Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate this climate
A 7 53.85%
B 2 15.38%
C 2 15.38%
D 1 7.69%
E 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:55 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,308,561 times

Advertisements

I just posted on another thread and it made me think I should do a poll of the region in which I live - the Mid North Coast of NSW because apparently the CSIRO believes this region has the most livable climate in Australia.

So I will post climate statistics for the two largest towns in this region:

Coffs Harbour climate, averages and extreme weather records

Port Macquarie Ap climate, averages and extreme weather records

The weather is generally pleasant year round (averages 18-27 summer - 7-18 winter) and there is often a pleasant breeze even on warm days. In winter, the sun is often gentle and warm. The region does get high rainfall in summer - flooding does occur in this region (note that Coffs Harbour seems to suffer a lot more from flooding than Port Macquarie even when they have similar rainfalls).

There isn't a great variety in seasons so some might find it boring.

However, one doesn't need to travel far for that as the New England region is renowned for its 4 seasons:

Armidale Ap climate, averages and extreme weather records

Btw if you haven't heard of the mid north coast of NSW, here is a link:

http://www.getaboutaustralia.com.au/...NorthCoast.php

Last edited by susankate; 05-11-2013 at 09:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 09:22 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
The Lower Mid North coast is definitely an A,- eg Forster and even Port, going to a B further north as it gets progressively hotter and more humid - where there is nothing ""gentle"" about the summers - and mandatory ceiling fans and aircon are required.
Just about every place on the NSW North Coast claims that it has the CSIRO's best climate, so that is merely a tourist bluff.
Have a look at this outlandish claim by Yamba (a bit further north than Coffs):

http://www.yambansw.com.au/getting-to-yamba.html

Old 05-12-2013, 12:18 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
The Lower Mid North coast is definitely an A,- eg Forster and even Port, going to a B further north as it gets progressively hotter and more humid - where there is nothing ""gentle"" about the summers - and mandatory ceiling fans and aircon are required.
Just about every place on the NSW North Coast claims that it has the CSIRO's best climate, so that is merely a tourist bluff.
Lol, true. I did note that each town claimed that they personally had the best weather. I will say that I've lived in various places between Sydney and Brisbane and where I live now on the mid north coas probably does have the nicest overall weather I've experienced - not that the weather in the other places I've lived was shabby but there is something about the breeze off the water and just the hint that one isn't far from the subtropics. I like walking everywhere and it is great weather for that.

Quote:
Have a look at this outlandish claim by Yamba (a bit further north than Coffs):

yamba | Yamba Facts
The world, eh. That is a big claim lol. Anyway, perfect climate is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:34 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,887,266 times
C +

Good precip and comfortable but would need cooler winters to upgrade to a B.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
C +

Good precip and comfortable but would need cooler winters to upgrade to a B.
I can understand that. A lot of people do like proper seasons.

I note that someone else put D - could they explain?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:50 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,794,560 times
Port Macquarie is great weather-wise, as is much of that region. A climates, though a bit too oceanic for me in lean and would prefer drier winters.

I think my favorite Australian climate is Atherton:

Atherton, Queensland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-13-2013, 03:42 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Port Macquarie is a touch cooler than optimum for my tastes,
but Coffs is at the lower end of what I consider ideallic.

Both places are gorgeous.
Taller trees and more rain than Newcastle.
Coffs Harbour has banana trees growing on the sides of small mountains!

Neither place gets the dry heat days that Newcastle does and I like dry heat.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Port Macquarie is a touch cooler than optimum for my tastes,
but Coffs is at the lower end of what I consider ideallic.

Both places are gorgeous.
Taller trees and more rain than Newcastle.
Coffs Harbour has banana trees growing on the sides of small mountains!

Neither place gets the dry heat days that Newcastle does and I like dry heat.
It sounds like you are torn between two types of climate - subtropical (north of Coffs) and mediterranean (dry heat).

Both places are indeed gorgeous.

Back to the dry heat, I do think on a sunny late autumn/winter's day, you do get that dry heat with the warmth of the sun - I did live south of Newcastle and even there, there was nothing nicer that sitting in the sun on a warm winter's day in a spot protected from the wind.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Port Macquarie is great weather-wise, as is much of that region. A climates, though a bit too oceanic for me in lean and would prefer drier winters.

I think my favorite Australian climate is Atherton:

Atherton, Queensland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Actually, it is considered temperate where I live (and also where I used to live further south) and, as you can see from the charts listed of the two towns, they have relatively dry winters compared with the summer. It hasn't rained for a while but when it does rain, it pours (like in most subtropical places).

Atherton sounds like it might be like Toowoomba, i.e. cooler weather being up in the mountains.

In regards to temperate climates, it does show how different they can be because NSW north of Sydney is temperate with weather patterns similar to subtropical weather patterns but Melbourne, which is also considered temperate, has weather patterns closer to Mediterranean weather patterns (yes I've lived there too lol).

Last edited by susankate; 05-13-2013 at 08:18 AM..

Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
It is amazing how tropical Coffs looks on streetview compared to say Jacksonville, FL (same latitude). To think that Coffs is the hub of a thriving banana industry, whereas in the US no where in the lower 48 can manage commercial banana prodcution.

The most ideal humid subtropical climates in the world are in Australia, imo.

This climate is an A-. Would be an A+ if summer high temps were in the mid 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather