Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 06:51 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ok... lets try again......... Peaking at 4-5k feet in North Carolina vs past peak with still colors at 2-3k feet in ADK. 850 miles to the north only 2000 feet elevation difference. That's interesting.

And the mid level temps in North Carolina haven't been that cool.
One of the most pleasing thing, living in the Blue Ridge was the long Fall weather. For the most part ( I lived on the Highlands plateau ) some years no snow for Christmas....then Jan/ Feb. we often got hammered , not uncommon 3 feet of white stuff over night. Down in the valley ( Georgia 6 miles ) it was raining. Very few plows, mostly road graders used to clear mountain roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 06:02 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
One of the most pleasing thing, living in the Blue Ridge was the long Fall weather. For the most part ( I lived on the Highlands plateau ) some years no snow for Christmas....then Jan/ Feb. we often got hammered , not uncommon 3 feet of white stuff over night. Down in the valley ( Georgia 6 miles ) it was raining. Very few plows, mostly road graders used to clear mountain roads.
Yeah, I am liking the higher elevation climate more than some northern Latitude points. Shorter more tame summers and longer Falls is a win win for me.. add some decent snowfalls in winter and its a win, win, win.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:03 AM

How insane is this??? Check out West Virginia yesterday at about 4000' vs CT at 1100'.

Source:

Source:

Old 10-18-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I am liking the higher elevation climate more than some northern Latitude points. Shorter more tame summers and longer Falls is a win win for me.. add some decent snowfalls in winter and its a win, win, win.
Yes , Living among the trees at 4100 ft on a 45 degree slice out of the mtn. was more " almost heaven" than WVA. Nothing like the Blue Ridge and the Smokies.
However there is a negative at 4100 ft. and its catching the winter fronts just right. The outcome were the spikes we experienced, I do remember 25 be low, frozen pipes, and icy mountain roads. I loved the snow,again there were extremes when the convergence was just right and we got 30 inches of heavy white overnight. These spikes and extremes share the same with the Great Plains, at-lest we had the mountains and trees and not the flat plains. ( I grew up in Iowa ) Remembering the " storm of the 100 years" was worse than anything I experienced in the Midwest. 90 mile winds, five to 6 ft of snow, no power for weeks. If you did not have a commercial snow cat you were doomed.....check it out , the entire SE was disabled , many deaths, and misery.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes , Living among the trees at 4100 ft on a 45 degree slice out of the mtn. was more " almost heaven" than WVA. Nothing like the Blue Ridge and the Smokies.
However there is a negative at 4100 ft. and its catching the winter fronts just right. The outcome were the spikes we experienced, I do remember 25 be low, frozen pipes, and icy mountain roads. I loved the snow,again there were extremes when the convergence was just right and we got 30 inches of heavy white overnight. These spikes and extremes share the same with the Great Plains, at-lest we had the mountains and trees and not the flat plains. ( I grew up in Iowa ) Remembering the " storm of the 100 years" was worse than anything I experienced in the Midwest. 90 mile winds, five to 6 ft of snow, no power for weeks. If you did not have a commercial snow cat you were doomed.....check it out , the entire SE was disabled , many deaths, and misery.
Hmmm "darstar"... we may have interacted in the past and I was the same intrigued and amazed at your experience there. Ahhh, the icy mountain roads, that is a nightmare. Do chains work in ice as good as they do in snow? Definitely a different lifestyle up there. In fact I used to watch Mountain Men a lot on history channel and always glued to the lifestyle and mountain weather they faced. It's something I would get accustomed to very quickly and enjoy it.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:52 PM

Here's another comparison...

Green in Massachusetts at 300' vs colors in North Carolina at 5000'+

Source:

Source:

Old 10-18-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Hmmm "darstar"... we may have interacted in the past and I was the same intrigued and amazed at your experience there. Ahhh, the icy mountain roads, that is a nightmare. Do chains work in ice as good as they do in snow? Definitely a different lifestyle up there. In fact I used to watch Mountain Men a lot on history channel and always glued to the lifestyle and mountain weather they faced. It's something I would get accustomed to very quickly and enjoy it.
The custom started around 1900 when resorts were built in the lofty places . People came for the " cure ", thinking the clean mountain air would be good therapy. Same idea in other parts of the country where there were hot springs.........
Locals did not live in these high ridges, they settled in the valleys. If you get a chance rent the movie " Winter People ". It's all about early years, great flick.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:00 PM

4-5k feet in West Virgina see's snow before Burlington Vermont

https://twitter.com/snowshoemtn/stat...79581221720064

Old 10-26-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
4-5k feet in West Virgina see's snow before Burlington Vermont

https://twitter.com/snowshoemtn/stat...79581221720064
Good example...it's all about elevation. ( I grew up in Iowa, known for nasty winters , yet my years in the NC Blueridge Mtns.were much worse)

Old 02-24-2019, 07:12 PM

Grandfather mountain. 111mph gust

https://twitter.com/wxbrad/status/1099841033871998977
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather