Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 06:52 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
I hear all the time that water is "healthy". Uh, how could this be? There's nothing in it. If anything, it's "healthless".
I never heard that water is healthy. I heard it is required by the body, but not healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Sugars in general aren't bad for you if you burn off the extra calories. Of course, a diet made mostly of simple sugars isn't the best. But fruits do have some nutrient benefits over say, processed candy bars. And so are healthy in moderate amounts.
Exactly. The excess sugars that aren't used get converted into fat. But, like I said previously, there are people who are more "sensitive" to sugars, those are the pre-diabetics and diabetics. You need carbohydrates to function properly, but you need an appropriate amount. Typically 50% of your total calories should be carbohydrates. I stick to established guidelines, and so should everyone. The most important thing, limit soidum intake, and eat a balanced diet. I've been successful in transitioning to a balanced diet (the vegetable part I have a hard time with though) and I feel better already. I haven't eaten fast food in 2 weeks now. 4 more weeks to go and I'll break my previous record

Old 04-28-2015, 06:56 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I never heard that water is healthy. I heard it is required by the body, but not healthy
The fools I talk to keep trying to convince me.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
The fools I talk to keep trying to convince me.
Lol, tell them that to be healthy, it needs nutrients. Straight water has zero nutritional value, therefore, it can't be healthy. But, you need it to survive. Water is to us like electricity is for electronics

Old 04-28-2015, 06:59 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,634 times
Quote:
Lol, tell them that to be healthy, it needs nutrients. Straight water has zero nutritional value, therefore, it can't be healthy. But, you need it to survive. Water is to us like electricity is for electronics
Yeah, exactly. I see them drinking copious amounts of water, telling me "It's good for you."

Old 04-28-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah, exactly. I see them drinking copious amounts of water, telling me "It's good for you."
They're just gonna pee all of it out all that water they're drinking is going straight to the toilet, literally.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:44 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
That's not what my nursing education has taught me. Diabetics should NOT be eating an excess amount of fruits, nor anybody, but especially pre-diabetic and diabetic patients. Fruit WILL raise your blood glucose levels. It won't raise them as high as refined sugars, but it will raise them. Fructose and sucrose (table sugar aka refined sugar) ALL get broken down into glucose. What do diabetic blood tests measure? Blood glucose levels. I repeat again, fructose and sucrose both get broken down and converted into glucose, the carbohydrate the body can use. Both will raise your glucose levels, and this is especially important for diabetics. Everything needs to be eaten in moderation. The American Diabetes Association recommends talking to a dietician about the amount of fruit that is appropriate in an individual case. So, that implicitly says you can't just eat any amount of fruit and you'll be fine.
My Godmother has diabetes and she is taught she can eat Fruits but not juice, Cakes, Biscuits, cookies or any added refined sugar.

Did you watch the video?

I don't know what you've been told but Fruits are highly beneficial for us they contain fibre (which most people on a Western diet don't get enough of), high in Vitamin C and minerals essential for Human health. Restricting Fruit intake because it contains naturally occurring sugars is ridiculous.

carbohydrates gets converted to sugar, should we stop eating rice and potatoes?

Also every cell in our body needs glucose to run on including our brain eating a couple bananas won't overload our bodies to store the sugar as fat.

Its like the argument about fats. Many people think ALL fats are bad and the same its not you have Omega 3 an then you have Bacon fat.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:50 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Exactly. The excess sugars that aren't used get converted into fat. But, like I said previously, there are people who are more "sensitive" to sugars, those are the pre-diabetics and diabetics. You need carbohydrates to function properly, but you need an appropriate amount. Typically 50% of your total calories should be carbohydrates. I stick to established guidelines, and so should everyone. The most important thing, limit soidum intake, and eat a balanced diet. I've been successful in transitioning to a balanced diet (the vegetable part I have a hard time with though) and I feel better already. I haven't eaten fast food in 2 weeks now. 4 more weeks to go and I'll break my previous record
You have a balanced diet but you are having a hard time eating the most healthy food for Humans on Earth. What are you eating?

I don't go a day without eating Fruits and Vegetables its impossible for me!

Old 04-29-2015, 05:10 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
It has no nutritional value but clearly it has positive effects on the body. Compare people who drink lots of water vs people who drink lots of pop. Admittedly the biggest difference is from not drinking pop, but since I stopped drinking pop and only water I've felt a million times better, my skin looks healthier, my pee is clear.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:36 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Just because something has no nutritional value doesn't mean it's not healthy. I guess oxygen isn't healthy either?

Anything that has health benefits should be considered "healthy". You can't hydrate yourself on soda and juice.

And another thing, maybe those people aren't necessarily saying water is "healthy". Just NOT drinking water IS unhealthy.

60% of your body is made of water. How can it not be healthy?

On another note, I woke up 5:45 AM this morning to "help" my brother move. I guess if you consider "help" as doing 90% of the work as help then I did my job . At least I got a decent early morning workout I guess.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:40 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
My Godmother has diabetes and she is taught she can eat Fruits but not juice, Cakes, Biscuits, cookies or any added refined sugar.

Did you watch the video?

I don't know what you've been told but Fruits are highly beneficial for us they contain fibre (which most people on a Western diet don't get enough of), high in Vitamin C and minerals essential for Human health. Restricting Fruit intake because it contains naturally occurring sugars is ridiculous.

carbohydrates gets converted to sugar, should we stop eating rice and potatoes?

Also every cell in our body needs glucose to run on including our brain eating a couple bananas won't overload our bodies to store the sugar as fat.

Its like the argument about fats. Many people think ALL fats are bad and the same its not you have Omega 3 an then you have Bacon fat.
You know it's funny, when I first started getting into working out (when I was 18-19) I used to think all fats were unhealthy too and I cut them all out. I was wondering why I was constantly feeling tired and with not enough energy. I re-introduced fats (healthy ones; like almonds, salmon, etc) and I felt much better!! Your body needs fats too. Just because it's a "fat" doesn't mean you're going to look like Buddha after eating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather