399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
There are royal palms in St. Pete that predate the 80s, some of the oldest are nearly a century old.
Just like there are full grown coconuts in south St pete. Always much warmer in that area with water on 3 sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
21,950 posts, read 8,557,294 times
Reputation: 7050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
There are 20 year old royal palms growing near the St Johns River in Jacksonville.

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index...f-royal-palms/

But Charleston, not a chance. I could see royals surviving for a while on the islands near the FL/GA border.

As far as the continental US goes, there are also some royal palms growing in extreme southern Louisiana nearly sitting in the Gulf.
We have some royals here in Phoenix, they require more water than other palms though, so that obviously limits there numbers compared to CIDPs or Washingtonias which are suited to the dry weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top