Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 07:24 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,887,808 times

Advertisements

Which of the following Christmas Day high temperatures would make biggest major headlines for their locations? All are possible so rank from most newsworthy to least newsworthy...

A) A high of 50 F in Fargo, ND
B) A high of 60 F in Chicago, IL
C) A high of 70 F in New York City, NY
D) A high of 80 F in San Jose, CA
E) A high of 90 F in Los Angeles, CA (downtown weather station)
F) A high of 90 F in Miami, FL
G) A high of 110 F in Sydney, Australia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:28 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
A high of 70 F in NYC. We will reach 67 F with partial sunshine and thunderstorms this Sunday. Its also right after my finals finish. I am either heading to the shore after a Brazilian wax for sunbathing or to the NW NJ skylands to enjoy hiking.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
A high of 70 F in NYC. We will reach 67 F with partial sunshine and thunderstorms this Sunday. Its also right after my finals finish. I am either heading to the shore after a Brazilian wax for sunbathing or to the NW NJ skylands to enjoy hiking.
I would get out and enjoy the "warm" day as well but NO in Kentucky we're supposed to get over an inch of rain Sunday. Then predictably, the second it clears up it will drop into the ****ing 30s again.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
I would get out and enjoy the "warm" day as well but NO in Kentucky we're supposed to get over an inch of rain Sunday. Then predictably, the second it clears up it will drop into the ****ing 30s again.
When are you going back to "beautiful Florida" for winter break. Don't you enjoy warm water and sunshine.

Living near the Jersey shore has its advantages IMO.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:20 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Definitely NOT G.

Highs over 104F occur every summer in Sydney (it's gonna be 110F degrees here in the west in a couple of days) - so it wouldn't be 'news'. But then again, our media is so sensitive - they make news out of everything. So it may be a headline, but NOT a major headline.

I'd put Hobart, TAS for your G option. A high of 110F will definitely be a major headline there.

PS. Hope Americans would use Celsius more often in these boards. We always use Fahrenheit for youse

Last edited by Ethereal; 12-18-2013 at 09:37 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 10:16 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post

PS. Hope Americans would use Celsius more often in these boards. We always use Fahrenheit for youse
'Murica is the best and everyone else is stupid.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:37 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
When are you going back to "beautiful Florida" for winter break. Don't you enjoy warm water and sunshine.

Living near the Jersey shore has its advantages IMO.
Yeah I'm going in January. My job requires me to stay here through Christmas.

It's been above average lately so perhaps I can experience 80 F

Old 12-19-2013, 03:43 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,887,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Definitely NOT G.

Highs over 104F occur every summer in Sydney (it's gonna be 110F degrees here in the west in a couple of days) - so it wouldn't be 'news'. But then again, our media is so sensitive - they make news out of everything. So it may be a headline, but NOT a major headline.

I'd put Hobart, TAS for your G option. A high of 110F will definitely be a major headline there.

Wikipedia lists a record high of 108 F for Sydney in the month of December- Sydney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ; I only picked it cuz I wanted to have a city in the Southern Hemisphere in my poll and Sydney is the best known Southern Hemisphere large city. When I looked it the current record, I choose 110 F based on the fact that it's slightly above the current record for December and thought that alone would make it "newsworthy". All of the scenarios are totally possible without even being outlandish like some of my other "which is more likely?" polls.

As for the Celsius vs. Fahrenheit debate, ppl should just use the unit of measurement they are more comfortable with and the others on the forum have to use the online convertors if they need to. I say the exact same thing to Americans who demand that non-Americans list everything in Fahrenheit just for them. I'd be fine with someone using Kelvin, Rankine, or Réaumur if they stated the scale they were using- converting takes less than 2 seconds. It's google the term "metric convertor", type in the number, and click. Although I think I've reached the point I can convert to Celsius without using a convertor.

Here's my attempt to guess the conversions without using a convertor or doing calculations:

A) High of 10 C in Fargo
B) High of 16 C in Chicago
C) High of 21 C in NYC
D) High of 27 C in San Jose
E) High of 32 C in LA
F) High of 32 C in Miami
G) High of 44 C in Sydney

Old 12-19-2013, 09:21 PM

529 posts, read 556,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
I only picked it cuz I wanted to have a city in the Southern Hemisphere in my poll and Sydney is the best known Southern Hemisphere large city.
Sydney "best known city" by whom?
Is it better known than Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro or Cape Town for instance?
What the hell is "best known" supposed to mean?

Such statements, totally meaningless and yet presented as if they were objective truths, are really irritating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather