Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 06:38 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It IS a joke. People got stuck on the road for 17 hours because of 2 inches of snow? Gotta be the first time. Last time it happened in Chicago, and it was 2 feet of snow.

We had a similar ice storm a few weeks ago too, and it impacted the entire city of 2.8M, and 10,000 people were out of power because of it. But we handled it. Nobody got stuck in their cars for hours and no kids were unable to get back home.

What happens in Atlanta is simply stupid. People simply can't drive on snowy/icy roads? Well, better give back their driver's license.

I am sick of "but people there are not used to this kind of condition" argument. We are human beings, and we adapt to the nature - it is not some gigantic earthquake or hurricane. It is just 2 inches of freaking snow and everyone just freaked out. totally pathetic.
It's not that the people can't handle it. Southerners do just fine in cold weather conditions, believe it or not. You know what you have in Chicago that we don't in the south? Road equipment to deal with it. Let's see how you special Chicagoans handle it when we take away the city's army of snow plows and salt trucks. Officials in Atlanta should have handled it better, but you're comparing apples to oranges here.

When Sandy made landfall in New Jersey it wasn't disastrous because of the strength of the storm (a cat 1 is no biggie to regions that deal with them often), it was disastrous because they weren't equipped to deal with it. Make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 07:06 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
You know what you have in Chicago that we don't in the south? Road equipment to deal with it. Let's see how you special Chicagoans handle it when we take away the city's army of snow plows and salt trucks.
I agree. Cousin of mine works for DOT up here and he told me there's no equipment and no need for it down there. States are cash strapped so there is no point in ordering a fleet of plows or a ton of salt that would just sit there. He said even Virginia plows had dust on them when they brought them out yesterday.

The other factor people need to remember... ICE!! No matter where you live, if you don't have chains or studded tires or snow tires you will not go anywhere on the road with ice. Temps in the teens and 20s any melting from vehicle heat was freezing up on the roads and even salt is not effective at those temps.. People cannot ignore that. It's not only rare to get snow in the south but to have temps in the teens and 20s is just impressive and can't be forgotten.

Why people left the door is another story. Why the city didn't call in help from other states before hand is beyond me.

IEM :: Observation History

Old 01-29-2014, 07:15 PM

Map of snow totals from NWS New Orleans

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/rtimages/lix...2014_01_28.png

Old 01-29-2014, 07:17 PM

NWS Atlanta snowfall report. I see many areas that got 2-3" snow. Couple spots with 3-4"

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/fxc/f...mage_full1.gif

Old 01-29-2014, 07:47 PM

Sleet being reported in southern SC and Georgia

0937 PM SLEET HILTON HEAD ISLAND 32.19N 80.74W
01/29/2014 U0.0 INCH BEAUFORT SC EMERGENCY MNGR

BEAUFORT CO EMA REPORTED LIGHT SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN WITH SOME ICING ON HIGHWAY 278 BRIDGE.

---------------------

0911 PM SLEET 1 ENE VERNONBURG 31.97N 81.10W
01/29/2014 E0.0 INCH CHATHAM GA 911 CALL CENTER

CHATHAM COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS CENTER REPORTS SLEET ALONG INTERSTATE 95 AND HIGHWAY 204. NO NEW ACCULUMATIONS AT THIS TIME.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:51 PM

Comparison of forecast vs actual in SC/NC

https://twitter.com/EdPiotrowski/sta...14790492438528

"Our forecast for snow/Ice and what we actually got. More sleet meant less freezing rain and lower snow totals "

Old 01-29-2014, 07:53 PM

Charleston South Carolina

"Rare Charleston sleet and snow. Meeting Street."

https://twitter.com/JimCantore/statu...25858748243968

Old 01-29-2014, 10:53 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Is Alabama and South Carolina facing the same problems as Georgia?
I haven't heard about South Carolina, but I know that Alabama is dealing with the same problems.

Somebody from Birmingham posted on a weather forum this morning that he was disappointed in the lack of national news coverage on the situation in Birmingham, especially compared to Atlanta. I told him that it's a blessing in disguise because everybody's busy laughing at the incompetence of Georgia and Atlanta while ignoring the equal incompetence of Alabama and Birmingham.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:51 AM

I wanted to post this before I forget.

This is the actual weather balloon launch over Peachtree City, Georgia at 7pmEST January 28, 2014.

In simple terms this is like you are standing outside looking straight up into the sky. This is showing the vertical profile of the atmosphere at that time.

So start at the bottom and look up the graph. The right black line is the temp. The left is the dewpoint. Where they meet = moisture.

Long story short, it's impressive to see for down south. All layers of the atmosphere were below freezing and the column was full of moisture.. So snow was falling from 10,000 feet and not melting in any layer all the way down to the surface ...and Cold!

Old 01-30-2014, 10:21 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Some parts of the Northeast and Midwest have a greater chance of reaching 100 degrees in the summer than parts of the South though. But it goes both ways, when we see hurricanes/heat/etc. people from the south are the first ones to comment about how they get it worse, even though that isn't always the case.

"You call that a hurricane? We call that everyday here in Florida!" (Then how is it still on the map? )

"That's what New Yorkers call a blizzard?" That's just a normal Tuesday in Canada!" (Please. )
Umm I live in Texas and we can have months of 100+ degrees, no place in the Northeast/Midwest can see that kind of sustained heat.

100 degrees in Chicago is a heatwave and makes news. 100 degrees in Austin is a standard summer day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather