Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 03:16 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I wonder if that French site has hourly data for Heathrow on August 10th?
Infoclimat does. Apparently, the maximum humidex ("biométéo" column) was 38C, the heat index being lower. The dew point was moderate to highish, but dropped like a rock around the time of peak heat:
Relevés météo archivés du dimanche 10 août 2003 à Londres - Royaume-Uni | archived weather records in Londres - Infoclimat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 03:30 PM

29,533 posts, read 19,620,154 times
^^
Confirms my suspicion. Heat waves that effect most of Europe tend to be the dry variety. Which on the one hand would seldom produce any significant heat indecies, but on the other, drier air masses allows for higher temperatures. This is why when our heat hear originates in the Great Plains or the desert southwest we can hit 100's, but if our heat comes from the Gulf of Mexico and the Deep South, it's usually low 90's but with high heat indecies

Old 11-30-2014, 04:21 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,950 times
Quote:
^^
Confirms my suspicion. Heat waves that effect most of Europe tend to be the dry variety. Which on the one hand would seldom produce any significant heat indecies, but on the other, drier air masses allows for higher temperatures. This is why when our heat hear originates in the Great Plains or the desert southwest we can hit 100's, but if our heat comes from the Gulf of Mexico and the Deep South, it's usually low 90's but with high heat indecies
OK, it was a dry 15% in London on the 10th August 2003, I was wrong in that sense... That surprises me because the northern parts of England and Scotland had thunderstorms and places like London (though not the south coast) had high cloud in the afternoon, so I would have thought that humidity would be, at minimum, 35% or something...

Also you say that Heatwaves that effect most of Europe tend to be the dry variety. While that maybe correct for the 2003 heatwave, that may not be the same for other heatwaves. Can't be bothered to look now, but has anyone found humidity for other major heatwaves in the UK such as the 2006 heatwave, the 1990 heatwave, 1976 heatwave, and if humidity record go this far - the 1911 heatwave?
All I'm saying is that you can't say heatwaves in Europe are dry just on the accounts of the 2003 one, you need to look at other ones such as the major ones, or also the minor, less remembered heatwaves such as the one we had in July 2013...

Old 11-30-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
OK, it was a dry 15% in London on the 10th August 2003, I was wrong in that sense... That surprises me because the northern parts of England and Scotland had thunderstorms and places like London (though not the south coast) had high cloud in the afternoon, so I would have thought that humidity would be, at minimum, 35% or something...

Also you say that Heatwaves that effect most of Europe tend to be the dry variety. While that maybe correct for the 2003 heatwave, that may not be the same for other heatwaves. Can't be bothered to look now, but has anyone found humidity for other major heatwaves in the UK such as the 2006 heatwave, the 1990 heatwave, 1976 heatwave, and if humidity record go this far - the 1911 heatwave?
All I'm saying is that you can't say heatwaves in Europe are dry just on the accounts of the 2003 one, you need to look at other ones such as the major ones, or also the minor, less remembered heatwaves such as the one we had in July 2013...

Where would the source of the high dew points come from?

Checked July 2006. I looked at the 27th because the air temp reached 30C and you had showers/thunderstorms so maybe there would have been higher dew points on that day, as temps were not high, so from my experience, when temps are near 30C dew points can continue to remain quite elevated.... However, according to wunderground, you had 15C dew point with 40% RH at peak heat hour. No heat index is produced.

Weather History for London, United Kingdom | Weather Underground

Check the 25th of that month. High was 33C, at that hour DP was 14C, with a 33% RH. No heat index produced.
Weather History for London, United Kingdom | Weather Underground

I highly doubt I would find any "significant" heat indecies in any of London's (or Northern Europe in general), heat waves. Latitude, and geography isn't conducive to that type of heat. I mean why would it? Even in the Mediterranean, high dew points really only hug the coast lines, and air masses dry out as you move inland.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:51 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
Hmm I am not sure, I think heat waves here are usually dry, but not extremely dry.

1 August 2013, 34.1C, max humidex 37.7C

[url=http://www.infoclimat.fr/observations-meteo/archives/1er/aout/2013/londres/03772.html]Relevés météo archivés du jeudi 1er août 2013 à Londres - Royaume-Uni | archived weather records in Londres - Infoclimat[/url]

I can't find any humidex readings above 38C from major heatwaves such as 1995, 2003, 2006. Although when we get 32C or 33C it tends to be more humid.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Hmm I am not sure, I think heat waves here are usually dry, but not extremely dry.

1 August 2013, 34.1C, max humidex 37.7C

Relevés météo archivés du jeudi 1er août 2013 à Londres - Royaume-Uni | archived weather records in Londres - Infoclimat

I can't find any humidex readings above 38C from major heatwaves such as 1995, 2003, 2006. Although when we get 32C or 33C it tends to be more humid.

The humidex is a joke. It way over inflates "real feel" temps.

From your example Aug 1st 2013, an air temp of 34C with a RH of 32% does not produce a heat index.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:02 PM

I don't like humidex either, it seems to be a Canadian thing mostly. It is never used over here, only wind chill is used.

That day last year that hit 34C definitely did not feel dry, though.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I don't like humidex either, it seems to be a Canadian thing mostly. It is never used over here, only wind chill is used.

That day last year that hit 34C definitely did not feel dry, though.
Check out the difference. June 30th 2014 at MDW. Red outlined figure on the right is the heat index. Now look at what the humidex calculation is.... Really? Felt like 42C? 6C higher than the heat index?

Old 11-30-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Check out the difference. June 30th 2014 at MDW. Red outlined figure on the right is the heat index. Now look at what the humidex calculation is.... Really? Felt like 42C? 6C higher than the heat index?

Yeah seems to overdo it way too much. Interesting how places like Winnipeg have record humidex readings in the high 40s, wonder how they get all their humidity, seeing as they are much further away from the gulf coast than we are from the Mediterranean

Old 11-30-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah seems to overdo it way too much. Interesting how places like Winnipeg have record humidex readings in the high 40s, wonder how they get all their humidity, seeing as they are much further away from the gulf coast than we are from the Mediterranean
The geography is flat here. Air masses can travel easier over flat terrain than say hot air masses that get blocked by mountainous terrain in Europe. Plus the hot air coming from the Mediterranean isn't humid. It's North African desert origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather