Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:10 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times

Advertisements

Been going bareback all summer since I was 13 (some 50 years ago)

I feel good when the temps are warm enough to allow me to do so-----(above 60 degrees)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 06:35 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I've never related my liking cold rather than warm to my heritage but could I suppose. I know people older than me keep saying as you get older you'll prefer warm over cold but so far not true.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:36 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
It seems sensible that different races would, on average, find different climates more comfortable. A race of people who evolved to tolerate the heat of Africa are probably going to handle intense heat more effectively than a race which evolved to withstand winters in Siberia. I have fair skin, blond hair, and blue eyes, and I know some of my ancestors came from Ireland, and others perhaps from Norway. I cannot take the heat in the least. It physically effects me and makes me feel tired and sick.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'm mixed with tan skin and I love hot weather. I hate the cold, I remember one night in February it was no lower than 25° and I had to stand outside and within 45 seconds I was shivering it felt unreal, it took at least 5 minutes for me to stop once we were inside.
Um, that sounds like a normal winter day, as felt by many native Torontonians.

Try being outside for 10+ minutes and needing over an hour at 72 F to feel normal again!
Our weather forecasters would call that "a little cold outside" in January.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I am caucasian and hate cold weather. My father and mother were from the Noirtheast too;so doubt its in the genes.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:41 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Um, that sounds like a normal winter day, as felt by many native Torontonians.

Try being outside for 10+ minutes and needing over an hour at 72 F to feel normal again!
Our weather forecasters would call that "a little cold outside" in January.
Ouch 10+ minutes , maybe I'm spoiled because our average high bottoms out at around 40° and the low bottoms out at around 27°. NYC meteorologists classify anything below 20° as "bone chilling" which sounds nasty to me.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 PM

88 posts, read 420,372 times
Skin color varies throughout the world from sunlight. Darker skin helps prevent damage from the sun, while lighter skin allows for more vitamin D from low levels of sun. Europe is very cloudy all winter so people there originally evolved white skin.
Black people generally have higher surface to mass body ratios. It's a slight body shape difference that is more adapted to handle hot weather. Along with lower body fat.
A historian commented that climate differences might be why the northern colonies were abolitionist:
Quote:
"proved to be exceptionally dangerous to immigrants from tropical Africa, who suffered severely from pulmonary infections in New England winters. Black death rates in colonial Massachusetts were twice as high as whites' - a pattern very different from Virginia where mortality rates for the two races were not so far apart, and still more different from South Carolina where white death rates were higher than those of blacks. So high was mortality among African immigrants in New England that race slavery was not viable on a large scale, despite many attempts to introduce it. Slavery was not impossible in this region, but the human and material costs were higher than many wished to pay. A labor system which was fundamentally hostile to the Puritan ethos of New England was kept at bay partly by the climate."
CulturePlaces: Culture and climate

On the other hand, Inuit peoples generally have a more stocky body shape on average - more suited to staying warm in cold climates.

Human evolution: an illustrated ... - Google Books

My personal observations are along the lines of, preference of climate is a very individual thing in developed countries, though generally it seems like most people (all groups) prefer hot climates over cold in the USA, now that AC is common. Most people don't work outdoors any more, and those that do often spend it in air conditioned automobiles. If we all worked outside, maybe climate preferences in the USA would be a lot different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_g...ypic_variation

Last edited by Grenoble_slopes; 07-08-2009 at 11:13 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Ouch 10+ minutes , maybe I'm spoiled because our average high bottoms out at around 40° and the low bottoms out at around 27°. NYC meteorologists classify anything below 20° as "bone chilling" which sounds nasty to me.
REGULAR winter weather is "supposed" to get into your bones a little.
I suppose that's why they don't usually bother with saying "bone chilling" when it's already winter.

This is what "seasonally cold" in January looks like:

-Highs from 12-19 F, (-12 to -8 C)
-Lows from 5-12 F, (-15 to -12 C)
-Windspeeds at least 10 mph. (16+ km/h)
-Lowest windchills of the day ranging from 0 F to -15 F (-18 to -25 C)

*2/3rds of the winter it's too cold to turn snow into a snow ball or snow man.
Most people find our winters excessively-cold; about 90+% of the residents wish it were at least a little milder.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenoble_slopes View Post
Skin color varies throughout the world from sunlight. Darker skin helps prevent damage from the sun, while lighter skin allows for more vitamin D from low levels of sun. Europe is very cloudy all winter so people there originally evolved white skin.
Black people generally have higher surface to mass body ratios. It's a slight body shape difference that is more adapted to handle hot weather. Along with lower body fat.
A historian commented that climate differences might be why the northern colonies were abolitionist:
CulturePlaces: Culture and climate

On the other hand, Inuit peoples generally have a more stocky body shape on average - more suited to staying warm in cold climates.

Human evolution: an illustrated ... - Google Books

My personal observations are along the lines of, preference of climate is a very individual thing in developed countries, though generally it seems like most people (all groups) prefer hot climates over cold in the USA, now that AC is common. Most people don't work outdoors any more, and those that do often spend it in air conditioned automobiles. If we all worked outside, maybe climate preferences in the USA would be a lot different.

Human genetic variation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have a "high surface area to mass ratio"; I'm surprisingly lighter than I appear to most people.
Maybe that has something to do with "liking heat" and "hating cold."

I work outside usually doing a lot of physical work,
but I'd still prefer 76 F to 56 F, 86 F to 46 F, 96 F to 36 F etc...

Old 07-08-2009, 11:37 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
REGULAR winter weather is "supposed" to get into your bones a little.
I suppose that's why they don't usually bother with saying "bone chilling" when it's already winter.

This is what "seasonally cold" in January looks like:

-Highs from 12-19 F, (-12 to -8 C)
-Lows from 5-12 F, (-15 to -12 C)
-Windspeeds at least 10 mph. (16+ km/h)
-Lowest windchills of the day ranging from 0 F to -15 F (-18 to -25 C)

*2/3rds of the winter it's too cold to turn snow into a snow ball or snow man.
Most people find our winters excessively-cold; about 90+% of the residents wish it were at least a little milder.
That kind of cold happens very rarely in my area, winter 2007-2008's lowest temperature was only 15°, this winter's was 7°, we almost never have highs in the teens, that's brutally cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather