Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:42 PM

16 posts, read 27,704 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies everyone!

This is obviously going to take a lot of research on my end. Yes, I will need to find employment when I get there (or before, whatever.) My whole career thus far has been in retail and warehouse; hopefully I can stay out of retail because I hate dealing with customers. So a warehouse setting that's not too "factory" if you get what I mean....I'm not a carpenter or a machinist or anything like that.

Anyone concerned about "cold" for me...I'm from Wisconsin. Lol, not an issue. I actually don't mind the cold as long as it's not 50 below. It's mostly the snow that drives me insane.

Colorado, Boise, and Spokane, and Reno definitely do interest me. I was contemplating living somewhere "closer" to Vegas..Big UFC fan here and living close to Vegas may allow me to go to an event for once! But I wasn't sure about cost of living and snow.

Seattle is still my dream. Maybe Port Orchard WA would be an option? Or Eugene Oregon, it's still in the PNW and from what research from what I've done, that climate is most appealing to me. But the COL is sort of a deal breaker.

Any more "specific details" anyone can give me on these places, would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:58 PM

300 posts, read 438,603 times
Sounds like you have some westward ho travel plans in your future.
Eugene is college town, (DUCKS) with sports and all the other goodies associated with major unverisy. Port orchard is a suburban and home to quite a few former navy folks. I'm still pushing flagstaff, another college town. Do you see a theme...?
There's nothing like boots on ground recon to give you the lay of the land. Good Luck.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:01 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
You might want to check out the Medford/Ashland area of southern Oregon. I had a nice vacation there in Sept. 2007. Ashland is the pricier of the two cities, but they are only 15 miles apart. Medford will probably have something in your price range. It is HQ for the Harry and David chain of stores that sells primarily fruits, chocolates and gift baskets. Snowfall is minimal at most (usually a little in January). There can be warm/hot afternoons with low to moderate humidity in the summer, but evenings are significantly cooler. Far less rain than coastal Oregon or Portland.

Crater Lake National Park is about 80 miles away. There is also a tiny, but charming town called Jacksonville in the area with an Old West ambiance. Ashland is renowned for its many Shakespeare plays and festivals. It also has very good restaurants. Be sure to eat at Alex's Restaurant. Very good food and service with an outdoor deck that overlooks the city's largest park.

Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather