Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 03:45 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,573,976 times

Advertisements

I made this map quite voluntarily few days ago, and I wondering if those places which have the least thundery month in summer and the most thundery month in late autumn, winter and early spring, this could prove to be a way to classify them as true subtropical climates.

Well, many people tend to classify that by average temperatures, tough this could help too.
As a Spaniard weather enthusiast, I always thought that Mediterranean climates being classified as true subtropical climates too are located only in the southern Iberian coast, whereas anywhere north of it is not subtropical but warm temperate, just some kind of "Mediterranean warm temperate" in most of Iberian peninsula, and temperate oceanic in the far N and NW.

What's your opinion?

//www.city-data.com/forum/34618221-post26.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 04:15 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
I guess it depends on the type of thunderstorms.

In hot summer climates, convection would be the main source of thunderstorms, and that would typically slow down during the colder months.

In a climate like mine, contrasting warm/cold air masses is the main cause, and this increases during the colder months, as there are more cold fronts. Warm air masses are constant all year, so their frequency, doesn't really impact the timing of thunderstorms.

Higher latitude climate (similar to mine) that don't get frequent winter thunder, could perhaps have less warm air masses nearby? - I suppose that could be a sign of less subtropical-ness

Old 05-07-2014, 03:46 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,573,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I guess it depends on the type of thunderstorms.

In hot summer climates, convection would be the main source of thunderstorms, and that would typically slow down during the colder months.

In a climate like mine, contrasting warm/cold air masses is the main cause, and this increases during the colder months, as there are more cold fronts. Warm air masses are constant all year, so their frequency, doesn't really impact the timing of thunderstorms.

Higher latitude climate (similar to mine) that don't get frequent winter thunder, could perhaps have less warm air masses nearby? - I suppose that could be a sign of less subtropical-ness
Maybe for NZ, but there is another way to explain it better by southern European standards:

Subsidence during summer by subtropical high is quite strong to avoid summer thunderstorms by convection, and that often happens anywhere south to 37 paralel on western side of continents, such as southern Andalusia and Morocco (except for the core of Atlas mountain range which have frequent summer thunderstorms too).
Cold fronts are frequent in winter in southern Andalusia, Morocco and Canary islands so thunderstorms reach its peak from November to February.

Anywhere north of Sevilla thunderstorms reach its peak in summer, in spite of the driest season of the year, which probably indicates there aren't true subtropical climates but warm temperates, regardless of being mediterranean (most of Iberian peninsula), or temperate oceanic (N and NW part of Iberian peninsula).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather