Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What temperature range is necessary for a climate to have 4 seasons?
0-5°C 1 3.57%
5-10°C 5 17.86%
10-15°C 6 21.43%
15-20°C 5 17.86%
20-25°C 6 21.43%
greater than 25°C 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
So Brisbane is a 4 season climate, but somewhere like Paris or Warsaw is a 2 season climate? ..... okaaaay.

I don't think much of a difference is needed at all. There is only a 10C/20F seasonal difference here, but obvious differences between seasons.
Uh, Warsaw's climate is humid continental and I said humid continental climates qualify as 4 season climates.

Paris' fall and winter seem to run together and their spring and summer do too. Their summer is not truly "hot" except for short periods and their winter is indistinguisable from their fall.

Brisbane almost qualifies as a tropical monsoonal climate. Cairns, just up the coast does so you're cherry picking a city right on the cusp of the climate transitional zones.

Go out to Warwick a ways from the coast and you'll get a true 4 season climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 09:52 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Yeung View Post
I hate it when people say that. Delhi is a hot steppe, get the facts.
LOL A hot steppe? Don't you mean savannah

Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,456,184 times
I'd say that four season climate is a climate with winter average below freezing and summer highs above 20C.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:48 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Uh, Warsaw's climate is humid continental and I said humid continental climates qualify as 4 season climates.

Paris' fall and winter seem to run together and their spring and summer do too. Their summer is not truly "hot" except for short periods and their winter is indistinguisable from their fall.

Brisbane almost qualifies as a tropical monsoonal climate. Cairns, just up the coast does so you're cherry picking a city right on the cusp of the climate transitional zones.

Go out to Warwick a ways from the coast and you'll get a true 4 season climate.
So Warwick, with it's smaller range than Paris, is more of a 4 season climate? and Brisbane doesn't qualify because it's almost not humid subtropical? - how about Coff's Harbour, firmly Humid subtropical and with a seasonal range of only 10C/20F, is that more of a 4 season climate than Berlin at 19C/38F?

I don't need to Cherry pick, to show the obvious flaws in your argument. I think you are buying into the "season-less Oceanic climate" notion, just a little too readily. I guess you're using Koppen's Humid Subtropical definition, that's sure to mean big inconsistencies.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:03 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
In wet-dry tropical climates, deciduous trees lose their leaves in the dry season. In wet tropical climates they lose them in the fall or spring and then blossom right away.

Any subarctic climate really is a 2 season climate, winter and a spring like summer.
A Med climate is a 2 season climate, summer (dry) and winter (wet).
Marine west coast is a 2 season cliamte similar to a Med but with a longer winter.

Humid subtropical and humid continental are really the only climates with 4 seasons, possibly the colder steppes as well.
Oceanic climates are not two season climates in my opinion certainly not. Seattle, London, Paris, Amsterdam and Christchurch are most definitely four season climates maybe not on par has the lights of Toronto or Warsaw but still a four season climate.

Last edited by P London; 08-13-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Old 08-13-2013, 11:15 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
A 20C mean temp variation between the coldest and the warmest months, with the mean being below 3C during the coldest one, and above 15C in the warmest.
The mean temp must be above 100% of the coldest and -100% of the warmest at least during four months during the year.

I think this formula is quite good.

According to this, Paris has a 3 season climate, while Warsaw has all 4 seasons.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:28 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
I don't think the actual range matters so much. You can have a climate where the summers are 120 and the winters are 60. That's a big range but I wouldn't call it 4 seasons at all. You can also have a climate where summers are 46 and winters are -70. Also not 4 seasons. It's more on what temperatures there are during the months.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:56 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Quote:
Paris' fall and winter seem to run together and their spring and summer do too.
How so, since fall is warmer than spring? Btw, there's no dry season here, so it's not like a mediterranean climate with a longer wet season. In Paris, the wettest months are in late spring/early summer, while late winter/early spring is the driest part of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
A 20C mean temp variation between the coldest and the warmest months, with the mean being below 3C during the coldest one, and above 15C in the warmest.
The mean temp must be above 100% of the coldest and -100% of the warmest at least during four months during the year.

I think this formula is quite good.

According to this, Paris has a 3 season climate, while Warsaw has all 4 seasons.
I agree with this. To me the likes of London, Paris, Brussels, Bordeaux or Lyon have a fall, a spring and a summer (albeit a weak one in the first 3), but not a "real" winter.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,777,471 times
I would say as long as a place has at least a couple weeks of real cold ("real" cold meaning snow and at least a couple days that fail to top freezing) and at least a couple weeks of real heat ("real" heat being some 90F+ dog days) it should qualify as a four-season climate generally speaking.

Though northern Florida might fit this criteria and I definitely wouldn't say it's a true 4 season climate so there are exceptions.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:20 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Around 10-15 C is absolute minimum with a preference for more variation. Places like Delhi or Barrow, Alaskd don't qualify because summer highs are above 20 C and the average winter highs are less than 10 C. Month of subfreezing averages not required though but should go below freezing at night on a regular basis. Washington D.C. and Seattle are both definitely four season climates, even though snow is not consistent in either and the average winter temperature is above freezing every month.
"Winter" nights in Seattle do NOT regularly go below freezing, despite the average lows being so close. I don't consider Seattle to have an actual real winter. Most years it doesn't even snow and when it does it is usually weak. Only every few years do we get something substantial that lasts. Usually we just get awful, terrible cold rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather