Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think climate of the Scilly Isles can support commercial citrus production?
Yes! I can't wait to bite into a juicy lemon grown fresh in the UK! 1 3.85%
No way! Climate not suitable 22 84.62%
Really have no idea 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 11:16 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Lemons and kumquats...yes. Oranges, limes, grapefruits...no.

Based on what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 11:16 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Suburban London is full of peach, apricot, cherry and almond trees. Plums, damsons also grow easily in most of the UK, and strawberries, gooseberries, blackberries and currants grow like weeds. Grapes and passionfruit can also be grown.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:18 AM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Based on what?
Meyer lemons and kumquats can grow in southern England, I'm sure they can grow in Scilly.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Meyer lemons and kumquats can grow in southern England, I'm sure they can grow in Scilly.

Commercial production is a far cry from someone providing near perfect conditions in the sunniest, warmest part of their yard.

If they were commercially viable, I would think it would have been tried already.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Suburban London is full of peach, apricot and almond trees. Plums, damsons also grow easily in most of the UK, and strawberries, gooseberries, blackberries and currants grow like weeds. Grapes and passionfruit can also be grown.

Yeah, they grow them in perfect microclimates in their yards. UK has no apricot production grown commercially.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:23 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Interesting answers everyone. I didn't know the UK had little commercial fruit production let alone lemons. It seems that the Okanagan Valley here in BC at 49N even if it can't grow citrus, grows many more varieties of fruit commercially compared to the UK including stone fruit like peaches and apricots.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:28 AM
B87

There are apricot and almond orchards in Kent and Dorset. All of those fruits listed will grow in SE England. I don't know why they aren't grown on a larger scale. I've eaten peaches from a tree in someone's back garden, they tasted the same as the ones in the supermarket.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Interesting answers everyone. I didn't know the UK had little commercial fruit production let alone lemons. It seems that the Okanagan Valley here in BC at 49N even if it can't grow citrus, grows many more varieties of fruit commercially compared to the UK including stone fruit like peaches and apricots.

I think it is a combination of sunshine and temperatures. How sunny and warm is the Okanagan Valley?

Fruit Growing in the UK Market Research | IBISWorld

The UK grows strawberries and rasberries, apples pears, plums and cherries commercially.

The fruit growing industry in the UK produces 10% of the fruit consumed in the UK. 90% imported.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:41 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
There are apricot and almond orchards in Kent and Dorset. All of those fruits listed will grow in SE England. I don't know why they aren't grown on a larger scale. I've eaten peaches from a tree in someone's back garden, they tasted the same as the ones in the supermarket.
To be commercially viable, a grower has to get a return on investment. One bad year in 2 or 3, is going to drag things down quickly.

Also UK growers would be competing against countries like France, and would need to charge a premium price, to compensate for tougher growing conditions, or else somehow manage to produce cheaper, but still quality fruit in a less suitable climate.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:44 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,456,184 times
Almond trees (in Ukraine, they grow only in Crimea) and passion fruits don't grow here. Grapes can grow almost anywhere in Ukraine, but for commercial production they grow only in Crimea. Don't know exactly do peaches grow here, but near Zaporizhia they can grow in gardens. Apricots easily tolerate winters here and there plenty on apricot trees in Kharkiv. Apples and pears grow here really well. Also, there are walnuts, plums and cherries grown in my city. Quinces can grow here as well. Not bad for a city which have colder winters then almost anywhere (except some mountain areas) in UK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather