Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following 4 cities would you choose to spend Christmas in if all expenses were paid for
London 18 19.78%
Chicago 33 36.26%
Honolulu 29 31.87%
Los Angeles 11 12.09%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:13 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,894,740 times

Advertisements

If you won an all expense paid for trip over the week of Christmas (let's be unrealistic and say you could take as many family members with you as want and their expenses would be paid for as well), which of the following four cities would you pick?

Don't just vote strictly based on climate although you can take it into consideration..

London- most likely a chilly and damp Christmas with a small but not trivial chance of a white one.
Chicago- good chance of a White Christmas...and almost guaranteed at least one day of snowfall during the week.
Honolulu- guaranteed warm Christmas with swimming/beach weather
Los Angeles- good chance of mild to warm weather for most of the week and maybe one or two coolish to mild days of rain. Small chance of rain every day. Also a small, but not trivial chance of true "Honolulu-like" warm beach days (although both the water temperature and the night air temperatures will definitely be a lot colder even with Honolulu-like daytime highs).

Think of the tourist attractions you'd like to do during Christmas week during these cities as well.

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 11-14-2013 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 08:19 PM

I'd choose London hands down cuz it's the furthest away from me and I'd love to see England for my first trip outside of the U.S. I'd want to see all tourist attractions in London and listen to the adorable British accents all over the place and then also see the countryside as well.

Damp and chilly rainy weather? That's what raincoats are for..

Chicago? I've never been there before and WOULD like to experience a white Christmas for a change so that's my second choice..

Honolulu? Been there and loved it...would be willing to go again as a third choice. Since I can't get a White Christmas in my hometown, I might as well go for an 80 degree one (which also doesn't happen in my hometown).

Los Angeles? Been there too many times to count and have lots of extended family there, have spent a few Christmases there. It's not even a novelty for me.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:22 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,243,016 times
Well solely based on climate, I would have to go with Chicago. Best chance of cold and snow.

But if someone was willing to pay, I wouldn't want to turn down the opportunity to visit London. I think it would be much more memorable than Chicago.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:23 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,383,440 times
Chicago easily, best chance of a White Christmas and best weather by far. London a distant 2nd and Los Angeles a distant 3rd.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:25 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,383,440 times
^^ Strictly weather-wise, btw. I would love to visit London as well. Would be more interesting, and I've already been to Chicago 5 times.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,468,553 times
Based on December averages Los Angeles looks the best. I appreciate a chill in the air for Christmas.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,729,436 times
Honolulu easily for me Been there before and loved it! I'd love to spend Xmas day just lying on the beach in 80 degree weather and listening to Xmas carols like "I'm dreaming of a white Xmas" LOL

LA would be my second choice... mild to warm and I could go to Disneyland on Xmas day! YAY!! (provided it's open) and Mickey Mouse and friends

London would be 3rd. It's fairly chilly and damp but lots of museums and attractions there

Chicago would be dead last.. depressing and most likely snowcovered... YUCK!

Old 11-14-2013, 08:46 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,510,675 times
Chicago, even though it could be a little too cold.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post

LA would be my second choice... mild to warm and I could go to Disneyland on Xmas day! YAY!! (provided it's open) and Mickey Mouse and friends
DL is open 365 days a year. I've been there during Christmas week and I hope you enjoy waiting in LOOOOONG lines .

Old 11-14-2013, 08:49 PM

414 posts, read 799,222 times
Interesting there's not a Southern Hemisphere option there, Full Overcast's beloved "Perrrrrrrrfffffffffffffff" would best even Honolulu's Christmas weather for sun and warmth.

But for me, it's Chi-town/The Windy City, the best chance of a White Christmas out of that lot, but still not ideal. Northern Maine, Montreal or Thunder Bay would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather