Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If the super record setting El Nino materializes, which outcome is most likely?
Zero hurricanes in the North Atlantic all season 4 22.22%
NYC has its first completely snowless winter on record 4 22.22%
Los Angeles gets a direct hit by a hurricane 1 5.56%
High of 80 F (27C) in Minneapolis in January 2 11.11%
I stop making these "which is most likely" polls 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:26 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,888,487 times

Advertisements

We might be heading towards a record setting Super El Nino; if it happens, it will probably start as a weak El Nino early this summer, becoming a strong El Nino by early fall and remaining so through winter before letting up in spring. Here are three possible (but unlikely) results of the upcoming El Nino: Vote for the one that is the most likely:

A) The Atlantic Ocean sets a record for ZERO hurricanes for entire season

B) New York City gets its first winter with zero recorded snowfall

C) Los Angeles gets a direct hit from a hurricane in September

D) Minneapolis hits a high of 80 F (27 C) in January

E) I stop making these "which is more likely" polls.

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 05-12-2014 at 09:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 08:43 PM

29,523 posts, read 19,620,154 times
I'm sure that there have been seasons with zero North Atlantic hurricanes.

Extremely unlikely that NYC will be able to go an entire winter with no snow

I think it is possible for LA to see a hurricane, albeit a weak one imo....

There is no way that Minneapolis will see an 80 degree temp in January.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I'm sure that there have been seasons with zero North Atlantic hurricanes.

Extremely unlikely that NYC will be able to go an entire winter with no snow

I think it is possible for LA to see a hurricane, albeit a weak one imo....

There is no way that Minneapolis will see an 80 degree temp in January.
I meant in the Atlantic Ocean in general; not just the extreme north part. A hurricane can form the Gulf of Mexico but not in the Atlantic Ocean. 80 F in Minneapolis is highly improbable in January but I wouldn't say it's completely impossible; It's definitely more possible than snow in Singapore, rain at the South Pole, or a sharnado in Los Angeles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwsqFR5bh6Q

But more likely than any of the scenarios in the poll is that the moderator deletes this poll for me exceeding the poll limit which is fine with me.

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 05-12-2014 at 09:30 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 09:35 PM

29,523 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
I meant in the Atlantic Ocean in general; not just the extreme north part. A hurricane can form the Gulf of Mexico but not in the Atlantic Ocean.
I believe that has actually happened

Quote:
The exceptions were in 1914, when there was a lone tropical storm that existed from 15-19 September and crossed east to west off the Atlantic, across southern GA and down toward southern LA. There were no known hurricanes that year.

Eleven years later, in 1925, one tropical storm occurred from 6-7 September, moving out of the Gulf of Mexico across Mexico and the southern tip of Texas. Then, there was a very late season hurricane that formed on 29 November and lasted until 4 December. That storm moved from the Gulf of Mexico across Florida and up the southeast coast, with the center eventually moving northeast across the Pamlico Sound and Outer Banks of our state.

Read more at Has there ever been a year when there where no hurricanes, tropical depressions, etc? :: WRAL.com

Quote:
80 F in Minneapolis is highly improbable in January but I wouldn't say it's completely impossible; It's definitely more possible than snow in Singapore, rain at the South Pole, or a sharnado in Los Angeles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwsqFR5bh6Q

But more likely than any of the scenarios in the poll is that the moderator deletes this poll for me exceeding the poll limit which is fine with me.
I'm sure at some point in history, there was an 80 degree temp in January where Minneapolis now sits. Go back far enough time.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I believe that has actually happened

I'm sure at some point in history, there was an 80 degree temp in January where Minneapolis now sits. Go back far enough time.
Minneapolis has seen 80 F in March so what if that freakish springlike weather occurred in late January? Also places like Washington D.C. and Oklahoma City have seen 80 F in January as well so it's not as outlandish as some of my other "which is more likely scenarios". As for those hurricaneless seasons in the Atlantic, it was way before satellite era so chances are there were hurricanes out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean but no one observed and recorded them. I don't believe there have been any hurricane free seasons since the satellite era so it would still be an outlier event if this year is the first one.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:44 PM

277 posts, read 315,042 times
THe record Jan high in Minneapolis is 58F.

Case closed herp de derp.

As for the poll, I vote E.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:49 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,974,461 times
I vote B.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:39 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,161,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Minneapolis has seen 80 F in March so what if that freakish springlike weather occurred in late January? Also places like Washington D.C. and Oklahoma City have seen 80 F in January as well so it's not as outlandish as some of my other "which is more likely scenarios". As for those hurricaneless seasons in the Atlantic, it was way before satellite era so chances are there were hurricanes out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean but no one observed and recorded them. I don't believe there have been any hurricane free seasons since the satellite era so it would still be an outlier event if this year is the first one.
D.C. has not officially seen 80F in January, but the National Arboretum has. And even D.C. is 16 full degrees of latitude south of Minneapolis, so not really comparable. March dynamics are of course much different from those in January; the earliest 80F in MSP was still 2012-03-17, in the 2nd half of the month, and even that was the warmest March by a margin of 3.4F.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:01 PM

529 posts, read 556,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin34 View Post
And even D.C. is 16 full degrees of latitude south of Minneapolis, so not really comparable.
Minneapolis is at 45N.
Washington DC is at 39N.
That makes a difference of SIX degrees, not sixteen.
Oh accuracy, where art thou?

Old 05-13-2014, 12:14 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,161,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
Minneapolis is at 45N.
Washington DC is at 39N.
That makes a difference of SIX degrees, not sixteen.
Oh accuracy, where art thou?
Oh, drop it... I am much more of an information lead then you could ever dream to be...I thought D.C. was at 28.9N for that short moment. Still makes little difference in my argument.

Last edited by Qilin34; 05-13-2014 at 12:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather