Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 10:57 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times

Advertisements

eek North 42 wow. At least you have hottie Mike Holmes to stalk up there

after growing up in SoFl and being up here since 1991 I can only say that I am sick of it and we are moving to the Ocala area. Bring it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 02:13 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Shhh humid is an offensive word in Kentucky. If it's 85 feels like 92 they'll spend a solid 5 minutes on the news talking about how sticky and muggy it is and you should limit your time outside until there is relief.

Of course, these are the same people that recently called upper 30s a "cool morning".

Old 11-14-2013, 04:51 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
The thing is, weather aint what it used to be. Decades ago, the only unbearable month in the Philly area used to be August. Now, it's anywhere from May through October that can have unrelenting humidity, and the mosquitoes that go with it!

Old 11-14-2013, 04:53 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
It's not as consistent as South Florida, but we get enough "real humidity" to know what it is. Give me a break.
Why do people from Florida (except alex) seem to have the need to brag about their state's climate? Maybe it works for the rest of you guys, but for those of us that are several degrees latitude south of Key West, we have to laugh lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Overcast View Post
This is like people in Melbourne and Sydney complaining about humidity. Those in Queensland and the Northern Territory (and especially along the coast of NW Western Australia, e.g. Broome, Port Hedland, karratha etc - this region is the hottest and most humid in Australia) would be laughing like hyenas.

Unfortunately, as someone who has never lived in a genuine hot summer climate, I do sometimes find daytime conditions hot and humid that would be an average overnight low in Far North Queensland, the Top End of Northern Territory and along the NW coast of Western Australia.
Yeah I'd adapt very quickly to Cairns and Darwin conditions. Even though I spent a lot of my life up here so far, my body still "remembers" how to function with heat indices over 100°F for half of the year with the sun a 1/4 mile away from the surface. Like I said before, Puerto Rico makes THK's location a subarctic climate in comparison . Hell, even north of Cairns summer nights are colder than in PR. 19°C lows even in Weipa City compared to 24°C in lowland PR. You need to go to Port Moresby to get as warm nights in Oceania

Old 11-14-2013, 07:21 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
I don't brag about the weather here because there really isn't anything to brag out except for summer thunderstorms but even there we still lose because the Midwest gets better storms than us. The weather in South FL is so uninteresting that people brag about it to make themselves feel better. But honestly, 80% of people don't give a **** that's it's 80 F and sunny in December in Miami.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:23 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I don't brag about the weather here because there really isn't anything to brag out except for summer thunderstorms but even there we still lose because the Midwest gets better storms than us. The weather in South FL is so uninteresting that people brag about it to make themselves feel better. But honestly, 80% of people don't give a **** that's it's 80 F and sunny in December in Miami.
I guess so, lol. The rest of the country, like where I live, can get equal chances of 0°F weather and 55°F in the middle of winter. Has happened here before. When we don't get cold fronts coming down here from Canada, our temps steadily start to go up. It's those Arctic fronts that drag the temps down up here. Otherwise, I think our temps wouldn't be too dissimilar to somewhere like Valencia, Spain

Old 11-14-2013, 07:29 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Yeah but it still averages out to mean temps around freezing, so I don't think the Arctic air masses make your climate any colder than it should be (they get balanced out by warm/hot air masses). I think if we were to have a consistent "Zonal Flow" over the winter (meaning no arctic outbreaks) we would just get long periods of "average" weather (in your area probably highs around 40 F, lows around 20-25 F).

Old 11-14-2013, 08:15 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
I am from MI and lived in South FL. I also have lived in CA. In MI never in 30 years felt a summer day near as humid as South FL. I am a person who is always cold but FL weather is so horrible. I always felt sweaty and sticky. Even inside you can feel the humidity. The winters are nice but 7 months of humidity and heat takes a toll since it is so long. In CA even when it was 100 because it lacked humidity it never felt as bad.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:32 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Yes, northerners complain about heat/humidity that would faze few southerners. On the other hand, the occasional frost, ice, snow and cold winter days in the South that are still usually considerably above zero would faze few northerners, but southerners complain about those.
Yes, this. If the OP is allowed to start a thread just to bash northerners complaining about humid, can we start a thread to bash southerners that complain about cold temperatures when it's in the 40s or 50s?

Old 11-15-2013, 06:59 AM

261 posts, read 1,350,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Shhh humid is an offensive word in Kentucky. If it's 85 feels like 92 they'll spend a solid 5 minutes on the news talking about how sticky and muggy it is and you should limit your time outside until there is relief.

Of course, these are the same people that recently called upper 30s a "cool morning".
What is the upper 30's if not a cool morning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather