Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 07:57 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I can't say voting is completely worthless there, but it pretty much is here. Democrat or Republican: they're two sides of the same coin. Democracy is a powerful illusion. The ones with means have bought & paid for the politicians in both parties.
That's why I tend to vote for third party candidates. Everyone says it's a wasted vote, but I think a wasted vote is voting for the 'lesser of two evils'.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:57 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Its by district there, right? Like American House of Representative seats? My district is a safe Democratic seat, when boundaries were redrawn for the 2012 election, we had a new representative. It was so obvious he would win again, when the representative visited there was a local event "meet your new congressman" even though he hadn't been elected yet. The US was primaries though, elections within parties. And a few states like California, the top two for all the primaries go to the general election, so in a Democrat district the choice might be between two democrats rather than a democrat and a republican that has no chance at winning.

An American site that analyses politics is covering the British election. Here's an article they posted:

[url=http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/six-lessons-nate-silver-uk-election/]Six Things I Learned While Traveling The United Kingdom In An Airstream Trailer | FiveThirtyEight[/url]
Hmm interesting, that article is pretty good, and does comment on the tactical voting that you often see over here because of the way the election works.

It is does by districts here (they are called constituencies over here and are usually quite small). For instance, the constituency next to me is actually normally a Green Party seat, which is weird as in my area they got less than 8% of the vote last election.

I just wish I could ensure that my vote counted, and that can only happen if the system changes to a vote count across the country. At the moment, I have Conservative or Labour to choose from, with even Labour having less than a 5% chance of winning in my area. That leaves me with a choice to either protest vote, or pick my party and effectively waste my vote as they'll never win..

Old 05-04-2015, 07:59 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
You probably have received attention before, but haven't noticed it. Women aren't exactly "straight-forward" when it comes to giving those signs off. I've had about 3 or 4 women in the past who told they liked me before, and I never would have guessed it. Worst part is, I liked them too at the same time they liked me.
Now don't start with "women are" and "women aren't" as if it's one collective person. Many of them are straight forward and would prefer to be, but it seems they are trained to suppress that.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:59 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
Anyway I try not to talk about politics because i've gotten into rows with BAD people before.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:00 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Hmm interesting, that article is pretty good, and does comment on the tactical voting that you often see over here because of the way the election works.

It is does by districts here (they are called constituencies over here and are usually quite small). For instance, the constituency next to me is actually normally a Green Party seat, which is weird as in my area they got less than 8% of the vote last election.

I just wish I could ensure that my vote counted, and that can only happen if the system changes to a vote count across the country. At the moment, I have Conservative or Labour to choose from, with even Labour having less than a 5% chance of winning in my area. That leaves me with a choice to either protest vote, or pick my party and effectively waste my vote as they'll never win..
Well, your vote still contributes to the overall total, even if your MP is unlikely to change. What we need in the UK is Proportional Representation.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:00 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I can't say voting is completely worthless there, but it pretty much is here. Democrat or Republican: they're two sides of the same coin. Democracy is a powerful illusion. The ones with means have bought & paid for the politicians in both parties.
It's pretty similar here.. Labour or Conservatives which are very similar nowadays. In the US system they would both be considered left wing parties, but Labour has edged further away from the left in recent times.

The only important point for Thursday will be who sides with Labour or Conservatives to form a coalition

Old 05-04-2015, 08:02 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
That's why I tend to vote for third party candidates. Everyone says it's a wasted vote, but I think a wasted vote is voting for the 'lesser of two evils'.
The "winner-take-all" structure of our system is the reason third parties are all but useless.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:02 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
For ****ing christ stop bloody ignoring me don't be so bloody rude. Just flipping say if you don't want me involved! Its bloody low, especially when I take time out of my day to make a reply!

Old 05-04-2015, 08:03 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Now don't start with "women are" and "women aren't" as if it's one collective person. Many of them are straight forward and would prefer to be, but it seems they are trained to suppress that.
They think their hints will do all the work. Any excuse to avoid showing obvious interest.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:03 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Anyway, I don't think Labour and the Tories are similar - they are fundamentally very different. The current Labour party has drifted back to the left after the Blair years. They are probably more different now than they have been for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather