Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:32 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,599,650 times

Advertisements

Some people prefer the heat over colder tempatures, while with others it is visa versa. Have any studies been done on who exactly prefers the cold or heat? Are there any differences between races, cultures and ethnicities? What about age, gender or other socio-economic categories? What are your observations? (I do not wish to hear about what each individual in this forum prefers and why) I just would like to hear observations on specific groups, whether or not they are based up by scientific studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 04:40 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,202,781 times
I had Jersey cows and they tolerated being out in the heat grazing much better than Holsteins.

Maybe the same is true for humans--------different breeds have better heat tolerance .

Maybe --?????????????

Old 07-07-2009, 04:44 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,460,069 times
I don't know, but that's a good question.

I'm Caucasion and I hate cold weather. I'm going to say anything below 40 degrees is cold to me. (Unless, of course we're just coming out of winter).

I like hot weather, but not the extreme heat with humidity that are in areas like Fla. I would choose hot summers over having to put up with cold winters.

SO, white here and my preference is hot.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:13 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,202,781 times
same here on both counts

Old 07-07-2009, 09:23 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Some people prefer the heat over colder tempatures, while with others it is visa versa. Have any studies been done on who exactly prefers the cold or heat? Are there any differences between races, cultures and ethnicities? What about age, gender or other socio-economic categories? What are your observations? (I do not wish to hear about what each individual in this forum prefers and why) I just would like to hear observations on specific groups, whether or not they are based up by scientific studies.
Of course there are differences. But nowadays any talk of that nature is considered offensive to both the liberals and conservatives. The libs will call it racist and the conservatives will call it support of evolution.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:23 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,403,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I don't know, but that's a good question.

I'm Caucasion and I hate cold weather. I'm going to say anything below 40 degrees is cold to me. (Unless, of course we're just coming out of winter).

I like hot weather, but not the extreme heat with humidity that are in areas like Fla. I would choose hot summers over having to put up with cold winters.

SO, white here and my preference is hot.
I'm Caucasian too and I love temps below 40, I HATE HATE HATE hot weather My preference is COLD and I am white, so I guess race doesn't mean anything here.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,966,250 times
I'm hispanic/latino and I love the cold weather. BUT, darker skinned people tend to like the hotter weather more because the dark skin protects them better from the sun/heat. While people of fair skin usually like the colder weather more because their skin is good for handling harsh winters and lack of sunshine.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:00 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,069,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I'm Caucasian too and I love temps below 40, I HATE HATE HATE hot weather My preference is COLD and I am white, so I guess race doesn't mean anything here.
I'm also Caucasian and I love the cold temps!! Bring on the singles,teens and the negatives!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I'm hispanic/latino and I love the cold weather. BUT, darker skinned people tend to like the hotter weather more because the dark skin protects them better from the sun/heat. While people of fair skin usually like the colder weather more because their skin is good for handling harsh winters and lack of sunshine.

I like your explanation. I'm of fair skin and my skin is more adapted to handling harsh winters and lack of sunshine than boiling hot summers and no precipitation. In the summer you won't see me out unless it's late or early in the day.This summer has been one of my best summers yet. The temps are a little below normal. We started June with lows in the 30's and started July with highs in the 60's. I've actually worn jeans atleast 10 times this summer!! It's been that cool

Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,821,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
While people of fair skin usually like the colder weather more because their skin is good for handling harsh winters and lack of sunshine.
I'm moderately-fair skinned and MY SKIN SUCKS for handling cold.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,821,504 times
I'm mixed in ethnicity...
But I'm mostly "Northern European" in ancestry, and I look it too; blond and blue-eyed.

Temps?
You've got to be kidding me.
I detest anything that resembles cold
and I love hot summers, even if that means high humidity.

If my appearance matched my temperature preferences,
I'd either be as dark as a Latin person can get,
dark Philipino/Malasian/Indonesian
be black African, or be South Asian. (Indian, Pakistani etc.)

*And sometimes I wish I did look that way, so I could safely handle even more sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather