Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Yuor Rating
A 2 11.76%
B 4 23.53%
C 1 5.88%
D 2 11.76%
E 4 23.53%
F 2 11.76%
Z 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 01:22 PM

735 posts, read 654,385 times

Advertisements

Mt. Jackson is a small town of about 1,000 people in the Powder Mountains. It is on an alien planet on a landmass of similar size to North America. It is known for its world-class skiing and extremely high annual snowfall, which is caused by orthographic lift creating high precipitation. To the west is a vast plain that stretches almost all of the way to the ocean. There is a mountain range on the western ocean that blocks its effects, allowing the snow to be very light and powdery. The town is situated in the most northwestern part of the mountain range, which is also one of the factors that increases precipitation, as westerly and northerly storms hit the town at full force.

Winter snowfalls can be so extreme that residents can be snowbound for days, and the roads are forced to close. The road to the town is usually clear enough to drive to the town, however, thanks to advanced snow removing technology. If the road is closed, locals have the opportunity to enjoy the skiing all by themselves.

Despite the huge snowfalls, the summers are still warm enough to support trees. They can grow 2,000 feet above the town before it becomes too cold.
http://postimg.org/image/pr6q4l0bb/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 04:37 PM

504 posts, read 778,440 times
winter temps are very good (though record would have been helpful), but certainly too long... The start in October is pretty cool, but I'd prefer May to be much warmer and also April should at least have an avg high above 0C. Summer highs are very good, lows are too cold. Snowfall is of course great, but definetely a bit too sick. even for me... All in all a B since it's not really liveable due to the tons of snow..

Old 10-22-2013, 10:35 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,982 times
F...winters WAY too snowy and too cold. Summers are too weak. But not a Z cuz it's livable.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:38 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times
Z-

Old 10-22-2013, 11:32 PM

688 posts, read 841,476 times
F-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 10-22-2013, 11:36 PM

623 posts, read 674,831 times
D. Winters far too long and snowy, summer not warm enough. Such a high amount of light powder would be interesting. When do you think the snow melts off? There is an insane amount of it but it is quite dry which helps. Early July?

Nowhere real-life to compare it to, closest place I can find to it is Wolf Creek Pass, Colorado, though it "only" gets 435 inches and it is too warm. Climax, and Mt Evans Research Station have more similar temperatures but are drier and less snowy, Mt Evans has the closest match to the precipitation pattern.Rainier Paradise Ranger Station might get similar snowdepths, not quite as much snow but much wetter snow. It usually melts off in July there, can last until August, or late August in 1974.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:46 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,971,104 times
B. Winters are too snowy and cold, summers have snow which is not good.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:30 AM

735 posts, read 654,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch41 View Post
D. Winters far too long and snowy, summer not warm enough. Such a high amount of light powder would be interesting. When do you think the snow melts off? There is an insane amount of it but it is quite dry which helps. Early July?

Nowhere real-life to compare it to, closest place I can find to it is Wolf Creek Pass, Colorado, though it "only" gets 435 inches and it is too warm. Climax, and Mt Evans Research Station have more similar temperatures but are drier and less snowy, Mt Evans has the closest match to the precipitation pattern.Rainier Paradise Ranger Station might get similar snowdepths, not quite as much snow but much wetter snow. It usually melts off in July there, can last until August, or late August in 1974.
ALTA, UTAH - Climate Summary
Alta, Utah has similar precipitation, but is warmer and doesn't get as much snow. I'm thinking somewhere high in the the mountains of Utah or Idaho could get similar temperatures and snowfall to this place.

And I didn't know dry powder melts faster than wet snow. :O
Either way I would imagine it lasts until late July as the winters are so long and cold. And I also purposely gave it a nice big boost in snowfall for April and made the warmer months have little precipitation so the snow can last as long as possible.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:56 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,359,236 times
A, love it. I wish core winter (Dec-Feb) was a bit colder but it makes up for that with a looooong winter. Good amount of snow too (maybe bordering on too much, I prefer 200-400 inches which is still a bunch).

Old 10-23-2013, 11:48 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
D for me. I'm not into snowy cold climates.

Sounds like a great climate for some quality skiing though. I've just endured the worst season here, for a number of years, so could do with some decent powder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather