Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate is better for you?
London 35 79.55%
Vostok Station 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 04:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Are there some season snowfall statistics for London? I'm curious about that
Which location gets more snow?

Vostok gets 20 cm assuming 1:10 precipitation to snow ratio, 60 cm assuming at 1:30 ratio. I guess London gets less:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
The Met Office don't have average snow amounts, just days with snow falling/lying. London gets around 4 days per year with snow falling (and 12 days with sleet), probably around 3-5cm per year on average.
Seattle averages 6 cm / year. I doubt London could be much snowier than Seattle.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:16 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,888,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian High View Post
You better not have expected me to vote for Vostok.
Didn't think of you at all when I created the poll. I just wanted to create a climate battle where London gets an overwhelming victory. But you made me wonder if you-know-who will vote for Vostok because London doesn't get a "proper" winter. London is actually VERY similar to the climate you currently reside in, temperature wise and also in total precipitation totals and gloominess. The only difference is London's rain and cloud cover are more evenly spread throughout the year while your Seattle has wetter and gloomier winters and drier and sunnier summers. They both get the same amount of snow though.

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 11-13-2013 at 06:41 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 06:33 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Seattle averages 6 cm / year.
Didn't realize that. Why does even Vancouver Intl get more than 6 times more snow than SeaTac? And downtown 8 times? Vancouver is cooler and rainier, but not much.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Didn't realize that. Why does even Vancouver Intl get more than 6 times more snow than SeaTac? And downtown 8 times? Vancouver is cooler and rainier, but not much.
Because I mixed up cm with inches. Should be 5 inches / year so about 13 cm / year. For some reason the official Seattle station stopped recording snow for much of the last decade, making recent averages unreliable. Here's a nearby station:

Monthly Total Snowfall, KENT, WASHINGTON

Recent winters have been nearly snowless.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Didn't think of you at all when I created the poll. I just wanted to create a climate battle where London gets an overwhelming victory. But you made me wonder if you-know-who will vote for Vostok because London doesn't get a "proper" winter. London is actually VERY similar to the climate you currently reside in, temperature wise and also in total precipitation totals and gloominess. The only difference is London's rain and cloud cover are more evenly spread throughout the year while your Seattle has wetter and gloomier winters and drier and sunnier summers. They both get the same amount of snow though.
Seattle's actually somewhat sunnier overall (15-20% more?)

Old 11-13-2013, 07:44 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
This is quite a difficult choice. On one hand Vostok has a lot more snow, cold, and winter weather that I like, but London has the seasonality I like and has by far the better summers. On the other hand, Vostok is way too cold for my preference and London has pathetic and depressing winters with little snowfall or snowpack. Both rate as essentially the same C or D class climate on my rating scale. The advantages and disadvantages seem equally matched in this battle, so I cannot make a genuine decision.

However, I do not like to pass the buck on tough decisions or leave boxes unchecked after I leave a comment. My tiebreaker rule is to vote for the climate that has the better winter environment for me, and that would be Vostok Station. However, this is a decision for voting only, not a genuine heartfelt decision one way or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Didn't think of you at all when I created the poll. I just wanted to create a climate battle where London gets an overwhelming victory. But you made me wonder if you-know-who will vote for Vostok because London doesn't get a "proper" winter.
I'm pretty sure of the identity of "you-know-who", namely me. My vote goes to Vostok, but it's truly a tie between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
In addition to the extremely terrible temperatures, other factors make London one of the most difficult places on Earth for human habitation:

Acclimatization to such conditions can take from a week to two months and is accompanied by headaches, eye twitches, ear pains, nose bleeds, perceived suffocation, sudden rises in blood pressure, loss of sleep, reduced appetite, vomiting, joint and muscle pain, arthritis, and weight loss of 3–5 kg (7–11 lb) (sometimes as high as 12 kg (26 lb)).
Meh. That's temporary - from what I hear once you're acclimatized it's not that bad, kind of like living at really high altitude.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:48 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Seattle averages 6 cm / year. I doubt London could be much snowier than Seattle.
Seattle is easily snowier than London. It gets about 3 times as much.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Seattle is easily snowier than London. It gets about 3 times as much.
why would you think so?

Old 11-13-2013, 07:54 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
You just said it gets about 13cm a year. Seattle is also much wetter than London in winter, and gets colder.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:00 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
Vostok clearly. I went to London in February and April and it was snowing both times. I think I'd see less snow in Vostok with that low precipitation rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather