Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which biome do you think the following climate is in?
Subtropical forest 0 0%
Deciduous temperate forest 2 16.67%
Mixed deciduous evergreen temperate forest 5 41.67%
Taiga 3 25.00%
Tundra 0 0%
None of the above (please explain) 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:42 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,606,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronan123 View Post
North Atlantic moist mixed forests - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lerwick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:12 PM

659 posts, read 899,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Plenty of converters online.
Exactly.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian High View Post
We have a stereotypical, lazy, spoiled American right here.
This is a U.S. based web site. I'm lazy because I don't want to have to do the conversion? If I'm posting on a web site based in a country that uses the metric system, I will do the conversion to celsius, not expect them to do a conversion for me and call them lazy.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:18 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,930,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowing Mindspin View Post
This is a U.S. based web site. I'm lazy because I don't want to have to do the conversion? If I'm posting on a web site based in a country that uses the metric system, I will do the conversion to celsius, not expect them to do a conversion for me and call them lazy.
English is the de-facto official language of the Internet, airports, embassies, important institutions, etc, not because most servers are U.S-based, but because English is unofficially accepted as a neutral, common language that many people from a wide range of nations and cultures understand. The metric system is no different. It is universally understood, except by a small minority of people, most of whom live in the U.S. The metric system is intuitively easy because it is based on decimals. I'd accept someone not liking a decimal system if they just walked out of a forest in the Amazon

Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,891,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowing Mindspin View Post
let the poster use whatever system they are most familiar with. I only kinda know Celcius as in 32F=0F, 50F=10C, and 20C= room temperature but can kinda figure out a vague conversion using those base numbers. I have used online convertors before rating climates in Celsius when I was unsure. Using a convertor only takes a few seconds- no biggie.

BTW- I think the whole world should convert to KELVIN to end that stupid Farhenheit vs. Celsius debate for once and for all.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
let the poster use whatever system they are most familiar with. I only kinda know Celcius as in 32F=0F, 50F=10C, and 20C= room temperature but can kinda figure out a vague conversion using those base numbers. I have used online convertors before rating climates in Celsius when I was unsure. Using a convertor only takes a few seconds- no biggie.

BTW- I think the whole world should convert to KELVIN to end that stupid Farhenheit vs. Celsius debate for once and for all.
I never heard of it, but I'm looking at it now.

Hey moderators, how about a new rule? Kelvin only

Old 08-12-2013, 08:51 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,930,620 times
Science journals, including those in the U.S, allow only Celsius or Kelvin units for temperature. The really prestigious/pretentious ones allow only Kelvin. That should end the debate once and for all - even American scientists think Fahrenheit is retarded.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:59 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,891,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Science journals, including those in the U.S, allow only Celsius or Kelvin units for temperature. The really prestigious/pretentious ones allow only Kelvin. That should end the debate once and for all - even American scientists think Fahrenheit is retarded.
It's what we Americans grow up; nothing wrong with that. It's like saying someone's retarded because the grow up speaking Chinese or Spanish or German rather than English. I prefer Fahrenheit but if I should move to a country that uses Celsius, I'd use it. Different is NOT retarded. I do speak some Spanish but am not fluent; would you call me retarded when I speak Spanish and make mistakes?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:13 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,296,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post

No, we need Celsius. Mostly only scientists understand Kelvin. Celcius makes more sense, plus most people in the world understand Celsius.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:20 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,521,383 times
Although Celsius is clearly preferred for scientific endeavors, I actually find Fahrenheit is actually more intuitively scaled for human perception of temperature. Whence:

<30F = Very cold
30s F = Cold
40s F = Chilly
50s F = Cool
60s F = Mild
70s F = Comfortable
80s F = Warm
90s F = Hot
>100F = Very hot

It's hard to find such a natural gradation using Celsius, let alone Kelvin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather