Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abadan vs Uranium city
Abadan 4 36.36%
Uranium city 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2020, 06:03 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,455,931 times

Advertisements

Uranium City obviously. An epic climate by any standards.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 06:40 PM

5,726 posts, read 3,506,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Uranium City obviously. An epic climate by any standards.
Note that the averages on Wikipedia are 1961-1990. Alas, newer data are not available but it's likely warmed significantly since. For example, winter temperatures have warmed by approximately 2°C since at comparable stations (Fort Smith, Fort Chip).

Unusually high snowfall totals in Uranium City. The November totals might be a result of some lake effect snow but not sure about later in the winter.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:21 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,455,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Note that the averages on Wikipedia are 1961-1990. Alas, newer data are not available but it's likely warmed significantly since. For example, winter temperatures have warmed by approximately 2°C since at comparable stations (Fort Smith, Fort Chip).

Unusually high snowfall totals in Uranium City. The November totals might be a result of some lake effect snow but not sure about later in the winter.

It's not that far from Fort Smith NWT, which is 180km WNW:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_S...st_Territories

That may provide a rough approximation of the modern data.

Edit: Sorry never mind, I noticed that you already mentioned Fort Smith after writing this reply. But yeah the snowfall is indeed strange. Might be due to some sort of specific positioning on the lake, or maybe 61-90 was an anomalously snowy period. I don't know.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:14 AM

88 posts, read 46,987 times
Both are terrible. One has unbearable heat for 6 months of the year, the other has unbearable cold for 6 months of the year. Uranium City's summers with Abadans Winters would be ideal.

If I had to choose one of them, I would choose Uranium City because I would just hibernate for most of the year in a heated house, whereas in Abadan even if you stayed indoors it would still be very hot I would imagine unless they have AC over there.

Also, you can keep adding layers until you are warm enough but in Abadan even if you were naked you would still be too hot.

Both climates are also far too dry as well.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:35 AM

366 posts, read 242,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troms View Post
Is anyone there who could really pick Abadan in any given climate battle? I wouldn't have believed it before reading this thread.
Abadan is very bad but if you compare Abadan with a better place then I will choose that place but if you compare Abadan with a worse place then I will choose Abadan.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:39 AM

366 posts, read 242,777 times
Abadan has tolerable weather for 7 months a year.
Uranium city has tolerable weather for 5 months a year.

So I choose Abadan.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:08 PM

524 posts, read 485,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Abadan. 6 months nocturnal, 6 months diurnal.
The summer average temps look like it's usually still over 35 C for much of the sun-down hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather